Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Rex, the Hamster

You would have thought my obsession with all things Stephanie Plum would have ended after I did the essay in Perfectly Plum, but no.  You know I've been listening to the entire series again on CD, right? I'm up to To The Nines.

As I was driving home this afternoon, I caught a sight of myself in the rearview mirror. There I was, drooling, while listening to Ranger.

Oh, dear God, Ranger. I swear, I love DH like crazy, but if Ranger were real and Ranger knocked on my door ...

*sigh*

I think I miss DH.

Anyway, lately I've been feeling like Stephanie's hamster, Rex.  I'm running as fast as I can, but all I'm doing is staying in place, spinning the hamster wheel.

I've been writing all week, but between the deleting, polishing, and re-organizing, I've been in the 19,000s all week. Only today have I gone over the hump into the 20,000s. Sheesh.

Then, I've been working on a website, but when I step back, it seems I've spent hours and gotten NOTHING done. Like, NOTHING. NO progress. This, I don't understand.

DH goes off to Timbuktu to work, partly so we have enough money to get my foot fixed, and my teeth have a little temper tantrum so my foot can't go to the doctor.

Sheesh.

To top it off, I've been running around so much that I believe that I've commented on maybe TWO blogs this week, and read just as few. THIS coming from someone who normally LIVES to read over sixty, eighty, I-don't-know-how-many blogs in my reader every day.

And for what? I swear, for all the time I've been running around, or sitting and writing, or sitting and working on whatever, I can't really pinpoint to one single thing I've gotten done this ENTIRE week!!!!

This must be the hamster race I'm living!

Ever feel like you're just running in place?

7 bonus scribbles:

Edie 2/13/2008 07:21:00 PM  

Uh, do you mean you wrote 20K words this week? And you call it running in place? I'd be jumping-up-and-down happy.

I know what you mean about running in place. I've been running in place for weeks, and I've finally made progress this week, so I'm happy.

I hope your teeth are over their tantrum now and you can get your feet to the doctor.

spyscribbler 2/13/2008 08:26:00 PM  

NO! LOL ... I meant, at the beginning of the week, I was in the 19,000s of my WIP. I've been writing and deleting all week, and I'm STILL in the 19,000s! Well, okay, just today I got to 20,026.

Yay for the progress, Edie! Does that mean you're starting a new WIP? I remember you're abandoning the cancer one. :-(

Erica Orloff 2/14/2008 09:12:00 AM  

I feel like Rex all the time.

Here's my typical day: rise at 5:30. Brew coffee. Blog. Wake family at each person's appointed rising time. Feed family breakfast. Change Demon Baby's first diaper of the day. Do two loads of laundry. Answer emails. Change diaper. Answer emails. Go find out what Demon Baby has destroyed and why he's so quiet. Do two more loads of laundry. Empty dishwasher. Try to write two pages. Stop because I hear a crash upstairs. Discover Demon Baby has decided to use my bed as a trampoline. Clean up lamp and assorted mess. Match socks. Come downstairs to make lunch for Demon. Write a page. And on and on until homework hour, permission slip signing, dinner, music lessons, bathtime, storytime, bedtime for assorted children, more laundry, more cleaning, more . . . and MAYBE I will get a couple of pages written. Drink more coffee. Try to stay awake to write more.

Rex, I know his life. :-)
E

Edie 2/14/2008 09:34:00 AM  

Erica, I remember the trampoline-bed days well. :)

Spy, I'm still on my old book, but I wrote a scene to insert in a chapter, and I'm getting critiques back from my CPs that I went over. I got another one this morning. Just three more, and they'll be done. And I'll be almost done!:)

spyscribbler 2/14/2008 06:27:00 PM  

You do know his life, Erica! I swear, that's amazing. I'd never get two words done. It's hard to believe he's only two.

Oh, very cool, Edie! Good luck on them! Good luck with coming up with a new WIP, too.

Angie 2/15/2008 01:53:00 PM  

Ooooh, yeah. :P I have things to do, I have things to write, I have story ideas and I even have scribbled notes and I even have my usual bunch of story beginnings (I always have a pile of WIPs on my hard drive, always have), but I can't seem to settle down and do anything. [headdesk] Very annoying.

Angie

spyscribbler 2/16/2008 09:15:00 AM  

Oh, Angie, that sucks. That's generally when I just pick something, who cares what. Even if it's the "wrong" choice, I've generally got it written in the time it would have taken me to decide.

Not that reason and rational choices ever work when my writer's brain is being ... writerly.