Sunday, January 13, 2008

Stephanie Plum and Company

DH and I have grown addicted to listening to the Stephanie Plum series in the car. I’ve enjoyed the slower pace; I have more time to admire Janet Evanovich’s skill. You name a rule, Evanovich has broken it. People cut and slide their eyes all over the place, and I love it. She writes sparingly, but every word she writes is written skillfully.

Plus it’s funny.

What I can’t believe, is that after Hot Six, they changed narrators from the amazing C.J. Critt to Lorelei King.

Let me explain to you about voices. I memorize voices. If you call, I know immediately who you are. Even if I can’t remember your name. You can make a pretend voice all you want, and I’ll know your voice. I’ve got, like, perfect pitch for voices. And that’s after hearing it one time.

C.J. Critt can do different voices. And I’m not talking raising her voice here or there, I’m talking she sounds like five different people in her recordings. Her narration of the Stephanie Plum series is AMAZING.

So good that I googled C.J. Critt so that I could listen to other stories she’s done. Imagine that! Choosing a novel by the narrator!

But after Hot Six, the Stephanie Plum series is narrated by Lorelei King. King reads in this fuzzy, sleep-inducing tone, and her voices all sound like her. Grandma Mazur’s voice, in particular, is annoying as all get out. The rest is just boringly read.

I read and thought that C.J. Critt must have quit narrating, but no. She’s narrating the Evanovich’s NASCAR girl series. Barneby what’s her name.

So I’m just pouting that I can’t hear the rest of the series narrated by C. J. Critt. It’s like the difference between a second grade very-bad-actor and Al Pacino. There’s no comparison.

WHAT WERE THEY THINKING???

Anyway, I’ve been unable to find the BBC Jane Eyre at the library or at my local rental stores. So I’ve been watching it by YouTube. Oh. WOW.

You guys were right. I love every instant of it (I’m on the second episode), and come February 1, I’m ordering the movie. I have a feeling this is one of those movies I’ll watch over and over and over and over. Wow. Thanks for the recommendation.

If you don’t already go, check out Edie’s Sunday blog. She blogs something happy every Sunday evening, and I find myself seeking it out every week, looking forward to it.

So anyway, how was your weekend?

12 bonus scribbles:

julia 1/13/2008 11:23:00 PM  

'Jane Eyre' on YouTube? Thanks for telling me! Just watched the newest 'Persuasion' on 'Masterpiece Theatre'. Loved some of it, but I love the film version with Ciaran Hinds better.

Edie 1/14/2008 12:23:00 AM  

I'll check out the You Tube Jane Eyre. That sounds like fun. I don't spend enough time in the car to listen to books now, but in the past I did. I remember listening to a monotone reader, and I had to stop. Shudder.

I blogged about happiness this week, but I didn't know I was doing it every week. I'll have to go back and look. Now I feel the pressure. lol

StarvingWriteNow 1/14/2008 07:38:00 AM  

I watched it on PBS the first time it came out and was enthralled. I think I may even have blogged about it because I liked it so much. Toby Stephens as Mr. Rochester... hubba hubba!

Aimless Writer 1/14/2008 07:43:00 AM  

I always listen to books in my car. One of the Plum books was narrated by an actress. I can't remember her name right now but she had a thick NY accent. (and she didn't do voices) It was so annoying (Steph is suppose to be from NJ so the NYC accent was sooo out of place!)I never bought another Plum book on tape. I'm glad to hear she didn't keep using this woman! Now I might reconcider. I love books on CD and I do find myself prefering one reader over another.

Wendy Roberts 1/14/2008 10:25:00 AM  

I've been meaning to check out You Tube Jane Eyre, sounds like it'll make my to-do list even sooner!

I love the fact that you can memorize voices. What a great skill.

Zoe Winters 1/14/2008 10:33:00 AM  

Don't worry, I got the Jim Butcher Series on Audio because James Marsters (guy who played Spike) narrated it. And even though he doesn't really have a british accent (which I already knew cause I'm pathetic enough to know these things), his voice is H-O-T! Meow. Yes I will listen to anything he narrates.

Avery 1/14/2008 12:17:00 PM  

I'd long thought I wasn't into audio books, but then I started getting bored with music at the gym, so I downloaded The Virgin Suicides for the endless miles on the elliptical. I really enjoyed it. So much so, I kept listening to it after my workout was over--and then listened all day. I couldn't stop myself. It was like elementary school all over again. Circle time!

This weekend I made orange juice from the oranges sent back with me from Florida. The stores didn't have the one that would attach to my stand mixer, or even an automatic kind, so I bought the old fashioned reamer kind. You know how good a gallon of orange juice takes when you've spent three hours making it? Pretty darn good.

Zoe Winters 1/14/2008 01:24:00 PM  

Avery,

I should add that book to my reading list. Did you see the movie? I loved the movie.

spyscribbler 1/14/2008 02:05:00 PM  

Isn't it great, Julia? Although the BBC has removed several pivotal scenes, it'll do until I can get my hands on a real copy!

Edie, I find myself wanting to go in the car just so I can listen. :-) And I'm not sure you blog about happiness in particular, but every Sunday blog you write makes me happy, LOL.

Oh, WriteNow, I can't wait to get this version. I'm going to watch it every night for a month, probably!

Aimless, I bet that was from the abridged version. Yet someone else does that version, and I haven't heard that one yet. Ick!

LOL, Wendy, I never considered it a skill. I have a very distinctive voice. I guess since everyone always recognized my voice, I assumed I was supposed to recognize everyone else's. To me, they're as plain as faces are to other people.

Now faces, I just can't do.

LOL, Zoe! I'm really going to have to check this Spike guy out, aren't I?

Oh yummy, Avery! I just made orange juice from one orange with one of those old-fashioned things. It made half a cup. Your hand must have been sore after a whole gallon!!

(And I'd have drunk the whole gallon right then and there.)

Good question, Zoe. I enjoyed the movie, too, but haven't read the book.

Melanie Avila 1/14/2008 10:29:00 PM  

Hi! I stopped by after you posted on my blog. I assume you found me through Mark Terry's blog, where I've seen you in the comments.

Your blog looks really interesting - I'll be back for sure.

Felicia 1/15/2008 02:27:00 PM  

I agree with you a hundred percent about the narration of the Plum books. I so thoroughly enjoyed the ones I checked out from the library with Critt narrating them. But King? Ugh. I can't take the change so I've been forced to read them in print. Not too harsh of a punishment though since they're so darn funny! :)

spyscribbler 1/15/2008 02:41:00 PM  

Melanie, I did find you via Mark Terry's blog, and I loved your blog. Thanks for stopping by mine!

Isn't that the truth, Felicia? I am SO disappointed! I've read them in print and I'm listening to them. With Critt reading them, it's most fun to do both!

But still, reading them is good. I wish they'd redo them with C.J. Critt reading, though.