Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Telemarketing Scripts

So I've been on the phone all day, about one thing or another. It's so draining. I don't even like the phone. And now I've got it rigged so my phone calls go to my email address, thanks to Google and Grand Central.

Of course, they'll also forward to my cell phone, when I'm not sleeping or teaching and stuff.

Isn't that coolest?

And the telemarketers and politicians don't have my new number. Way cool.

So I had to cancel my landline, Earthlink (broke my heart), and DirecTV. (I have a generic DVR now, which is nowhere as cool as a TiVo! But it's good enough.)

Have you ever noticed that they talk forever? It got to the point by the third call, where I would just say over and over, "Okay, I don't want to spend any more money. I am canceling my account."

And they'd read script after script after script for EVER.

I've also been answering my phone for the last week, to see if anyone ever calls me. (No, no one important. The people I love have my cell number.)  I tell them, "You have ten seconds to tell me what you want."

They can't do it. They have to read a script for five minutes, and you STILL don't know what they want! Actually, you don't even know WHO they are!

Grrr.

I made the switch to Time Warner, after all. They kept calling me. So I finally called them, and someone NICE answered! Can you believe that?

She caught me just after I balanced my budget, so it was an easy sell.

And three technicians came out (not an interesting enough story to explain why), and they were REALLY NICE.

A TiVo is much better than a DVR. I'll live. I miss it, though.

So anyway, um ... writing, right. Um ... yeah.

How's your writing going? Hey, you know, I actually don't know what half of you are currently working on. What are you working on? Spill! (Okay, spill as much or as little as you want. I don't like to talk about my WIPs until they're on paper, for some reason.)

15 bonus scribbles:

Michele 3/05/2008 11:04:00 PM  

Oh, I would loooove it if I never, ever had to answer the phone again! Family and friends, sure...no problem. But I'm just not a phone person.

That new system you've got going sounds really cool. I've never heard of phone calls being forward to e-mail. Am I behind the times?

Edie 3/06/2008 12:37:00 AM  

I've never heard of phone calls forwarded to email either, but I couldn't do it.

I finished my last read-through of my book. Yay! It's a woman's fiction. Tomorrow I'll go through it and type in my pages. I hope I finish tomorrow.

Barrie 3/06/2008 12:46:00 AM  

I'm working on another middle grade mystery. I had a very detailed outline with I call The Outline. Took a little bit of a detour from it. Which was fun. :)

The whole phone thing can get so annoying. Sounds as though you've got it under control now. :)

Zoe Winters 3/06/2008 02:51:00 AM  

I'm trying to get the novella totally finished so I can submit it to a contest at the end of this month. I've been procrastinating and self-sabotaging (see the blog) and I can't seem to get going on it. I'm going to have to make myself do it.

It's times like this, when it's so damn hard to just make myself write that I wonder if I'm a "real writer?" Because surely a REAL writer would WANT to do it. Right?

Edie 3/06/2008 09:21:00 AM  

Zoe, real writers procastinate too. :)

Angie 3/06/2008 11:31:00 AM  

I hardly ever answer the phone anymore anyway. Most people know to e-mail me, and we have an answering machine for everyone else. I also have no problem being rude to telemarketers, and any telemarketer who has a problem with that is free to not ever call me. :P

Right now I'm working on a piece of fan fiction, actually. Yeah, I still write that stuff. :) Fandom has this incredibly cool organization called Sweet Charity, which auctions off fans (this was my first time being a Charity Ho) who agree to provide goods or services. I offered to write a story for someone, with negotiations open for characters and general scenario, etc. Sweet Charity does two regular auctions per year, but this one was a special auction to benefit the Writers Guild Foundation, which provides financial assistance to people who were undergoing financial hardship because of the writer's strike, but who were not receiving assistance because they're not Writers Guild members -- you know, people who do lighting and set dressing and makeup and that sort of thing. We raised over $20K and it was very cool. :D Anyway, that's the story I'm working on right now. :)

Angie

Liz Wolfe 3/06/2008 11:41:00 AM  

A short story which has to be finished by the end of the month. A paranormal thriller which I'd like to finish by May. A bunch of copywriting which sadly must be done before either of those.

spyscribbler 3/07/2008 11:28:00 PM  

Michele, me too! Well, except for my friends and family, like you said. I just don't like people barging in on my home to sell me something I don't want. I didn't ask them to call. They are not invited!

Edie, it's pretty cool. It can be forwarded to my cell phone, and any other number I want. So if I change cell phone carriers or move, I never have to change my "Grand Central" phone number.

Good luck on finishing the last bit, Edie!

Barrie, that's really cool. I didn't know you were writing a middle grade mystery. I thought I'd opted out of telemarketers, but they seem to be calling again. :-(

spyscribbler 3/07/2008 11:29:00 PM  

Awww, Zoe, don't be so hard on yourself. There are always things we don't want to do in any job. And, sometimes, it's hard to go to the spot we need to be at to write. It's hard work. It reminds me of acting, in that way.

spyscribbler 3/07/2008 11:31:00 PM  

That's right, Bernita, I remember! Cool. :-) Lillie St. Claire, right? (I probably spelled her name wrong. Sorry!)

Angie, I understand. I try not to be rude, just clear. They only get ten seconds of my time, because, frankly, if I didn't feel I needed to buy anything while doing whatever I was doing, it's unlikely I would want to spend the money just because someone interrupted me.

I'm going to have to look up Sweet Charity. Very, very cool!

spyscribbler 3/07/2008 11:32:00 PM  

Liz, you're back! Yay! Very cool.

And Writenow, when are you having a housewarming party? Am I invited? :-)

Pine 3/08/2008 10:59:00 AM  

Ah, yes, the place where you get sent whenever you try to cancel a service (cell phone, cable, long distance, credit cards, etc), the people there are so friendly and chatty, aren't they? My hubby and I call that the "Best Friend Department" haha.