Monday, January 21, 2008

The Writer's Strike

I’m not gonna get political about it today. I’m just going to say this: TV sucks without writers. I’m not much of a reality TV fan, and I’ve gone through the cycle of Star Trek Voyagers three times now since last summer, all seven seasons. I started watching M*A*S*H repeats again, even though I have every episode practically memorized.

So I’m seriously considering cancelling my TV service until the writer’s strike is over. I’m paying eighty bucks a month to watch no television. It’s a ridiculous waste of money. The TVs haven’t even been on in weeks.

I miss Chuck and NCIS and Shark and House and Brothers and Sisters and Numbers and ... can you believe that 24 has been canceled for the spring? Of course you can.

The Numbers producer was fired on Black Monday. EVIL STUDIOS!

Most of all, I miss Men in Trees. And The Unit.

Although, I hear that the creator of Gilmore Girls has a new show. Is it on yet? What’s up? Are you watching anything? Is anything on? What do you miss most?

8 bonus scribbles:

Liz Wolfe 1/21/2008 08:26:00 PM  

I miss so much! Currently The husband and I are watching Kyle XY and Cashmere Mafia. That may be the only two new shows that we're catching. Thank goodness for DVDs. We're starting 24 over again from the first season. After that, we'll probably review all the Alias seasons. And we're watching a lot of movies. I was thinking about subscribing to Netflix to see some TV shows that we haven't watched yet. I hope everyone is missing new shows as much as I am so the strike will get resolved. And I'm all for the writers getting what they deserve, so as long as it takes, I'll just watch DVDs.

Edie 1/21/2008 09:41:00 PM  

I don't watch a lot of TV. Medium is on in 20 minutes, and I'll watch that. American Idol is on tomorrow and Wednesday night. I'll watch Boston Legal tomorrow night. They have a new episode. After that, I probably won't watch much the rest of the week. It will give me time to read and write. :)

I wish the writers lots of money. They deserve it!

StarvingWriteNow 1/22/2008 06:42:00 AM  

I got the "Dexter" first season from the library and really liked it. Other than that I've been watching reruns of Man vs. Wild, Top Gear, Trick My Truck and Project Runway. Reading more than anything.

Erica Orloff 1/22/2008 06:43:00 AM  

I never watch a lot of TV, but I miss Chuck and Pushing Daises. But now, I just read. I think, in a way . . . it's a good thing (sort of). Maybe people will embrace some new hobbies and will read more, talk to their families more, instead of filling that gap with the crap they are trying to apss of as entertainment (i.e., a lot of reality tv).

Aimless Writer 1/22/2008 07:16:00 AM  

I watch Criminal Minds and Desperate Housewives. That's all. Now I'm wondering why I need a TV at all. However I am getting more writing done.
:)
I will watch the new season of Survior in February!

Josephine Damian 1/22/2008 07:50:00 AM  

Spy, maybe "24's" hiatus has to do with Keifer's jail time?

I like a show called "Life" but it hasn't been on since Dec.

I'm looking forward the new HBO series "In Treatment" - 1/2 hour show - but 5 nights a week, and it has the actress I picture in the role of my WIP's MC, so I have even more reason to tune in.

Aimless - with Survivor, Big Brother and Idol all running soon, I may be pressing my DVR into service.

Susan Helene Gottfried 1/22/2008 12:47:00 PM  

I miss Dog the Bounty Hunter, which has nothing to do with the writer's strike. Otherwise, I'm watching hockey, but that's not new. I do that anyway.

StarvingWriteNow 1/22/2008 02:05:00 PM  

I go for the eye candy. Bear Grylls, those Pickett Brothers on Trick My Truck, the cute short guy on Top Gear... you get the idea. I also like watching Andrew Zimmern eat all that wacky food in exotic locales--especially when he can't finish it because its so gross!--and Anthony Bourdain too. He's not handsome, but he's tall and dark and he's got moxie.