Thursday, February 14, 2008

A really cool writing contest!

Just when I thought I’d do my laundry today instead of write, I stumbled across a new contest at Bookends. I wanted to make sure y’all knew about it, although I’m pretty sure most of you read their blog, anyway.

I love how they’re doing this contest. They’ll be judging the following categories separately:

  • Mystery (traditional and cozy)
  • Paranormal Romance/Romance With Fantasy Elements
  • Erotic Romance
  • Women’s Fiction
  • Romantic Suspense
  • Contemporary Romance
  • Thriller/Suspense
  • Historical Romance

Today they’ve opened up the "Mystery Contest," and are accepting submissions through tomorrow morning at 9 a.m. You can submit up to the first 100 words of your story. Tres cool!

My biggest complaint about online writing contests is how the most "clever" story tends to win. You know, the ones where the story reads like an inside joke among us writers? Those are fun and have their place, but I have a feeling this one will be different. I’ll learn a lot by watching this one.

And I was going to do my laundry today. (As you can see, I’m making progress on that. What? You don’t think I’m catching up on blogs at the laundromat?) I’m all about making writing a priority, but it’s 15 degrees here and I’m wearing short-sleeves. I need to go do laundry. :-)

But tonight, I might just have to dig up that one idea I had in the future file ...

6 bonus scribbles:

StarvingWriteNow 2/14/2008 11:20:00 AM  

Sounds like fun! I may have to throw something on there, just for kicks...

Good news--my mortgage was approved and I'll be closing on March 5! Woo hoo!

Christina 2/14/2008 02:23:00 PM  

That's interesting. I'll have to take a look at that site. Right now I'm just chomping at bits, trying to figure this writing industry out.

Edie 2/14/2008 02:41:00 PM  

Congratulations to Starving Writer.:)

I was just over there. I decided to pass on the contest, but it's very cool.

spyscribbler 2/14/2008 06:32:00 PM  

Writenow, that is the coolest! I'm already in love with your bathroom!

Oh, Christina, Bookends is a fantastic site. Jessica Faust, an agent at Bookends, usually posts. I just love her positive energy about the book industry.

Edie, I have to dig through my files tonight. I still haven't done the laundry. I took a nap instead.

I'll do anything to procrastinate doing the laundry, LOL.

Avery 2/15/2008 01:22:00 AM  

Great opportunity. Not for my genre, of course, but, go, everyone else!

spyscribbler 2/16/2008 09:13:00 AM  

LOL, Avery. Yes! There's some great entries. It feels overwhelming to me.

You know, watching these contests is a great way to see things from an agent's perspective.