Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Wrestling with Spy Thrillers

So I'm kinda incognito this week. I'm determined to get the Spy Thriller Database I'm creating up and running. Using a content management system is a learning experience, one with a steep learning curve. Every little thing I want to do requires almost an hour of research. I hope this process speeds up, pretty soon.

In the meantime, here's some cool things to keep you occupied:

  1. Mark Terry has a brilliant ten-part series on freelance writing. They're not exactly indexed on his site, so let me make it easy for you to visit: Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10.
  2. Jeremy James shared a presentation he gave to a writer's group on "Web Strategies for Writers." (At the bottom of each post, you can click the link to the next one.)
  3. David Montgomery, over at his Crime Fiction Dossier has two fantastic discussions going on about promotion in the comments section, including the likes of Lee Child and M.J. Rose:
  4. And you might want to check out his newest post, Advice for Unpublished Writers, too.
  5. The Great American Book Giveaway: You can enter to win free books every week. They don't abuse your email, and I don't find it intrusive. If you tried them before, when they did a weird experiment with gather and trying to click through was confusing, don't worry: they've gone back to simple, so you can safely try again. I enjoy seeing the covers of five new books every week. This week, I discovered Ren Gen: The rise of the cultural consumer, which "argues that we are on the precipice of a major cultural renaissance." Amen to that. I must check out that book!

So what are you guys up to, this week?

(Only about 8-10 more days before DH gets home!!!!)

12 bonus scribbles:

Melanie Avila 3/26/2008 12:03:00 AM  

Good luck with the project. :)

I've discovered my freelance client is a big pain in the tukus and unable to write in coherent sentences. Joy. Other than that - it's spring break here so everyone's in beach mode.

Edie 3/26/2008 12:40:00 AM  

I'll check out the links. Your new project sounds challenging. Not for the technically challenged, like me.

I've been working on my writing and my paying gig. But I'm taking off tomorrow to take my grandson to Horton Hears a Who. I heard it's really good.

spyscribbler 3/26/2008 07:47:00 AM  

Thanks, Melanie! It's one of the hardest things I've done. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, though!

Spring Break? I am SO jealous! We're having spring break, too. But it's not spring weather, here.

I didn't know you freelanced. I love the word, "tukus."

spyscribbler 3/26/2008 07:49:00 AM  

Edie, it is really challenging. It certainly makes me feel stupid and inadequate. Half the time, I can't figure out solutions because I don't even know what words to use, to search for. "This doesn't work" doesn't produce helpful search results, LOL.

Let me know if Horton Hears a Who is worth seeing as an adult, alone. I think I've watched almost every movie in the theater! I hope you have fun with your grandson!

Christa M. Miller 3/26/2008 11:16:00 AM  

Ooh, thanks for the links! I've been meaning to print Mark's advice, since I'm thinking of going full-time. Was just trying to find the time. Now I don't have to! :)

This week I'm trying to continue my novella that I "committed" to 6 weeks ago (only to fall off the wagon with flu and bored kids) and also trying not to kill said bored kids. We still have a foot of snow on the ground, so there's really nothing to do with them....

Good luck with your project!

Travis Erwin 3/26/2008 11:46:00 AM  

Just trying to find time to write as usual. I'm getting real itchy to finish my WIP and I have to remind myself to slow down and do it right.

StarvingWriteNow 3/26/2008 02:59:00 PM  

I'm just settling. Unpacking a little here, sifting and sorting. Joy and rapture, fo' shizzle!

But on the upside, I read through two "chapters" I wrote a while back and surprised myself by thinking, hey! Not bad!

There might be some ink in the old fountain pen, yet!

Edie 3/26/2008 07:56:00 PM  

My grandson enjoyed Horton and everyone else seemed to. It was slow for me. The little Seuss story really was drawn out.

We had fun otherwise. I showed him YouTube videos and he wants to make one of his cat. We were writing lyrics for a song to go with the video when his dad picked him up.

spyscribbler 3/26/2008 11:27:00 PM  

That's amazing, Christa! I wish I had just an ounce of freelance writing talent. Just an ounce.

A foot of snow? *shudder* That's awful. Good luck on your novella!

spyscribbler 3/26/2008 11:28:00 PM  

Travis, sometimes I feel like I never finish anything. (Even though I finish everything.) And I feel like I'm never going to get to the end. (Even though I always do.

It never gets better, either.

spyscribbler 3/26/2008 11:29:00 PM  

Writenow, isn't that strange? I re-read some stuff for years ago, and I was literally shocked. I told the screen that I didn't know how to write back then. There were some stuff I'd change, but much better than I thought it would be.

So cool about your new place! Good luck with the unpacking. Sometimes it takes me a year.

spyscribbler 3/26/2008 11:30:00 PM  

Edie, how cute! That's so sweet. :-) He gets his creativity from yuo!

I think I will skip Horton, then. :-)