Saturday, January 05, 2008

P.S. I Love You

Last night I went to see P.S. I Love You.

Wow.

I’ve heard around the writer’s blogosphere various grumblings about Cecilia Ahearn. I haven’t read her book yet, but the movie was incredible.

I cried, then laughed, then cried (we’re talking streams of tears), then laughed (we’re talking barking out loud), then repeated that for the entire length of the movie. As I was watching, I worried it was going to be one of those top-heavy comedies, where all the laughter is in the beginning; it was well-spread through the entire movie.

Using the word comedy is misleading, because it’s mostly a drama about a young, thirty year old widow whose sexy Irish husband dies at thirty-five and leaves her a series of letters, timed over the year after his death, with the intention of helping her heal.

This is one of those movies that I will see again and again, both in the theater and when it comes out on DVD. I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s one of those movies that I end up watching every couple days for weeks on end.

And I haven’t done that with a movie since Hope Floats came out years ago.

That’s how good P.S. I Love You is.

Anyway, now I understand why people clean when depressed. (DH has left now, but only three months until he gets home!) I got up and cleaned, (strictly by accident; one thing just sort of led to another), and WOW! Cleaning really lifts depression.

I feel great! To part, here’s a video of the P.S. I Love You trailer:

11 bonus scribbles:

Kate S 1/05/2008 09:26:00 AM  

Thanks for the review, Spy. I cried just during the trailer.

My thoughts and best wishes are with you. I hope the three months just fly by with good things until your DH comes back.

Zoe Winters 1/05/2008 11:28:00 AM  

I've been wanting to see that movie, mostly cause James Marsters has a small part in it, and I was a Spike fangirl.

Edie 1/05/2008 11:48:00 AM  

I'm in love with Gerard Butler just from the trailer.

You're the second person who told me how great it is. If my husband won't see it with me, I'll go myself.

Spy, I hope the three months fly by too.

Travis Erwin 1/05/2008 11:49:00 AM  

My wife still watched Hope Floats every other week or so so I guess I should take her to see this one.

She'd toss me aside in a secodn for Harry Connick J.R.

spyscribbler 1/05/2008 02:11:00 PM  

Kate, I know, me too! And I wasn't a Hilary Swank fan, but I am now. And thanks! I'm cleaning tons. :-)

Zoe, I didn't know that about James Marsters. He had a cool part, though.

Oh, Edie, this movie is one of those movies that may get a slow start, but pretty soon word of mouth has to kick in. This movie is incredible. In fact, I might just go see it again tonight.

LOL, Travis, really? Definitely! She'll love it! Although, you're lucky. Harry Connick Jr. plays a dork, albeit adorable dork, in this movie. ;-)

Karen Olson 1/05/2008 04:54:00 PM  

Sadly, I see no movies for adults when they first come out, have to wait for DVD. But I love Hilary Swank, and this looks like a good chick flick that I can indulge in when my husband's out. (The most recent film I've seen in the theater is ALVIN AND THE CHIPMUNKS. Definitely a feel good movie, but hardly one to be taken seriously.)

Zoe Winters 1/05/2008 07:33:00 PM  

I loved Gerard Butler in "Dracula 2000" I have such a weakness for vampires. But with dracula movies in particular I'm always so sad that he doesn't get the girl. If I'd been that chick in Dracula 2000, I would NOT have been kicking that out of bed. Meow. yummy.

Zoe Winters 1/05/2008 07:34:00 PM  

Spy,

you didn't know James Marsters was Spike on "Buffy"? OMG the second he showed up on the screen all vamped out with his leather coat and cigarette dangling and accent I was drooly puddle on the floor.

spyscribbler 1/05/2008 10:49:00 PM  

LOL, Karen. That's kinda sad! It was an amazing experience. I think I'm going back tomorrow night. :-)

Zoe, I don't know how, but I sorta missed the Buffy bandwagon. Every episode I saw, I loved. I especially loved the original movie. I think it came out back when I hardly watched any TV, or maybe it competed with Charmed or something else I watched. Strange, though, because I really did like it!

Bernita 1/06/2008 05:05:00 AM  

Cleaning = visible results = satisfaction/accomplishment!

Zoe Winters 1/06/2008 09:33:00 AM  

hehehe Spy, you've never missed the Buffy bandwagon, Buffy will never die. It's all on DVD. ;)

*stops pimpin the buffy*