Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Goals, Resolutions ... ?

Mark Terry posted some fine goals (pointedly not resolutions) on his blog today, and he got me thinking. What is the difference between a goal and a resolution?

Probably not much, aside from our perception of them. Just for some good old fun, though, let’s play the lawyer’s game and go at it:

res·o·lu·tion

  1. The state or quality of being resolute; firm determination.
  2. A resolving to do something.
  3. A course of action determined or decided on.

goal

  1. The purpose toward which an endeavor is directed; an objective.

Hmmm ... that makes a resolution sound like a decision, albeit a decision with determination. A goal, on the other hand, is more like a light at the end of the tunnel.

No wonder resolutions are such problems. A decision doesn’t give you anything to look towards, really. Does it? A goal gives you that eye-on-the-ball sort of focus. But a goal without a resolution doesn’t exactly work, either.

If a resolution is the starting point, and the goal is the ending point, then what’s in between?

The journey? The daily mindfulness? Seems to me, that’s the most important part. So what is between? What do you think?

After all the word-study is done, I think I like Winnie the Pooh’s definition of a New Year’s Resolution the best:

"It’s a promise to be a better person in the New Year."

I can certainly get behind that!

Mine are coming soon. I’m behind on them. In fact, it’s only now that I’ve had a chance to look at last year’s goals and resolutions. I still need to evaluate them, sit down with them and stuff.

I need a day. Things keep coming at me. Every where I turn, I see more I should do. Do you know, I haven’t been going to sleep until 4 in the morning because I keep feeling like I have so much more to do ... even though I’d been working for 16 hours that day?

And did I mention this is during the week that I’m off work???

I hope everyone had a great holiday season, and I hope that 2008 will be our best year yet! Lots of hugs and love to you guys! May all your dreams and goals and resolutions come true!

Happy New Year!

3 bonus scribbles:

Anissa 1/01/2008 08:09:00 PM  

Happy New Year! May 2008 be all that you dream it could be.

Karen Olson 1/01/2008 08:47:00 PM  

Hugs to you, too, Natasha! Happy New Year, and I hope 2008 is everything and more!

Edie 1/02/2008 08:38:00 AM  

Happy New Year!

2008 is going to be great!