Wednesday, January 09, 2008

The Lost Thought

I think I’ve mentioned before that DH is the organizing person, and I am the creative person. We complement well.

But when he’s gone?

Well, this is what my life turns into:

  • 10:15: Finally done with work! Must go deposit a check and get a quick bit of food from grocery. Approximation of time: 25 minutes.
  • I get the check, my purse, my scarf.
  • I walk out to the car. Realize someone said they’d drop off a check, so I check the back "studio" mailbox. Nothing.
  • Realize I didn’t stamp the check. I go back in the back door, go stamp it, go back out.
  • Then I realize they may have dropped it in the real mailbox out front. Go out front. Yes! They did!
  • Go in the front door. Open envelope in the studio. Get thirsty, go into waiting room for drink of water. Go back in studio, stamp check. Leave out back door.
  • Get to the bank. Grab checks --- wait, only one check. Get out of car, look in passenger seat, backseat, underneath the seats. Give up and deposit one check.
  • Go to grocery store. Find those singing and dancing plush Christmas toys are 75% percent off! Buy a few! And am so relieved I finally got paid, I buy some bath salts to celebrate.
  • Go home. Forgot to buy FOOD at the grocery store. It is now 11:45 and I still haven’t eaten dinner. I search the house for the check, find it, and head back to the bank ATM.
  • Deposit it. Go home, almost sleeping at the wheel.
  • Get home at 12:30, forgot to get food. Go to bed, too tired to eat anyway. Time spent: 2 hours and 15 minutes.

Appropriately, this Emily Dickinson poem arrived in my Inbox via DailyLit this morning:

THE LOST THOUGHT.

I felt a clearing in my mind
As if my brain had split;
I tried to match it, seam by seam,
But could not make them fit.

The thought behind I strove to join
Unto the thought before,
But sequence ravelled out of reach
Like balls upon a floor.

I knew there was a reason I loved Emily Dickinson.

9 bonus scribbles:

StarvingWriteNow 1/09/2008 12:44:00 PM  

Yes, the achilles heel of organization--if one thing goes wrong, it can all unravel so easily. I try to be organized and most days I am (that constant inner voice is a blessing) but then there are those other days...

Avery 1/09/2008 03:12:00 PM  

Oh, the inner voice. I'm never lonely because it's always yapping about what needs to be done. Then, it makes me make lists, and charts of the lists, and then file the lists alphabetically...

I scare myself sometimes.

J.K. Mahal 1/09/2008 03:50:00 PM  

Love the poem. Absolutely.

There definitely are days when I can't put together anything. Like last week, when I went to the store for food and some cleaning supplies, bought 4 types of chocolate and forgot the cleaning supplies. I had a list and I still forgot. Sigh.

I feel ya.

Aimless Writer 1/09/2008 08:43:00 PM  

Ok, spy; FOCUS! You remind me of an easily distracted kid. :)
(this is said with love!) But then I'm a virgo and I make lists for everything. Some lists even have subcatagories. Let me guess...are you Aquarius? Capricorn?

Barrie 1/10/2008 05:53:00 AM  

Oh my goodness. I feel like I should deliver a meal to you. What an evening.

Bernita 1/10/2008 08:00:00 AM  

Emily's poem nails it.
I imagine veryone goes through occasional fits like that. I suspect your mind was really on something else, not on chores.

Kate S 1/10/2008 07:09:00 PM  

Oh, my gosh, Spy, I was laughing out loud at this one. I have days like that all the time. My heart goes out to you.

Edie 1/10/2008 10:46:00 PM  

OMG! Spy, I do the same thing all the time. My office is upstairs, and I think I get most of my exercise walking up and down the steps to get things I forget.

spyscribbler 1/12/2008 12:44:00 PM  

Writenow, everything unraveled when he left! I didn't realize how much he did before I woke up!

Avery, LOL. I'm loving lists, too. I finally figured out I have to stop making lists and start checking things off, or else I can make up stuff to do all day long!

LOL, J.K. Four types of chocolate? Can I come over?

Aimless, I'm Libra. I definitely need to focus! (I remind DH of an easily distracted kid, too.)

LOL, Barrie. It's a rare night I don't eat. In fact, that's the first night I can think of in YEARS! I could do without a meal, LOL. :-)

Bernita, yeah. Actually it was on too many chores, or trying to remember mine and DH's and the business's all at once.

Kate! A kindred spirit!

LOL, Edie. You can always find the positive side, can't you? That's cool. :-)