Saturday, March 15, 2008

Pay It Forward

Hey, there's a really cool Pay It Forward contest over on Angie's blog. Deadline is today. I'm so sorry I'm late in posting it.

And, can I mention, Ally Carter is a genius? I read I'd Tell You I Love You But Then I'd Have To Kill You a few weeks ago, and yesterday I read Cross My Heart And Hope To Spy.

It's not just good YA. It's great storytelling. Great voice. Great everything. I mean, damn, it's really good.

Every page seems to have something delightful about this world she's created. I smile on almost every page, and even laughed out loud several times, in public, at Borders.

Yesterday's writing went really well.

But writing is a weird thing. One day ... no, one moment, I think I know something of how to write, and the next moment, I'm COMPLETELY CONVINCED I SUCK.

Yesterday was one of those self-doubt days.

I suppose, when my "real name" gets published, I won't be able to say things like YESTERDAY, MY WRITING COMPLETELY SUCKED.

It's hard to sell your own work if you're advertising your insecurities about it. Maybe. I don't know.

But for now, I am so grateful I have somewhere I can talk about writing freely. Pseudonym never talks about writing on her blog. One wouldn't want to spoil the magic by discussing how it's done.

One wouldn't want to ... taint one's characters with the suggestion that they are anything less than real. Or, god forbid, created by a mere being such as myself.

Pseudonym, as a rule, does not market to other writers. She does not talk about writing.

I've often wondered about those things.

Anyway, I'm so grateful for blogging, for you guys. It's nice to have someone to talk to about the writing stuff.

What are your thoughts about writers writing about writing? About blogging one's fears and insecurities?

And have you read Ally Carter's Gallagher Girl series? It's totally awesome. Not to be missed. Even if you don't read YA.

9 bonus scribbles:

spyscribbler 3/15/2008 10:08:00 AM  

I should add, I didn't mean to say that I think writers shouldn't blog about writing. I was just saying that pseudo never has, seemingly for those reasons.

I'm grateful that writers blog about writing. Definitely. I've learned so much! I'm just curious about how it works or is perceived by the majority of readers.

Heather Harper 3/15/2008 11:09:00 AM  

I've got the first book in my TBR pile, but who knows when I'll have a chance to read it. :o

Bernita 3/16/2008 06:02:00 AM  

I think I suck every day.
Makes it hard to keep going.

Josephine Damian 3/16/2008 10:18:00 AM  

Spy: You can bet the writers at the top of the heap have the very same doubts we all do. I think writing about the process makes us human to our reasers as well as fellow scribes.

I think saying publicly "When I first wrote it in a rough draft, it sucked, but then I fixed it and this is how I did it (or this is what I learned)" is ok.

I think saying "my newly published book is the worst thing I ever did" might be shooting yourself in the foot, career wise.

Me? I can write something one day, and think it's brilliant, and the next day I read it and say, Wow that really sucks. Same writing passage, just different outlook. Weird.

Have you read Annie Lamott's "Bird by Bird?" Some really frank writing advice there if you haven't.

I'm afraid I'm not a YA reader but kudos to Ally for making it big.

Edie 3/16/2008 01:37:00 PM  

Thanks for the reminder to read Ally Carter's books. I will!

I never think I completely suck as a writer. Partially, yes. In a way, our doubts make us write better, so it's a good thing. We don't get lazy. It keeps us noticing what other people do that works, and we try to be as good.

So I guess what I'm saying, Spy, is your self-doubt makes you a better writer. :)

spyscribbler 3/17/2008 12:23:00 PM  

Heather, if you read just a few pages, you'll find yourself sucked in. It's fantastic!

Bernita, I hear you. I definitely hear that! (But think you're crazy to think so. I wish I had your power with words!)

spyscribbler 3/17/2008 12:25:00 PM  

I think saying "my newly published book is the worst thing I ever did" might be shooting yourself in the foot, career wise.

LOL ... good to know. That's typically how I feel. I always love the world of my latest the best, and always feel like I've become worse, as a writer.

I have read Bird by Bird. Loved it!

spyscribbler 3/17/2008 12:26:00 PM  

Edie, I hope so! It's funny, the student who is, by leaps and bounds, the best pianist in my studio, has the lowest self-esteem. It's strange.

Angie 3/20/2008 07:12:00 AM  

Just wanted to say thanks for the contest plug. :) I'm way behind on blog reading but running to catch up....

Angie