Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Primary Election Neuroses

I almost forgot today was the Ohio Primary. See, I had in my mind March 8th, for who knows what reason, and today was only the 4th. But I was driving in my car and suddenly realized the 8th was not on a Tuesday, so ... I fled home and checked the date.

Unlike my "voting hell" experience in 2006, today was normal. I can't get used to this old-fangled voting procedure in my new (to me, kinda) precinct.

I was very careful, and I spent five minutes coloring in my circle to make sure there would be no question. And then, when I gave it to the machine, the lady did not comment on my choices.

Since I left, though, I'm suddenly terrified I might have filled in the wrong circle. I mean, I don't remember double-checking it. What if I just glanced at the names, and then was so focused on the circle that I didn't notice I'd filled in one circle above?

I'm pretty sure I double checked it. But what if I didn't?

And since I got home, I've been obsessively checking this page, even though I KNOW election results won't start coming in until after seven.

A whole lot of people are passionate about this race, it strikes me that they're more passionate than I've ever noticed, but it might just be that this time, the issues are more personal to me rather than ideological.

People say that the older you get, the more you realize that you're just choosing the least worst, and that life goes on and we make it through whatever, as a country.

But the older I get, the more I've worried. Today, I actually feel nervous in the pit of my stomach. Isn't that crazy?

7 bonus scribbles:

Travis Erwin 3/04/2008 04:22:00 PM  

It's primary day here in Texas as well.

spyscribbler 3/04/2008 04:48:00 PM  

This is true! I temporarily forgot you lived in Texas. They're saying the outcome in Texas is going to be a big turning point.

Edie 3/04/2008 11:08:00 PM  

It's after ten. I just looked at your link, and I'm happy with Ohio's voters. :)

Barrie 3/05/2008 01:56:00 AM  

I bet you colored in the right circle. It's weird, though, when you get in one of the double-checking loops. :)

Erica Orloff 3/05/2008 07:04:00 AM  

Hi Spy:
I would crawl from my deathbed to vote, it's so important to me. In other elections, I voted "least worst," but as long as my candidate stays in this one, I feel like I am voting "best," and THAT is compelling and exciting for a lot of people.

Bernita 3/05/2008 08:03:00 AM  

You've done your bit.
Your're not responsible for the rest.
It's those who don't vote that turn my crank.

conley730 3/05/2008 04:06:00 PM  

You said it, Bernita! I HATE it when people complain about the politicians and they didn't even vote. In my mind, that takes away their right to complain about it.