Sunday, March 02, 2008

Multiple POV and Movies

Here's a link to a 103 page e-book on how to write a great query letter. Noah Lukeman gives it out free. He's the author of The First Five Pages, which is one of the more brilliant books I've read on writing.

It strikes me as funny that it takes 103 pages to learn how to write 1 page.

(I believe it, though!)

Last night, I went to Vantage Point. It tells the story of a presidential shooting and a bombing from five different view points. I'm not big on multiple POVs in movies, so I went in skeptically. I got to the movie theater late, so I ended up stuck with Vantage Point because I missed Penelope. (How was Penelope, Edie?)

Sometimes, when we experiment with the form of a piece, the piece becomes more about making the experiment work, than about the story. In Vantage Point, I can definitely say that the story is made better by the format.

It has none of that, look-how-clever-I-am feel. And even though there are five viewpoints, what you really get are five twists, and each viewpoint does not tell the same story, but adds to the story and increases the suspense.

Great movie.

So how was your weekend? See any good movies? Read any good books?

8 bonus scribbles:

Edie 3/02/2008 08:57:00 PM  

Spy, I went to Liz's signing yesterday. Today I tried to do my taxes, but I'm missing a document and will have to call about it tomorrow. My husband tried to attach the plumbing in the kitchen after we got a new counter in, but he was having troubles too. He'll have to pick up some parts tomorrow. It was not a great day for either of us.

spyscribbler 3/02/2008 09:06:00 PM  

Taxes? Oh gosh! Please don't mention taxes! No, no, no! Oh, gosh. Yuck.

Working on taxes is a yearly torture.

My heart goes out to you, Edie!

Michele 3/02/2008 10:52:00 PM  

Vantage Point sounds like a great movie! I'm going to have to see that one now that you've recommended it so highly. I love stories with multiple POVs as long as they, as you mentioned, push the story and add suspense.

lainey bancroft 3/03/2008 08:26:00 AM  

Books, movies. No and no.

I'm still coughing and sniffling and battling a bit of D as well, Spy. Which made me muddled enough in the head that when DH asked me why I was tidying up the taxes at ten o'clock Saturday night I very snidely answered it was because I felt to crummy to focus on anything else.

Um, not exactly a dedicated to the business kinda response. Oops.

Edie 3/03/2008 09:12:00 AM  

Thanks, Spy. We expect money back, so my husband wants me to get going on it. Once I start it's not bad. But I need the form!

spyscribbler 3/03/2008 04:44:00 PM  

Michele, I had a blast. This was not done like any other action movie I've ever seen.

Oh, Lainey, the D is driving me crazy, too. I don't get it. I'm not usually like this, so I'm blaming the cough syrup.

Edie, expecting a refund would significantly raise my enjoyment of the process, LOL. :-)

Bernita 3/04/2008 04:55:00 PM  

My weekend?
I wrote.
I shovelled snow.

spyscribbler 3/04/2008 06:09:00 PM  

Bernita, your weather scares me. :-)