Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Stop. Breathe. Be.

Over at ZenHabits today, there's a post called 12 Essential Rules to Live More Like A Zen Monk.  He publishes his blog like it's self-help and/or pop psychology, which diminishes, slightly, the true value of what he says ... really, the bits he shares are simple and powerful.

I keep forgetting my New Year's Resolutions: To do one thing at a time, to think of one thing at a time, to focus quietly. To just breathe and be.

When I sit down to write, I manage this flow. 'Course, it can also take me up to an hour to actually sit down, LOL. When I think about writing, the business? Writing, my career? Writing, what next? Not so much.

The hardest person to hear, for me, is myself. I can worry loudly enough, but I have trouble sitting down, being quiet, and listening to myself.

But there's also a line. I worry about the election. I get pissed off about China and Africa, China and China, China and the world, China and Tibet (which doesn't even make CNN's front page??? Hello???).  I stress about the economy and gas prices. I say I'm absent-minded because I live in my story-world for most of the day, but I also worry about my students for at least an hour or two a day, sometimes all night when I'm trying to sleep.

The worry is too much. There's some sort of line. I can't make the whole world better, and I'm not convinced my worrying is productive, anyway (well, the worry about the students does help). I can only do my part. I wish I had volunteered some time for my candidate, like my best friend did. I wish I had more money to give to various causes and issues. I wish I had the time to start up this fantastic program in my community. I haven't ruled it out completely, but ...

On the other hand, if I work harder now, then I will have more time and money to share, later. But what if later never comes?

All of life is a balance, I guess. I just have to stop, listen, and breathe. Hear what is my next most important step, right now.

Are you a worrier? How are your New Year's Resolutions?

5 bonus scribbles:

Anonymous,  3/19/2008 02:54:00 PM  

good blog,

i like you blog that a great collection you have on it. but what i feel is your blog deals with frictional part of spyworld.

spyscribbler 3/19/2008 03:20:00 PM  

Thanks, anon! I'm afraid, at this point, my blog neither deals with the fictional nor the frictional part of the spy world. :-) Mostly just writing and my life.

Thanks for stopping by!

Melanie Avila 3/19/2008 06:33:00 PM  

I worry a lot. Most of my concerns are self-centered lately, but I figure I'll be back to worrying about the state of the world if we get to return to the US. I AM very concerned about the election, but I'm hopeful.

One weird thing: gas down here is run by the government so the only gas stations are Pemex. Since there isn't competition they don't list the prices and they all charge the same thing. I really don't worry about it since I don't SEE it every day.

I like your resolution. Focusing on one thing at a time makes things much more bearable, even for those of us who's minds go bonkers at bedtime. :)

Edie 3/19/2008 11:43:00 PM  

Spy, I worry but I think you worry more than I do. Lately all I've thinking about is everything I have to do. I have to get organized.

spyscribbler 3/20/2008 02:00:00 PM  

Melanie, I do, too. Sometimes I think my brain gets hooked into worry drive, and it's mostly unproductive. I'm hopeful about the election, too. As long as it's not McCain, I'm thrilled. I do have a preference, but I can live with hope for either one.

Edie, in January, I spent most of the month organizing. For about six weeks. Have you been to Zen Habits? If you click around, there's lots of great ideas on simplifying and organizing. Same with Fly Lady.