Saturday, March 01, 2008

The Other Boleyn Girl

It's been a rough week. I swear, cough medicine makes me depressed, and being depressed makes me lonely. And being lonely makes me absolutely desperate to do anything and everything I can to make sure DH and I are not parted for months on end again.

But I've been wrestling with that feeling for months now, and all I've come up with is the fact that I only can play piano and write. I have no choice but to stay the course and remain determined. I have about a month to work on my spy novel after I finish my current novella and before I have to start the next one, so I'll hope for the best.

Anyway, today I saw The Other Boleyn Girl! Last week, I saw the preview for the movie, and loved it so much that between then and today, I read all five of the Boleyn novels by Philippa Gregory.

The movie was faithful to the spirit of the book and mostly to the plot, but much of the motivations of each character was left out. Sadly, most of the spying, betrayals and intrigue was left out. (It breaks my heart.) George was never given an opportunity to show himself as the life of the court, as he was, nor was Anne given the opportunity to show how delightful she could be for the king.

Mary, however, was the truest. They tidied things up; she bore only a son in the movie, while in the book and in real life, she had a son and a daughter for King Henry.

They tidied up a few things for modern sensibilities, I suspect. First, the mother of Mary, George, and Anne never turned her back on her children in the movie; in the book, she was as cold and as plotting as her brother. Secondly, the incest never happened between George and Anne in the movie, but in the book, it did.

They switched the order of a few things, but in the end, it was a well-told story that made me just sob at the end.

And at the end of the day, no matter how much I stress out, I am completely in love with story. As I mentioned on Magical Musings earlier this week, I am deeply, deeply in love with story.

Have you seen it? I already want to see it again, it was that good. The acting was incredible.

13 bonus scribbles:

StarvingWriteNow 3/01/2008 07:03:00 AM  

Did George and Anne have that sort of relationship(in the book)? I know he was in her private rooms a lot and things like that, but were they ever caught, you know, naked and grappling? It's been a while since I read the book and I can't remember if that came out or not?

Susan Helene Gottfried 3/01/2008 08:59:00 AM  

I don't go to movies anymore. Date nights here are Penguin games or they don't happen. *sigh*

As for being lonely, we're so close, we ought to figure out a way to hook up one day for lunch.

Once the snow stops, that is. If it ever stops...

Edie 3/01/2008 09:34:00 AM  

We'll probably wait for it to come out in DVD. I rented Once last week. I enjoyed it, but it was a quiet enjoyment, not a Wow! was that a great movie.

If we went to a show, it would be Penelope. But today we're my husband and son are going to a car show. And I'm going to Liz's first booksigning!

Edie 3/01/2008 09:35:00 AM  

Sorry for the messed up comment. I'm doing two things at once, and doing neither of them very well.

spyscribbler 3/01/2008 02:11:00 PM  

Writenow, now that you mention it, I'm not sure if they intimated it or if they said it happened. I'm pretty sure it happened. Remember, she gave birth to a distorted, beastly, (devilish) stillborn child? And didn't Anne say she'd lain with George? And that "sin" had caused that birth.

I'm not real clear, though, with my memory of details, LOL.

spyscribbler 3/01/2008 02:12:00 PM  

Oh, Susan, we should! It'd probably be an hour drive for each of us, if we met halfway.

Please let the snow stop. It's sunshiney here, but I just put my car through the car wash. That means it might snow tonight.

spyscribbler 3/01/2008 02:14:00 PM  

A car show! Oh cool! You don't live in Ohio, do you? No, I don't remember that. We have a big car show this weekend, too.

I was thinking about Penelope. I'll probably go one night this week. And I'll see The Other Boleyn Girl again. I'm a crier at movies, that's for sure. But I don't normally SOB!

SO cool about Liz's booksigning! Give her a hug of congratulations for me!

Karen Olson 3/01/2008 03:22:00 PM  

The book and movie seem to have distorted so many of the facts. Fantastic bio of Anne Boleyn by Joanna Denny. Read it. Learn the truth. It's far more interesting than the fiction.

spyscribbler 3/02/2008 12:42:00 AM  

Thanks for the tip, Karen! I looked that up today. Fascinating stuff, I agree.

Even Denny admits we only have the barest skeletons of facts; the rest must be deduced through educated guesses. Gregory's interpretation of history is supported by arguable fact, too, except, of course, for the emotions and the private conversations that we will never know. That's why I like the fictionalization of it, because we can dig deep into that sort of stuff and make the history more alive.

I wouldn't lump the movie and the book into one; they're very different. Gregory was first a historian before she was a writer, and if you read it and research the history, you might find that her version of history is as arguable as anyone else's. In fact, I think Denny and Gregory only disagree on one or two small points.

Edie 3/02/2008 01:56:00 PM  

Liz and I live in southeastern Wisconsin. She'll probably write about her booksigning tomorrow. It was awesome!

Pine 3/03/2008 01:46:00 PM  

For Writenow: In her book, P.Gregory footnotes that there was no proof of incest except for the testimony of George's wife, who modern-day historians have noted may have been slightly off her rocker. ;)

Anonymous,  3/03/2008 05:40:00 PM  

Considering the complaints about how inaccurate Gregory's novel was, I can't see myself complaining about the changes in the movie.

spyscribbler 3/03/2008 08:26:00 PM  

Pine, you're right. Jane was definitely psycho-bitch from hell!

Anonymous, I read three different biographies, and I didn't find much different. Tiny little details, but that's it. The controversial things she chose, were supported, at one point, by one historian or another.

But I'm not that picky. Having known one historian, I've learned that history is more creative interpretation than facts, LOL.