Thursday, March 20, 2008

4 Places To Go; A Bunch of Questions For You

I've been meaning to tell you guys about four great links. I keep forgetting, so let me do that first.

  1. Please read this story about an amazing woman raising three kids with autism. If you read any writing lists, you've probably "seen her around town." Please share, if you can.
  2. Then there's this story about another amazing woman with Crohn's Disease, and a man who's running a marathon to help out.
  3. Our friend, Edie Ramer, has started a group list where writers can get together and share promotion tips.  There's another great promo list at Murder Must Advertise. They're both great. I read both daily.
  4. And today, Copyblogger posted Three Sure-Fire Tips for Beating the Boring Content Blues.  There's genius in there, and not just because he was inspired by his father, a jazz musician.

I think he's right. I have to write every day, or things get fuzzy and stale. My skills deteriorate. I can feel it. It drives me crazy.

In fact, it's true, my best writing gets done on Fridays, when I can write all day long. The uninterrupted flow and concentration is something I have difficulty reproducing on those days when I have a million other things to do.

Alternately, a day or two or a week off of a story, can help clear things up when you go back to it. That's why sometimes I write bits of the next WIP. Or bits of something else. Or squeeze in a short story.

It keeps the gears oiled while I give the WIP some "cure time."

Plus it's nice, when you finish one WIP, to find that your next WIP has a significant foundation.

That's it for me. My saving-money-on-food experiment failed. I had no idea how eating (mostly) right was keeping me from a relapse. And my saving-money-on-gas-by-staying-home-for-five-days experiment also failed. That just makes me crazy. I might not post for a few days (sometimes when I say that, I end up posting a ton, LOL). I need to get my brain and body in working order again.

Go Yoga!  Go Macrobiotic Diet!

So what about you? How do you manage your writing time and flow? How do you balance staying in the zone with the cure time needed to polish a piece? Do you work on one thing at a time, or do you sometimes reward yourself with a quick scene in a future WIP? A short story? Do you take days off writing?

Happy writing, all!

3 bonus scribbles:

Aimless Writer 3/20/2008 08:19:00 PM  

Where do you find all this great stuff! I love the sites you posted. Thank you.
Some days I have to force myself to open the WIP but once I do and start reading I'm sucked in. Critiques make me slow down. I think then I have to absorb and contemplate before working their opinions into my work. Concider, keep some, toss others.
Thanks again for these great sites. I'm going to go play on the Three Sure Fire tips site now...

Edie 3/21/2008 12:03:00 AM  

Thanks for linking to the promo group we set up. And Murder Must Advertise is awesome! They're so organized.

I'm just starting my new book. I like to write so many pages a day, but it takes awhile to get up to speed. I do one project at a time, and I usually stay on it until I'm done.

Josephine Damian 3/21/2008 10:35:00 AM  

Spy, if I had my way I'd never leave the house (even if gas was cheap, which it ain't). If only my supermarket delivered! I've got five more class periods to go this semester, and then I'm done with live classes, then rest will be independent study (as I write my master's thesis) and one online class.

I've cut back on goingto my writers groups' meetings - long drives plus too much time away from home (translation: the keyboard).

Right now it's all about strikng a balance between fiction writing and school - 9 more months and school will be over! Woot!