Monday, February 25, 2008

GREAT news!

First, and most importantly, I want to announce that our friend, Rhonda Stapleton, has just sold her YA trilogy to Simon & Schuster!!! I am tickled to death. We can say we knew and loved her "when."

Bookends is starting their Erotic Romance contest, closing tomorrow at 9 am.There have been absolutely fabulous entries! What's weird, is I never seem to find Erotic Romance of this high quality when I go searching for it. I'm obviously not looking for it in the right places. I'm going to search harder from now on.

And, shame on me, I didn't write today. For the first time in a long time, I've discovered a new author that I love so much, I am obsessively reading every single book she's ever written.

Phillipa Gregory is amazing.

I can't believe I haven't tried her stuff until now. Her characters are amazing, and the plot is rich with love, passion, betrayal, and (best of all!) spies!

I just wanted to pass on, that Book Lady mentioned that the RIF (Reading Is Fundamental) program is endangered. It gives out 16 million free books a year to the nation's youngest and most at-risk children. Here's what you can do -- and you don't even need to donate money to help.

Finally, to any uninsured people out there (considering somewhere around 1 in 5 people, but I don't remember exact statistics), guess what? CVS and Walgreen's are opening reasonably-priced clinics with nurse practitioners who can write prescriptions. I'm psyched. I hate paying $100 for someone to spend 5 minutes with me to write a little prescription.

19 bonus scribbles:

booklady 2/25/2008 11:17:00 PM  

Ooh, I've read several of Phillipa Gregory's books. They're very good, aren't they? Which reminds me, in looking at your recent reads and favorite authors, it looks like we have a ton of them in common. (Although I have to admit that I decided to give up on The Reincarnationist this weekend. I just could not get into it. The characters seemed pretty flat.)

And thank you so much for mentioning the RIF program. I cannot begin to say how much that program has affected my peers and me. I was lucky enough to grow up in a house filled with books, but so many children are not lucky enough to own even one book. The RIF program gives them that. Or, well, gave it to them.

booklady 2/25/2008 11:22:00 PM  

P.S. On the keeping-track-of-books thing: Have you ever used http://www.goodreads.com? I love it for keeping track of what I've read (including giving them reviews and rating them). It's also a good community and a way to find new things to read--as if my TBR pile isn't already large enough!

StarvingWriteNow 2/26/2008 06:03:00 AM  

I enjoy Philippa Gregory as well; she's very rich with the details and plot. Lovely reads.

Yes, Rhonda is very inspiring--once I get settled again I intend to pick up pen & paper and get back down with writing. Hey, did I tell you I'm closing in about a week?

Edie 2/26/2008 09:34:00 AM  

Congratulations, Rhonda! This is awesome news.

Spy, I love finding a new author I haven't read before, especially one who has a backlog of books I can read. And good to know about CVS and Walgreens. :)

avery 2/26/2008 12:25:00 PM  

Many congratulations to Rhonda. Very well done!

I have a friend who is a CVS N.P. and she's the bomb. Smart as hell, caring and competent. That's the thing with nurses, they actually are taught to care for the patient as a whole, instead of as a cluster of organs that happens to have a pulse.

Rhonda Stapleton 2/26/2008 12:36:00 PM  

Awwwwww, thank you guys! And yes, I ADORE Phillipa Gregory. Her novels are so fantastic...

Michelle,  2/26/2008 12:52:00 PM  

Congrats to Rhonda, that's great news! I haven't heard much of her recently, but she used to be a regualar MM visitor.

Mark Terry 2/26/2008 02:09:00 PM  

On the wonk-ish side, a lot of retail companies are offering clinics. I wrote a rather lengthy white paper on the subject recently and if you're a glutton for punishment, you can read it here:
http://www.g2reports.com/issues/advisory/advisory/mark_terry/238-1.html

Otherwise, yes, CVS, Walgreens, Wal-Mart and others. Meijers in some stores. Target in a few stores.

spyscribbler 2/26/2008 03:22:00 PM  

They are, Book Lady! I just finished The Queen's Fool. I want to start ... what is it ... The Virgin's Lover?

I didn't know about the RIF program until you mentioned it, but when I looked it up, it seemed like a fabulous program.

I've never used goodreads.com. I'm checking it out as we speak! :-)

spyscribbler 2/26/2008 03:23:00 PM  

WriteNow, you did tell me that! I am so excited for you! Are you going to post pictures? Or, at least, email me some? You found it so quickly; that's very lucky!

And I can't wait until you get back into the writing groove!

spyscribbler 2/26/2008 03:23:00 PM  

So true, Edie. I'm already mourning the fact that she *only* has six or eight books, LOL.

spyscribbler 2/26/2008 03:24:00 PM  

Avery, that's awesome. I think the largest problem with the medical profession in the United States is that they don't see the whole pictures, they only see one part at a time. I'm convinced that's why CFS has become so rampant.

spyscribbler 2/26/2008 04:14:00 PM  

Rhonda, I am so happy for you! I loved that title, Stupid Cupid. It rocks!

Mark, I don't read anything that starts with the words, "Executive Summary."

Okay, kidding. It's fascinating stuff. I, for one, am really grateful they've come to my community!

conley730 2/26/2008 07:52:00 PM  

Congrats to Rhonda!!! I'll have to check out the entries on Bookends. I'm usually not to into romance, but it sounds like there are some really great ones.

Yaaaaay for CVS & Walgreen's. Also, I don't know how many of you have Kroger in your area, but they are also offering $4 generic prescriptions now. Not that that helps with the dr. visit! That will be so nice to be able to see a nurse practitioner. They're building a new Walgreen's right by me...yipee!

mom2brie 2/26/2008 09:36:00 PM  

I love Phillipa Gregory's books too! Can't believe that I've never mentioned her to you. The Other Boleyn Girl was my favorite - and they are making a movie of it, but of course I'm usually disappointed with movie versions of books :)

Mark Terry 2/27/2008 07:27:00 AM  

Oh God, Spy! Don't read the damn thing! But there is a chart in there that summarizes the # of retail clinics in the U.S., some of the states and the companies hosting them.

spyscribbler 2/27/2008 08:30:00 AM  

LOL, Mark. Yes, it was actually useful, because I discovered that there's another chain in Ohio, The Little Clinic.

spyscribbler 2/27/2008 08:32:00 AM  

Conley, I love that! Are antibiotics available generically? I'll find out today. I hope so!

I love Walgreen's. I hope it's a 24 hour one! I can't tell you how many 2 AM runs I've made because DH or I was feeling miserable. (Note: I'm the one making the run, whether it's DH or I am sick, LOL.)

spyscribbler 2/27/2008 08:34:00 AM  

Nancy, I can't believe you didn't tell me, either! Okay, this is really weird, but the whole CleveNet library's catalog says they don't have any of her books. NONE. (Okay, I think they have ONE, but it sounds much more dramatic if I say NONE.) It's bizarre. She's pretty big, not to be in the library, don't you think?

I actually picked up the book because I saw the movie trailer and loved it. I'm going to see it this Friday; I can't wait.