Friday, April 25, 2008

Deep Thought, After Bedtime Questions

I have a question. So those energy saving light bulbs. We finally found some that put out actual light. (We kept buying these ones that put out this crazy blue light and it may as well have been pitch black for all I could see.)

My question: do they really save anything on your electric bill? Did you see a marked difference right away?

And I still don't understand how the mercury in them isn't hurting our environment ...

We had a huge garden growing up. Three or four rows of tomatoes, corn, beans, pumpkins, cantaloupe.  There was a level down with a good-sized patch that was mine, about twelve rows, from about 4 - 9 years old. (Then my dad died, so there was no more gardening.) Anyway, I was pretty good at it then.

But I don't remember much. Is there a vegetable gardening for idiots guide?

Remember that show? Victory Garden or something, with that nice guy? I watched that twice a day with my Dad, LOL.

The tomatoes will make great salsa and tomato sauce presents come Christmas. Bummer that I gave away my canning jars a few years back.

Everything I think about, lately, has to do with investing in our future, saving money, saving the environment.

We pretty much cleared out any semblance of savings when my foot got hurt. (And they didn't even fix it! Don't get me started.)

But I thought today: even though I don't have much of a savings making interest, I have stories making interest. My stories are an investment, you know?

It's not like a job where you put in the time and then it's done. You get paid and that's all you get. With writing, it keeps growing.

That's one really cool thing about writing. When you write, you don't just put in the time, get paid, and it's done. No, even after you get done, it's like a bank: your writing keeps making money for you.

Plant a seed, and it feeds you all year.

Society is changing, I think. As much as I hate this economic crunch, it's forcing people to make changes, to grow gardens, to drive less.

Have you been to The Story of Stuff? It helped make me feel good about my changing values. I don't want any stuff; I keep getting rid of it. I refuse to buy anything that's not some sort of investment. I'm trying not to buy books; instead, I'm trying to save up for a Kindle, and then I'll just read ebooks.

Bush is trying to return us to a spending society this summer, but I'm not sure that's going to happen. The complexities of economics is something I haven't studied much. I know consumerism helps the world go around, but ... our priorities are different now.

The only kind of things I want to buy right now are seeds. A laptop to write stories to invest in royalties. Information to invest in my future. Seeds to invest in a harvest of food to feed my little family.

Are your values and wants changing? Do you notice more of those around you changing?

Anyone out there know more about economics than I? What do you think of Bush's stimulus plan?

What would happen if we, as a society, strayed from consumerism? Would our economic system collapse? What do you think of Time Banking, and building communities based on sharing that most precious commodity?

Where will we be in fifty years? A hundred?

8 bonus scribbles:

Erica Orloff 4/25/2008 07:32:00 AM  

Hi Spy:
We sound like we are on identical journeys.

As for where I will be 50 years from now. Dead. But I fear the world this president has created with this ill-guided war . . . will be something my children will be suffering through even then.

E

Bernita 4/25/2008 07:56:00 AM  

Never was much for conspicuous consumption.
In 50 years I'll be dead.

Susan Helene Gottfried 4/25/2008 08:42:00 AM  

As for the bulbs: there are now recycling places for them springing up. Check Earth911.org (I think that's it) for a place near you.

And having seen both the Kindle and the Sony eReader, I'd go for the Sony, myself. It's way nicer and it's not associated with Amazon. Not to mention lacking all those upcharges to put your own material on it.

lainey bancroft 4/25/2008 09:32:00 AM  

I'm not keen on the energy saver bulbs either and although we've used them for quite a while now, I can't really save if they've saved us money. I'll check with Gas, he likes to calculate energy usage of everything down to the last penny (sometimes its funny, sometimes just damned annoying)

In fifty years I will be a sexy 90 year old doing yoga on a beach somewhere.

Or dead.

Edie 4/25/2008 10:14:00 AM  

Spy, I could write pages on all the topics you raise. Anything Bush does you may as well stamp DISASTER on, IMO. He's the worst president we've had.

In 50 years I'll be dead too. I hopped over to the Time Banking page. I like that. And it kind of reminds me of the writing world. You do something for someone, and they do it back for you. Really, it's karma. (Okay, I didn't read the whole article. lol I have work to do today!)

I'm cutting down on everything too. I go two weeks without having to fill up my gas tank. I'm buying a lot less now than I used to.

Barrie 4/25/2008 01:44:00 PM  

I haven't noticed much difference in the utility with the light bulbs. Maybe I don't have enough of them? Idiot-proof gardening? Try an earth box. I get the best tomatoes!!

spyscribbler 4/26/2008 10:02:00 PM  

Erica, I worry about such things, too. I especially worry about the environment. About the war ... I really hope not.

LOL, Bernita. I mean, humanity, not so much us, individually.

Thanks, Susan! I'll have to check that out when my bulb goes out!

Kindle vs. Sony is a tough decision. I like the looks of the Sony better, that's for sure. It's a toughie, though. My last two Sony computers were repair nightmares, just a hair each away from being a lemon.

spyscribbler 4/26/2008 10:05:00 PM  

Oh, yes, Lainey! I want to be a sexy 90 year old on a beach someday!

Edie, awhile back I just stopped looking. I couldn't take it anymore. Disaster is the perfect word!

I've cut way back on driving, too. Or I'm trying. Sheesh. It cost $68 last time! Yikes!

Barrie, I'm going to go look up an Earth Box!