Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Ranger Wardrobe.

Today was the day when I hit that point in my WIP where I hate it. Where I think it completely sucks and I should throw the whole thing away. Where I think the whole foundation is weak and I'm sure everybody's going to read it and say, "Look at them plot holes! Good God, I could get a fleet of cruise ships through them!"

I've tried a new desktop blog editor, and it won't transfer what I've written on my laptop to my desktop. Which means I've got a real writing post for you guys, written a few days ago, which tells you how much I love writing and how I'm in the honeymoon phase.

When I finally get it up, understand it was written on Monday.

The honeymoon phase is over. OVER!

So let's talk about my favorite obsession lately: Ranger.

In Ten Big Ones, Stephanie Plum goes through Ranger's closet and drawers. He's got 13 pairs of black cargo pants, 13 black Range Man t-shirts, 13 black long sleeve Range Man shirts, 6 black hooded Range Man sweatshirts, 6 black sweaters, 1 black suit jacket, and 1 pair of black silk boxers.

I have got a serious crush on this guy.

Anyway, it reminded me of Erica Orloff, who only wears black to keep things simple.

My kinda person.

I wanted to get all the same socks, so losing one wouldn't matter, but every time I need more socks, they don't have my kind. So now I have an assortment of black socks. They've been washed varying amount of times, and are various shades of faded grey and purplish black. Even the matched socks don't match anymore.

Anyhow, it got me to thinking. What would I wear if I could simplify like that? No doubt I'd have 6 pair of black jeans and 13 pair of black yoga pants. Black on my upper half washes my skin tone, so I think I'd go for white on top. 13 white turtlenecks, 13 white t-shirts.

Simple.

If I wanted to frill up, I could accessorize with scarves.

What do you think? Could you ever simplify your wardrobe like that?

21 bonus scribbles:

conley730 2/20/2008 03:34:00 PM  

I am so in lust with Ranger. I could probably go with the 13 pairs of black pants, but I'd probably get sick of wearing the same color shirts all the time. I'd have to mix that up a little. Don't get too down about your WIP. It will all fall in place once you quit stewing over it.

Edie 2/20/2008 11:53:00 PM  

I could never wear all black all the time. I love color -- although once in awhile I like wearing black too. Which brings me to another reason I don't wear black often. It's a cat hair magnet. I can't wear black clothes in the house or I look like I'm wearing hair clothes.

Good luck with your ms. I just emailed LaDonna and told her I hate the first page of my ms. and need to write something different.

Zoe Winters 2/21/2008 12:58:00 AM  

I was watching Red Eye last night (this very funny news commentary that comes on Fox News at 3 am) and they were talking about people who wore just one color. It was pretty wild.

If I had to pick one color to wear I'd pick black because there is so many cool things you can get in black. Like leather pants.

Erica Orloff 2/21/2008 06:53:00 AM  

Blacak. All day. All night (black pjs). Never wear anything else. If I find a black shirt I like, I buy four of them.

Recently added white blouses from the GAP for variety. Bought three of them.

Don't want to think when I open my closet. I'll waste brain cells on other things.

YES, I simplify. LOL!

Aimless Writer 2/21/2008 08:07:00 AM  

I'm more a Morelli kinda girl. ;) Even though I'm from New Jersey where half the population wears black, I rarely do. Not because I don't like it but rather-I live with a golden retriever and some kind of greyhound mix that leave tumbleweeds of tan hair all over the place. Tumbleweeds love black pants. They see you walk by and jump up to attack. I think they hide under furniture, waiting for some unsuspecting black fabric to walk by. Its a tough life but the rewards are there too.

Karen Olson 2/21/2008 09:49:00 AM  

I've got four pairs of black pants, three black skirts and one pair of black yoga pants. I like black. Everything goes with it.

I stopped reading Evanovich a while back because I can't stand that Stephanie can't make up her damn mind about either Ranger or Morelli. Too frustrating. And too many blown up cars.

Aimless Writer 2/21/2008 03:49:00 PM  

Karen: I think subconciously Stephanie Plum wants them both!
;)

Karen Olson 2/21/2008 06:53:00 PM  

Oh, aimless writer, perhaps Evanovich should let her have both...at the same time! Now that would be an interesting read, wouldn't it? :)

spyscribbler 2/21/2008 07:10:00 PM  

Oh, Conley, I can't even tell you. I want Ranger so much ... although, part of it might be just a little bit of transference from missing DH. :-)

spyscribbler 2/21/2008 07:13:00 PM  

Edie, I could wear black on my lower half all the time. About the cat hair magnet, we have four. But, um, I'm a little absent-minded that way. I can't tell you how many times we show up somewhere, and DH looks at me horrified. "You've got cat hair all over you! And what did you spill all over your shirt?"

