Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Three Tools for the New Year

1.) I just discovered this fabulous article on How To Be Creative. Evidently it made a lot of rounds back in 2004, so quite a few of you might have read it. If you haven’t, it’s fabulous.

2.) If you’re trying to build a new habit, you probably know that it takes a little while to make it permanent. (Some say 4 weeks, some say 21 days, some say 40 days.) Don’t Break the Chain is a very simple, small way to help you track your goal. You simply click a box on each day you do the new habit, and try to make a long chain of "in a rows." You can even add it to your blog or to iGoogle.

3.) Joe’s Goals is another clean and simple way to track your goals, in a small chart that tracks with smileys or frowns. Again, it’s little, easy, and simple.

Simple is one of my goals for 2008.

It’s starting to feel like 2008. Wow, 2008. What a relief. 2008. (Give me some leeway to say 2008 over and over and over. It helps me make it feel real. Helps me feel like 2007 is behind me.

2008 feels exciting. 2007 feels a little smelly and old and unlucky.

2008 feels very, very, very lucky. I’m loving 2008 already.

I’m working on a lot of changes. 2007 was great, but things feel ... off. I haven’t found my right rhythm yet. I want my life to be very different, though, which means I need to make lots of changes. Which is why it’s taking me so long to come up with New Year’s Resolutions.

Hey, it’s 3:37. This is getting ridiculous. I can’t wait to get back to a real schedule. I have so much to do, so much I want to do, that I’ve been staying up later every night.

I could go to sleep. I’m tired, so it’s not one of those icky insomniac periods. It’s just, I don’t want to waste time sleeping. There’s so much I want to do and accomplish.

Have you ever had periods where you just don’t want to sleep? Although a warm, snuggly bed is starting to call to me ...

7 bonus scribbles:

Edie 1/02/2008 09:06:00 AM  

I hope you slept, Spy. I do have periodds where I don't sleep as well. It's more likely to happen when it's warmer. I tend to hibernate in winter, sleeping better.

I loved Gaping Void, and added it to my bookmarks. Thanks for the heads up.

I've heard the 21-day habit thing. If we can just make it through January, keeping our goals, we'll be good to go. :)

bella mocha 1/02/2008 12:06:00 PM  

This is a great blog and I'm happy to have found you! You have so much to keep me curious and interested- I'll definitely be back. Happy New Year too- it's never too late for a good find!

StarvingWriteNow 1/02/2008 01:57:00 PM  

The Gaping Void guy is pretty cool! Thanks for that link.

BTW, are you going to the meeting on Saturday? I have to work so no go for me. I need to pay my dues too (ack!)

Rhonda Stapleton 1/02/2008 03:27:00 PM  

ROFL. You totally crack me up...

PS--thanks for the link on Japan. FASCINATING reading!!

Ello 1/02/2008 06:18:00 PM  

I have been so off schedule these days because of the holidays! I can't wait to get back into a better work groove. Happy new year!

spyscribbler 1/02/2008 07:53:00 PM  

Isn't that a cool site, Edie? I was so glad to have discovered it. I've mostly heard the 40 day habit thing, but I think I like the 21 day habit thing better. :-)

Thanks for stopping by, Bella! It's always great to meet new bloggers. I love the 365 day challenge! Good luck!

I don't know, WriteNow. I'm feeling really overwhelmed, and DH is leaving tomorrow night, so I don't know. I should. Gosh, I just don't know. I'm allowing myself Friday and Saturday to be self-indulgently depressed, and then it's back to work!

spyscribbler 1/02/2008 07:54:00 PM  

Wasn't that cool, Rhonda? I swear, I'd just read it an hour or two before I saw your post. :-)

Ello, I can't WAIT for the "regular" schedule. I have one heck of a time sticking to a schedule, but me without a schedule is not a pretty picture.