Monday, March 03, 2008

Another Contest. And Ranger Again.

BookEnds has announced their winner for the Erotic Romance Contest, and they're accepting entries for the Contemporary Romance Contest until Tuesday morning at 9 am EST.

The winner is so good, that I instantly got this shiver, and my fingers started twitching. You ever read an opening or an idea so good, that you're just dying to write it yourself? Or, second best, you're just dying to read it?

I suppose, in that sense, I can understand the allure of fan fiction. I wouldn't mind indulging myself with writing a Ranger book. (My Ranger obsession has elevated to unhealthy levels, I swear.)

Pray God Evanovich never has Stephanie Plum choose Morelli. I'd weep. And I'd probably try my hand at fan fiction, for the first time.

On a few of the audiobooks, there's an interview with Evanovich. In it, she says Stephanie will never choose, unless, perhaps, Evanovich decides to end the series. And then she joked that she'd probably have to write two books: one where she chooses Morelli, and one where she chooses Ranger.

Wouldn't that just be the coolest? I'd buy them both. I bet those would sell like hotcakes.I bet it'd get a lot of press, too.

Speaking of which, I'm looking for a series that's as entertaining, funny, and as fun as the Plum series. Preferably available on audiobook. And one DH wouldn't mind listening to. (Which, unfortunately, pretty much rules out paranormal elements, sadly.)

Any suggestions?

15 bonus scribbles:

StarvingWriteNow 3/03/2008 11:58:00 AM  

Hmmm... I think one of my favorite audio series was "The Cat Who" series by Lillian Jackson Braun. George Guidall narrates and he does good voices--and the stories are pretty light, sometimes funny with a mystery to solve.

Other than that, try a listen to Richard Peck's "Long Way From Chicago" if you can get it. I laughed and laughed, loved it.

Pine 3/03/2008 01:53:00 PM  

I've never checked to see if they're available on audiobooks, but Charlaine Harris' "Sookie Stackhouse" series is one of my faves. They're fun, lighthearted reading, with elements of danger, mystery, sex, (and unfortunately paranormality too...the books are about vampires in Louisiana). Hope that helps!

Josephine Damian 3/03/2008 02:10:00 PM  

While I'm not a romance reader of any type, I too was impressed with the erotic winner because it was not the typically overtly sexual opening.

Janet is giving a luncheon interview here next month - you just reminded me of my need to sign up.

conley730 3/03/2008 03:13:00 PM  

I love Janet Evanovich. I'm reading Plum Lucky right now. I also like the Cat Who series and the alphabet series by Sue Grafton. The funniest is still Janet Evanovich though!

spyscribbler 3/03/2008 04:55:00 PM  

Writenow, I need to try that series. I bet DH might like it; he loves cats, too. I wrote down your suggestions. Thank you!

spyscribbler 3/03/2008 04:58:00 PM  

Thanks, Pine. You know, I'm going to give them a shot. Zoe keeps mentioning that series, and I"m going to add it to my list, too!

spyscribbler 3/03/2008 05:11:00 PM  

Josephine, LUCKY YOU! That sounds awesome! Is that through your local bookstore, or chapter, or what?

spyscribbler 3/03/2008 05:12:00 PM  

Conley, (is that what I should call you?) I am so addicted to Stephanie Plum right now. I haven't caught on to the Between-the-Numbers series, though.

I'm going to, though. I must have more Stephanie Plum NOW! I am having withdrawal pains!

conley730 3/03/2008 07:30:00 PM  

You can call me Con or Conley or Erin (that's my real life name)! This is the first between the numbers book I've read. I'm enjoying it so far. Grandma took off for Atlantic City, so you know it's going to be a riot! I didn't know there was a series of between the number books. Where have I been?!?

Anissa 3/03/2008 07:30:00 PM  

Ah...Ranger. The woman certainly knows how to write a bad boy. Yum. How awesome would it be if it ended with two books. Choose your own ending. Or one book with two options. You know, you flip it over for the other one. Ha!

Edie 3/03/2008 08:03:00 PM  

I'm with Pine. The Sookie series is terrific.

I just read Bookends picks, and they're all good. Then I got hung up on reading the single title entries. I didn't finish the. The first one was great!

spyscribbler 3/03/2008 08:28:00 PM  

LOL, Erin! I know. They are cute! I liked the Christmas one; I gave it to all my relatives one year, and quite a few become Evanovich fans. She's irresistible!

spyscribbler 3/03/2008 08:31:00 PM  

Anissa, she said it jokingly, but I think it's an AWESOME idea! I'd love that!

Okay, Edie, I'm going to definitely try them!

Angie 3/05/2008 08:56:00 PM  

Pray God Evanovich never has Stephanie Plum choose Morelli. I'd weep. And I'd probably try my hand at fan fiction, for the first time.

Commmmmme to the Dark Side! We have coooookies! Hehehe!

But yeah. [cough] I do periodically read the beginning of a story, or some bit in the middle, some cool gimmick or device or plot twist or whatever, and think "I want to write that!" And sometimes I do. Not copying the beginning word for word or anything :) but often I'll be reading along and see how a writer did something, and an idea will pop into my head about how cool or interesting it would be if that something had been handled differently. If some minor bit had been the major driver for the plotline, or if the character had chosen the other path, that sort of thing. I've gotten quite a few stories out of that kind of brainstorm.

And occasionally, I'll admit, I run into something that had a lot of potential but was so badly done, I think "OMG that sucked! I can do better than that!" and so I do. Or at least I try. It's a common reason for writers to get into writing, or it used to be. James Hogan is a good example; he moved on to contemporary thrillers and such, but his hard SF rocks, and he started writing because he read a lot of really bad SF in the seventies.

Hey, we take our inspiration where we can find it, right? :)

Angie

Cat Marsters/Kate Johnson 3/06/2008 10:00:00 AM  

You could try Gemma Halliday's High Heels Mysteries (I think she's sold the TV rights, but I don't know if anything's coming of it). No idea if there're any audiobooks though.

A slightly more hardboiled choice is Lauren Henderson's Sam Jones series. The books are set in England and America, and they're full of bad behaviour.

Or you could try my books. Just sayin'.