Sunday, January 20, 2008

Writing Practice and Zen Habits

I’ve only been eeking 100 - 500 words a day, which means I haven’t had much to say about writing because I’m barely doing it. For me, it’s really something I need to practice every day.

I’ve noticed my skills are deteriorating: my sentences on blogs, comments and in emails are getting so downright sloppy that I’m embarrassed, LOL. Next week, from Monday through Friday, Mary Castillo is hosting a Book In A Week. (Okay, it’s not a whole book; it’s however many words are your goal.) I’m hoping that will get me back on track!

In the meantime, I’ve been pursuing avenues to diversify my income (for more financial stability so DH never has to leave again!) and change a lot of things in my life. Y’all know I’ve been wanting to do one thing at a time, and I’ve found a blog I absolutely love the best:

Zen Habits

This guy is a real, sincere guy. He’s the real deal. I discovered him through his post on How to Be an Email Ninja. Great advice, loved the article, but then I discovered there were more, even much better ones:

After I’d gone linked here and there, I’ve finally just stopped and started reading his posts in order, from the very beginning of his archives. They’re that good. Once in awhile he repeats himself, but it’s always with a tiny twist that I can actually apply easily to my life today.

And it’s not about changes. It’s more about simplifying, focusing, quieting. Finding time for joy and love and happiness. So that’s my life. I’m a high-stress person by nature and a worrier, so I have to learn how to be low-stress without being stressfully ambitious about it, LOL.

So are you game for a writing challenge this week? How do you handle stress? And how was your weekend? (I just worked on the not-yet-up spy thriller website - coming soon!)

6 bonus scribbles:

Zoe Winters 1/20/2008 11:30:00 AM  

hehe I would LOVE to do the writing challenge, but unfortunately these kinds of challenges are why I have 2 novels to edit and one novella. I have to get caught up before I start another rough draft. Though I'm excited I'm going to go ahead and start laying planning and research foundation for the next novel. It's going to be pretty dark and I'm really excited about it. I write basically two categories of stuff, really fluffy and really dark lol.

Anyway...

To destress I do yoga and bellydance and soak in the tub and read. Sometimes I go for walks.

As for your 100-500 words a day, don't beat yourself up. 100-500 words a day adds up over the long haul. Remember the tortoise is the one who won.

Edie 1/20/2008 10:05:00 PM  

I'll be editing my book that's almost done and researching my next book, so no challenges for me. But I am so ready to write again. I've got the itch. Another week or two, and I'll begin.

Thanks for the Zen link. I'll check it out, but not tonight. Too many blogs to catch up on. I've been busy this weekend. Very social for me.

Aimless Writer 1/20/2008 11:08:00 PM  

I let the stress build up and then I scream. We once had a woman at work who drove me absolutely crazy. She created so much stress and I was trying so hard to stay nice and professional that I was about to have a nervous breakdown. When I left work I would close up my car windows and scream at the top of my lungs as I drove away.
It helped...
:)

StarvingWriteNow 1/21/2008 07:40:00 AM  

Hey, I went to Borders yesterday while son was at the skate place. I didn't see you... but I did manage to have an okay time anyway. I even wrote a little bit.

lainey bancroft 1/21/2008 08:34:00 AM  

Need advice on Zen Habits...

Must not follow link! Must not follow link!

You're just trying to distract me so I don't get my words down for Mary's challenge, aren't you? =)

Holly Kennedy 1/21/2008 12:29:00 PM  

No challenge for me, sadly.
I have to dig into writing
my new novel so I don't fall behind my daily word count :)

However, I handle stress
by making friends with my treadmill. It's the only way I stay sane!