Monday, April 28, 2008

Full Feed or Partial Feed or No Feed ...

Okay. Here's the deal.

*start rant*

If you have no feed, I'm going to have no reminder when you update your site. I'm going to have no little niggle in my feed reader to remind me to go to your site. I am likely going to forget about your site altogether and never come back again. Sad, but true.

So God Bless those who have feeds.

But what are people who have only partial feeds thinking?

I understand the splogging concerns. I think a whole .00005% of partial feed users I know are in danger of being splogged.

Which leaves me to imagine: why only have partial feeds?

Reason 1: So I will come and look at your pretty design.

Sorry, but I already saw your design and either liked it or didn't. Either way, I'm not going to read your content unless I, um, like your content. Pretty is as pretty does. And frankly, after I've seen the site once or twice, I stop rolling over the mouseovers obsessively and I stop oohing and ah-ing over the design. It becomes invisible, and I ... read your content. I don't need to visit for that.

Reason 2: So I will come and comment.

Here's the thing: I have to read your post to become inspired to comment. And here's the other thing: you can have your whole post to persuade me to come visit, or you can have your headline and first five lines.

Are you really making your headlines and your first paragraph whizz-bang enough to make me want to click through to read the rest of your post?

And if you want comments, you're probably asking a question at the end.

You know, the end I'm not reading because you only gave me a partial feed.

Why make it harder on yourself?

Reason 3: So I will come and click on your ads.

Fair enough. You better make that headline and first paragraph REALLY enticing.

*end rant*

Bottom line: Do you want five lines to convince me to come visit, or do you want your whole post to do the job?

Fact is, I read every post in my reader. A few from the group blogs, I might skim. I click over to comment in about 4 - 15 a day.  In the past month, I have clicked over to partial feeds ... zero times. Okay, maybe once.

Google Reader does not let me read partial feeds on my palm, darnit.

Are you a feed reader? And if so, do you click over to partial feeds? If you don't read feeds, how do you know when people update their site? Or do you just visit every day, regardless? If you have a partial feed on your site (Sorry, I love you anyway, you know that!), why a partial feed and not a full feed?

21 bonus scribbles:

Edie 4/29/2008 12:25:00 AM  

Spy, I'm so technically challenged, my feeds usually happen in my kitchen. I haven't updated my blog in 3 years, so I hope I'm not one of the people you're talking about. If I am, email me and let me know, please.

spyscribbler 4/29/2008 12:32:00 AM  

LOL, Edie. Of course I'm not talking about you!

Honestly, I just don't bother with partial feeds at all. Except you and Lainey. You guys are an automatic read for me, so you guys's partial feeds don't even register on my rant-meter. Seriously. Could care less if you guys ever upgrade to a full feed or not. :-)

I'm gonna come over and bug you with my comments either way.

Other than you two ... I really just don't read partial feeds. So I wasn't worried about offending anyone when I wrote this post, but I forgot about you two.

You guys don't count, though. I'll eat your posts any way you feed them to me. :-)

Stephen Parrish 4/29/2008 01:56:00 AM  

Hi Spy, I agree, partial feeds are annoying, almost as annoying as word verification.

Oops.

StarvingWriteNow 4/29/2008 07:27:00 AM  

Someday, when the sky is full of technicolor butterflies and flowers float in the air and pigs have wings, I might figure out how to put a feed on Starving.

Until then, my eeeevilll plan is to make you come and check me EVERY DAY WHETHER YOU LIKE IT OR NOT. MOOOO--HA-HA-HAAAAA!!!!!

Susan Helene Gottfried 4/29/2008 07:52:00 AM  

You're a better person than me, Spy. If the feed's not on, I won't chase someone around. I just don't have time.

As for partial feeds... those are the LAST feeds I'll read. So if I've got a thousand feeds waiting for me (not uncommon; I usually go through around 400 read a day), you are going to be the LAST. Know what the chances are of me actually reading you? Not real good. I'm more likely to scroll past three versions of news about some band I've never heard of. (which is why those feed numbers are so high; long story there)

lainey bancroft 4/29/2008 08:35:00 AM  

Can I sign up for feed-what-the-hell-is-that 101 with Edie???

This is one of the things I'm working on this year...to get out of the techno-kindergarten level I've been trapped in!

Mark Terry 4/29/2008 08:47:00 AM  

If only I knew what the hell you were talking about...

spyscribbler 4/29/2008 09:32:00 AM  

LOL, Stephen! Okay, I turned it off, just for you ...

spyscribbler 4/29/2008 09:34:00 AM  

LOL, WriteNow. You've got a full feed that I read every time you post.

:-)

LOL, Lainey. Okay, maybe I'll do a post on it today!

Susan, so true! I don't chase them either. I've deleted almost all from my reader. I just don't have time, you know?

Mark, God bless you, no worries. You've got a full feed going.

Edie 4/29/2008 09:52:00 AM  

Big SMOOCH, Spy. I'll be interested in the Feed 101 post too.

conley730 4/29/2008 11:22:00 AM  

*waiting for feed 101 post*

I don't know if I have a feed either. I just go to the blogs I want to read and read them LOL! I obviously don't have thousands I read, so I just have them set up on my favorites.

Yaaaaaaaay....no word verification!!!

Susan Helene Gottfried 4/29/2008 11:25:00 AM  

Hey, should we tell the folk with the Blogger accounts that their feeds are on by default?

spyscribbler 4/29/2008 12:05:00 PM  

You have a full feed, too, Conley! Okay. I'm going to do a post today on it.

conley730 4/29/2008 12:26:00 PM  

I went and checked my settings and realized I have a full feed. I just didn't know if it was on by default or if I had to do something special to turn it on!

Stephen Parrish 4/29/2008 12:27:00 PM  

I don't really have anything to say, I'm just enjoying the novelty of commenting on your blog without having to type in the word verification.

Ahhhhhhhhhhh.

Christina 4/29/2008 01:25:00 PM  

I don't know what a feed is? How do we know if we have it?

spyscribbler 4/29/2008 02:22:00 PM  

Good idea, Susan! Maybe you can help. I tried to write a Feed 101 post, but I'm not sure if I made it too complicated.

spyscribbler 4/29/2008 02:23:00 PM  

Conley, easy, huh? So cool. :-)

Christina, you have a full feed, too.

If you guys start reading by feeds, you'll never look back. It's TONS more convenient!

Melanie Avila 4/29/2008 05:47:00 PM  

Feeds, eh? I read your post and panicked that I'm one of the annoying people but someone said Blogger defaults to full feeds. Will you tell me if that's not true in my case?

I've never used feeds either but now I may have to check it out!

spyscribbler 4/29/2008 05:51:00 PM  

Melanie, you're a full feed person, too! :-)