Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Mark Won! And Another Contest ...

Every time I have a recital, parents thank me and say what a good job I did, which always feels a little weird to me. Their kids did the work. Sure, I steered them, but they put in the time.

At the same time, I also feel really proud of them, which is also a little weird, because I didn't birth them. I don't have any (for lack of a better word) "ownership" in their person. So what right do I have to feel proud?

The same goes with blogging. When you visit someone's blog for awhile, you have nothing to do with their success, and yet you can't help but feel proud.

LOL ... maybe what I'm feeling is pride in my taste for blogging friends. *grins*

Just kidding.

Anyway, remember that contest I talked about last week? Well, Mark Terry won! He's guest-blogged here before, and he just finished up a fantastic nine-part series on the hows, whats, and wherefores of freelance writing. And now he's won BookEnds mystery contest.

And now they're launching the "PARANORMAL ROMANCE/ROMANCE WITH FANTASY ELEMENTS/FANTASY WITH ROMANTIC ELEMENTS CONTEST."

Deadline is tomorrow morning at 9 am.

I'll have some better posts up this week. I've got the mother of all colds. Do colds make your brain turn to stupid slush, too? I feel like I've dropped forty IQ points, or something.

17 bonus scribbles:

Aimless Writer 2/19/2008 04:00:00 PM  

I know what you mean of being proud-lol. As soon as I saw Bookends Blog this morning I emailed Mark to make sure he saw it. I was excited for him.

Sorry about your cold. I hope you feel better soon. My daughter is home with the flu...yuk!
I'm popping the vitamin C.

conley730 2/19/2008 04:33:00 PM  

Thanks for visiting my blog! Those boys always give me something to write about. I'm going to have to read the Plum book since you wrote about Lula. She's one of my favorite characters. She keeps me in stitches!

Travis Erwin 2/19/2008 04:47:00 PM  

I too think it is great when any of us blogging writers find success. Seems like a supportive bunch to me.

spyscribbler 2/19/2008 07:06:00 PM  

Aimless, isn't that cool! We can say we read his blog when. :-)

Ugh, the flu? I don't envy your daughter!

spyscribbler 2/19/2008 07:07:00 PM  

Conley, you gotta read Erica's Demon Baby blog. It's a riot! (I love Stephanie Plum. I'm head over heels for Ranger. I'm bordering on a fantasy/obsession with Ranger.)

spyscribbler 2/19/2008 07:08:00 PM  

Travis, isn't it great? Bloggers are THE coolest, in my book.

Michele 2/19/2008 09:02:00 PM  

"Do colds make your brain turn to stupid slush, too? I feel like I've dropped forty IQ points, or something."

Spy, YOU don't come across as someone who is losing IQ points when ill (you're always brilliant)...I, however, know I am slowly losing the battle with my IQ. And considering I've pretty much been ill since the beginning of December, that's...Okay, I can't even come up with a number--that's what it has come to. :-(

I always feel proud when I find out a blogger friend has great news or a success story to share. We're there with them when they're struggling and when they're riding their high. That's part of the community. It's great! And I think we all need it to some degree. :-)

Hope you feel better!!

Edie 2/20/2008 12:23:00 AM  

I recognized the name, and was excited for him. It was a great entry.

Slush exactly describes my brain when I have a head cold. It's a good time to read instead of write. And chicken soup really does help.

I hope it goes away soon.

Bernita 2/20/2008 07:49:00 AM  

I love reading the entries in contests like these.
So many great stories.
And I like when I remember reading the winner as I was going through.

Bernita 2/20/2008 07:54:00 AM  

Let me add,I remembered Mark Terry's immediately.
I think that says something about his entry.

conley730 2/20/2008 03:49:00 PM  

I checked out the Demon Baby blog. I think we should get our kids together LOL! BTW, I have the same fantasy/obsession about Ranger too!

Mark Terry 2/20/2008 04:51:00 PM  

Well, what a sweet entry--thank you. I'm flattered. I really am. And I'll be as delighted as anyone when I get to go to Borders and pick up your espionage novel.

It was a definite pick-me-up. I would add, of course, that when I entered Nathan Bransford's entry and didn't make it into the top 6, I was in a funk for a couple hours, which is probably not healthy, but you do kind of go, "Hey, I'm a professional, if I expect to make a living at this, shouldn't I at least end up in the top 10%?"

And you go thru and read all the entries going, "Hmmm, mine's better than that one, huh, that's pretty good, that one might be better than mine, that one sucks..."

Of course, it's totally subjective (more or less), but winning was sort of a pat on the back and I definitely needed it.

And, pretty much as a result, I've decided to block out a specific time each day to give to fiction, whether I can exactly afford it or not. I decided, as I've decided before, this is as much about soul and quality of life as it is about making money, so give yourself time for it.

spyscribbler 2/20/2008 05:05:00 PM  

Oh, Michele, that's a long time. I hope you feel better soon!

I hate chest congestion.

spyscribbler 2/20/2008 05:09:00 PM  

Edie, you're right! They even did a study about that, I remember reading that somewhere.

My brain is way slushy!

spyscribbler 2/20/2008 05:20:00 PM  

Bernita, isn't that cool when that happens? These contests are growing on me. They're fun!

spyscribbler 2/20/2008 05:21:00 PM  

Conley, I'm so in love with Ranger, I can't even tell you!

spyscribbler 2/20/2008 05:26:00 PM  

Mark, I'll just be delighted to make an espionage novel work under my fingers!

That's a good way to put it. It is a quality of life issue. For some reason, writing calms and centers me.

It's the thinking about writing that drives me crazy, LOL.