Thursday, February 21, 2008

Time Warner or Roadrunner, Anyone?

So I wanted to cancel Earthlink and DirecTV, and switch to a Time Warner and Roadrunner package, but I'm second-thinking it.

Anyone here have any experience with them?

Every time I call, they won't let me talk unless I give them my social security number, and they said they won't even install it unless I actually SHOW the technician my social security card.

And what's worse, the first time I called, this girl named Latoya answered, and she was SO full of resentment and boredom and unfriendliness, that I hung up and almost didn't order it.

I finally called back, and got someone else. He was cool, but then, at the end of the conversation, suddenly wanted me to mail in a copy of my DirecTV bill. I was like, why? And he was like, so you can get this pricing. I told him what if I didn't have DirecTV?

Hoops, hoops, hoops.

I did that. Now I need to change the installation appointment.

I called, waited FORTY MINUTES to change the appointment, and Latoya answered again. She refused to talk to me until I gave her my social security number.

THEN she told me she did NOT have a supervisor, and REFUSED to transfer me to someone else. And she told me I had to show the technician tomorrow my social security card.

That is insanity. I don't think so.

I gave it to them once. One time. I will not show it to all their employees..

I don't have these hoops with DirecTV or Earthlink. Sure, I'll save money, but I'm not sure it's worth it.

Sheesh. DirecTV and Earthlink asked for my business. Time Warner wants me to bend over and take whacks in order to do business with them.

I don't think so.

What cable do you have? What internet service provider?

I can't wait until DH gets home. I hate talking on the phone.

PS: Just did a google search for "Time Warner Customer Service." On the first page of results, I got this story, this story, this story, and this story. I don't think I'll be doing the switch. That's just the first page of results, and I didn't even put in "Time Warner bad customer service."

9 bonus scribbles:

Susan Helene Gottfried 2/21/2008 08:29:00 PM  

I'm no help, I'm afraid. We have a small, local cable company that handles cable and 'Net access.

Sorry. :(

I wouldn't put up with Latoya's shit, either. In fact, I'd call back and hang up if she answers and keep it up until you get someone else, and then I'd register a complaint about her.

But I'm bitchy like that.

Aimless Writer 2/21/2008 08:33:00 PM  

Email their customer service peeps. Tell them their service person is nasty and (miracle of miracles! is head of Time Warner because she says she doesn't have a supervisor).
I go to a writers group in Barnes and Nobles near here. One of the employees was a real bitch to the group. So....what happens if you piss off a writer? :)
We write! All 25 or so of us started sending snail mail to the CEO, copying the PR department and every level in between.
About two weeks later we got a nice appology and cookies.
:)
Never forget the power of the pen.
(or keyboard as they case may be.)

spyscribbler 2/21/2008 08:50:00 PM  

Wow, Susan, what I wouldn't give for a small, local cable company about now. Am I right? Each community is assigned ONE cable company? That really sucks. I want a choice.

Aimless, I just shot off an email. I was just reading on the net, and really, I don't think Time Warner is for me. When DH gets back, he can set it up if he wants. Otherwise, forget it.

Earthlink and DirecTV have AMAZING customer service. They're always nice, always friendly. Well, really, they're just normal. No hoops.

I am disappointed, though. I was looking forward to slashing my bills a little.

Edie 2/21/2008 11:41:00 PM  

Wow, you make me so glad I have Charter for my phone, TV, and Internet. I did have to give them my SS# when I signed, but I never had to show my card to anyone. Their customer service is always great.

It doesn't sound like signing with Warner is worth the hassle.

spyscribbler 2/22/2008 12:39:00 AM  

Yeah, Edie, that's where she and I stopped getting along. I gave them the number when I signed up. She shouldn't need it for a simple question, and the other guy definitely never said I needed to show a card.

It was pretty clear something was fishy, and even moreso when she wouldn't let me speak to a supervisor.

conley730 2/22/2008 11:21:00 AM  

I used to have DirecTV and Earthlink. I had no problem with either one of them. I moved into a condo and we're not allowed to have satellite there, so I have Comcast cable and internet. I haven't had any problems with them, but it's a lot more expensive than what I had with DTV & Earthlink. I have a friend in the Dallas area that had Time Warner and they were always experiencing outages and had bad service. She hated them.

felix 2/22/2008 02:21:00 PM  

Hey thanks for the link. :) TImeWarner customer service is consistenly terrible. I go through long periods of no problems with my internet service and it's awesome, fast and problem free, but when something happens and I need to talk to them... it's just awful.

I'd probably switch to FIOS if I had the opportunity, although I suspect the customer service is just as bad. Sigh. Isn't it great that the FCC believes that we all have a choice of broadband providers?

J. L. Krueger 2/22/2008 03:06:00 PM  

I used to have Time Warner cable, ditched them for DirecTV. They could not match the HD capabilities or variety. Being a Dallas Cowboys fan living in North Carolina, the clincher was DirecTV's Sunday Ticket so I don't miss any Cowboys games. And yes, Time Warner's customer service was the pits.

When we did have Time Warner, we looked into Roadrunner, but again, too many hoops and intrusive software. My DSL service performs much better than my neighbor's Roadrunner.

Therese 2/23/2008 12:26:00 PM  

VERY strange... We've had TW and RR for 8 years and NEVER have had a bad experience of any kind. Not one time. When I have a service-related issue the customer service is stellar (and I never have to give my SSAN). Technical service is also stellar.

I know how you can solve your troubles: move to Raleigh! :)