Saturday, February 16, 2008

Kindesses and Guilt.

You know how sometimes things just aren’t going your way, and the more you organize and do what’s right, the more things randomly go wrong for stupid little reasons? And then you know how someone does something so kind, you want to cry?

Okay, if you step back a little, it’s a little funny that I now consider it a kindness when someone offers to pay me quickly after I give them the goods. But still. It is in our society today.

Them’s the breaks of self-employment, LOL.

I’m a little depressed because I have to call and cancel my auto insurance from Nationwide. I adore my insurance man and he’s a friend of the family, but it’s costing me $300 extra a year for a guy I only see once a year. So I’m switching to Geico. I feel terribly guilty.

How do you do something like that? Am I a horrible person? He always smooths the way and makes it easy when I have a claim. Ah well, it’s done, time to pay the piper.

I hope y’all have a great weekend!

8 bonus scribbles:

Erica Orloff 2/16/2008 09:38:00 AM  

OMG, but that is ME. I agonize over hurting salespeople's feelings.

LOL!
E

spyscribbler 2/16/2008 09:43:00 AM  

Oh, man, I feel so guilty I can't even tell you. I actually had the impulse to call up my mother and ask her to call him! Of course, that would be ridiculous. But it was a nice fantasy.

Susan Helene Gottfried 2/16/2008 12:15:00 PM  

Sometimes, it's worth the extra money for the service you get. Long story short, we proved that this week, also with car insurance.

Hang in there. I, too, am so frustrated I could scream right now. I keep telling myself this is a temporary thing, but it's not helping.

Edie 2/16/2008 05:27:00 PM  

Spy, if it's any consolation, I feel guilty too. But insurance companies make a lot of money off of us, and you're doing the smart thing and the right thing.

Angie 2/16/2008 08:40:00 PM  

One thing that occurs to me is to call him up and tell him you can get the same thing from Geico for $300 less per year, and ask him what he can do for you. If he can cut you a deal then great, and if he can't then he should understand exactly why you're switching. Worth a shot, right?

Angie

spyscribbler 2/17/2008 02:58:00 PM  

Susan, we'll both be chanting "it's temporary!" I hope you're okay ... were you involved in a car accident? Is everyone okay?

That's true, Edie. That's what I keep telling myself.

Angie, I should have thought of that. It's too late now, but I really should have thought of that!

Aimless Writer 2/17/2008 03:33:00 PM  

Tell him you're getting a better deal and ask if he can match it. At least then you'd know and have given him a chance to meet the price.
I need to find a new doctor as I feel the one I go to now doesn't understand thyroid treatment. He's a real nice guy so I'm stalling. I know I have to do it but...

spyscribbler 2/17/2008 06:50:00 PM  

I wish I had thought of doing that, Aimless. I really do.

I'm sorry about the doctor. Finding a good doctor who listens is so hard! Thyroid imbalances can really affect your life a whole lot, though.