Let's just say, I don't pay much attention to my appearance. I just don't notice. Too busy thinking, LOL.

And about the first page, good luck! I have such trouble moving on until I know the title and then the first line. And then the first page. I must go in order. :-)

Aimless Writer 2/21/2008 07:15:00 PM  

Spy; I keep a lint brush in my car. You don't see the hair until you get out in the sunlight. Kinda like some reverse-vampire hair

spyscribbler 2/21/2008 07:15:00 PM  

I wish I would have seen that, Zoe! I think I could do black and white with pink accents. And one red dress. You have to have one red dress, right?

Plus black is slimming. Hence, my bottom half is almost always wearing black. :-)

spyscribbler 2/21/2008 07:17:00 PM  

Black PJS! Hah! Erica, I didn't realize it had gone that far! I only have Christmas PJs and old t-shirts and shorts. If it didn't sound so risque, I'd ask you if you wore black underwear, too, LOL.

I understand about the brain cells. There's not room to think about everything, and one must prioritize!

spyscribbler 2/21/2008 07:19:00 PM  

Morelli? Morelli? Aimless!! Okay, I like Morelli. He reminds me of a fireman I dated. But gawd, Ranger. I want Ranger. I dream of Ranger.

Morelli's cool, though, in a more down-to-earth, realistic way.

See, now, I don't mind fur sticking to me. But I bet you look better. :-)

spyscribbler 2/21/2008 07:22:00 PM  

Oh, Karen, you sound like me! My bottom half does wear black, although I have one pair of khakis and one pair of blue jeans. I need black on my lower half, believe me. :-)

I think if she chose Ranger, part of his mystery (and his allure) would diminish. If she chose Morelli, too many people would be pissed off. (I'd probably cry and scream.)

spyscribbler 2/21/2008 07:24:00 PM  

LOL, Aimless. I do have one. DH puts it there, always grabs me, and then rolls it over me.

The truth has come out. When it comes to dressing, I'm helpless. (Or maybe the word is careless, as in could-care-less.) :-)

Aimless Writer 2/21/2008 07:48:00 PM  

Black underware???
Oh yes!
And purple
and pink
and orange
and blue
and red
maybe an animal print?
its a little secret excitement you carry underneath the mask you show to the world.

Angie 2/22/2008 12:21:00 AM  

I do that with socks. :) All my black socks are alike, and all my white socks. When I need new socks (which I don't all that often because I go barefoot most of the time) I buy at least a dozen pairs, and twenty is better. Then I wear them until they're dead, throwing out individual socks as the holes get too big or the elastic finally gives up the ghost. Since they're all alike, I can toss single socks until I'm down to one pair if I want. And by the time I need to buy more, it doesn't matter if they don't have the same kind anymore (which they usually don't -- my experience is the same as yours there) because even my "good" old socks at that point are so worn that I don't feel bad tossing them when I buy my dozen or twenty new pairs and start over.

Angie

Bernita 2/22/2008 08:04:00 AM  

"Today was the day when I hit that point in my WIP where I hate it. Where I think it completely sucks and I should throw the whole thing away. Where I think the whole foundation is weak..."

Ha! I hit that point more than once!
I like black. We have dogs.
The lint brush is my friend.

Bernita 2/22/2008 08:06:00 AM  

They invented permapress and made irons relatively obsolete.
Anyone who invents a fabric that repels pet hair will make a fortune.

spyscribbler 2/22/2008 11:05:00 AM  

LOL, Aimless. Gawd, I am so boring.

Angie, that's where I went wrong! It never occurred to me to buy all twenty at once. (Don't I feel stupid.) But that's brilliant! I'm going to do that. Finally, my plan will work!

Bernita, to DH's horror, I never pick up the iron. Ever. It's just not my thing, LOL. When they came out with that spray-on de-wrinkle stuff, he was very relieved!

You are so right about that fabric. Maybe you can explain this to me. Why does the cat hair stick all over me, but not on DH? Even after he picks them up, the hair does not cling to him.

I don't understand.