Sunday, March 16, 2008

Persistence

This week, Seth Godin wrote, "Persistence isn't using the same tactics over and over. That's just annoying.  Persistence is having the same goal over and over."

To suit me, I'd revise it to say, "Persistence isn't using the same method over and over. That will just get you the same result. Persistence is having the same goal over and over."

I like that.

That's my problem. I keep switching my goals. Write a spy thriller. Pay the bills with a novella. Get "NY-published." Pay more bills with another novella.

Gas was $3.45 the other day, and the attendant told me it was going up to $5.00 by August. I nearly choked. Nearly threw up. Nearly cried. Felt socked in the stomach.

Are you kidding me? $5.00!!! Dear God. That's when it hit home that we are headed into a recession. And I'm a little nervous about it. During the little recession in 2001, (which never ended in Ohio, actually) ALL the piano stores in the greater Cleveland area closed up shop, except one.

Yikes.

I haven't had ONE call in the last six months from a piano student who ACTUALLY HAD A PIANO.

Yikes.

It's the first time in my life when economic chatter about recession has actually made me nervous, really nervous. Just the gas prices alone would force me to completely change my lifestyle, to stay home. All the time. I would never be able to go to the fireplace Borders on the other side of the city. Let's not get started on the price of food.

But I'm determined not to get sidetracked, or scare myself into staying into nice, comfortable pseudonym world. Starting on Friday, I am writing a novel as fast as I can until I need to start another novella in mid-April. Can't say I'm not nervous, 'cause I'm pretty used to writing what I write. I feel comfortable. It may not be easy, but I know I can do it.

I don't have that same confidence with a novel that targets NY. But that's okay.

Persistence is having the same goal over and over.

That's my mantra for the next month.

What about you?

11 bonus scribbles:

Heather Harper 3/16/2008 02:09:00 PM  

I agree that you should write what you love, but with the current economy, it is hard not to want to write what you think would be the most marketable and profitable.

I don't earn an income. But the reason I have been trying to prepare myself for a life of publication once the little one is in school next fall is because of the economy. And honestly, that probably isn't the smartest, reliable career choice for me to make. It's scary to think about.

lainey bancroft 3/16/2008 02:51:00 PM  

I'll run with the cool 'persistence' schtick and stick my head in the sand over the economy. :(

We've definitely felt it in the last year. Increased gas prices for vehicles x 4, plus customers who veer toward the 'cheapest fix' as opposed to putting out money for newer, more efficient equipment.

btw, Ms. Pseudonym, you're becoming an even bigger tease than Erica! LOL

Avery 3/16/2008 04:10:00 PM  

My goals will be the same, even if everything falls apart tomorrow. It just may take a different approach to reach them.

Erica Orloff 3/16/2008 08:40:00 PM  

Hey Spy:
I;ve got four kids and one heading off to college. BELIEVE me, I've had a couple of people contact me recently about editing their manuscripts, and I took 'em . . . I am terrifeid--even WITH my new deals. When people are paying that much for gas, kiss the book budget good-bye!!

Edie 3/16/2008 09:25:00 PM  

Persistence is a good motto, but right now I'm feeling overwhelmed. I need to organize my life.

The economy is scary. I want badly to say something political and snarky here, but I'm restraining myself.

Aimless Writer 3/17/2008 08:48:00 AM  

Gas 3.45??? Yikes! Its 2.75 here, but they don't call this the petro chemical state for nothing.
Persistence? I think its all we have sometimes. Remember Richard Simmons? He used to say "Never, never, never give up". I think of that a lot. When the rejections come in on something I think is great, when a critique group rips apart my work (okay, I ask them to do this but some secret part of me wishes they'd say it was perfect)
Persistence. A good mantra.

Karen Olson 3/17/2008 09:50:00 AM  

Just look at JPMorgan's buyout of Bear Stearns and you'll see where the economy is headed. Down. Fast. This is scary business and buying the company at $2 a share when it was trading at $30 on Friday illustrates the problem even more. If this were 1929, we'd already be crashed.

People will need escapist entertainment. Books, movies. That's our only hope.

spyscribbler 3/17/2008 12:57:00 PM  

This is true, Heather. And it is scary. They say the average fiction writer makes $6,000 a year.

LOL, Lainey. I think I'll do the same.

Avery, that's so smart. I'm going to remember that.

spyscribbler 3/17/2008 01:03:00 PM  

Oh, Erica. I am cutting corners like you wouldn't believe to live with just me and four cats, let alone when DH gets home.

A kid off to college and three more at home? I don't know you do it. I don't know how living got so much more expensive. Food alone is insane, unless you want to live on pasta.

spyscribbler 3/17/2008 01:06:00 PM  

Edie, I hear you. I went through a phase of needing reorganization in January.

I feel like saying something political and snarky, too. Mad King George is just about the worst thing that's every happened to us.

Aimless, what state is that? I want to move there. Not sure I could afford the drive, LOL ...

spyscribbler 3/17/2008 03:51:00 PM  

Karen, I believe that's true. I've gone to more movies this month, you wouldn't believe.

I think you're right. I hope it doesn't end up as bad as 1929. I'm worried, I really am. Keep on keepin' on, I guess!