Thursday, April 03, 2008

I Heart Southwest Airlines

So, may I tell you how much I appreciate Southwest Airlines?

I have a voice. A high-pitched voice. And when I call and a computer asks me to talk, it NEVER understands me. I try to enunciate, I try to talk louder, I try to talk lower. But no matter what, it never understands me.

Every call deteriorates into: "I'm sorry," says the clipped computer voice, "I did not get that. Please state your ..."

And me frantically talking louder and louder, trying to get it to understand, while it continually apologizes.

Invariably our conversation deteriorates into me yelling into the phone, "Operator! Human! Human Being! Operator! I want to talk to a fucking Human Being!"

And, of course, I pound on the "0" key, but this rarely transfers one to an operator anymore. Over it all, I keep hearing, "I'm sorry. I did not get that. Please state your reason for calling."

They still won't transfer me, not until I enter the wrong account number about ten times.  Nothing can make my stress level from zero to a million in a second like getting a computer on the phone.

SO .... imagine how happy I was when I called Southwest Airlines, and I only had to say "Operator" once at their first question, and they immediately transferred me to a human being.

And then, can you believe it? Southwest Airlines does not, as a policy, charge to change your plane ticket. If the flight you're changing to is more expensive, then you have to pay the difference, but you don't have to pay a charge.

And say you're late for a flight, and you just don't show up?

You don't lose the money you spent. Not even if you call them months later.

Oh, and I have to add, the customer service people (I've talked to three already), are all nice. They act like they want to talk to you. It's wonderful.

So I just want to say, I Heart Southwest Airlines.

6 bonus scribbles:

Leigh Russell 4/03/2008 03:09:00 PM  

I really hate "communicating" with a computer. I just don't speak their language. Where did all the people go?

Zoe Winters 4/03/2008 03:12:00 PM  

hehe Southwest is so tiny. The first time (and only time so far) I flew, it was with Southwest. I'd just seen planes on TV really so I expected it not to be so claustrophobic. I definitely had to have an aisle seat.

StarvingWriteNow 4/03/2008 04:56:00 PM  

Is this for you, or is DH coming home sooner?

I agree, I like Southwest. The last time I flew them it was some anniversary and they were handing out free cookies at the terminal. It was awesome (and the cookies were pretty good too).

spyscribbler 4/03/2008 06:10:00 PM  

Leigh, ohmigosh, I hear you! I hate, hate, hate, hate it!

Zoe, you're right, I forgot about that. But then, all airlines are tiny, now, inside.

Writenow, this is for DH. He's coming home this weekend. Sunday, to be exact.

Free cookies? Yum!

Edie 4/03/2008 09:01:00 PM  

First the important thing -- SQUEEEEE! That's for your husband coming back this Sunday.

The second thing is hit the # key, not the 0 key, and keep hitting it until they trasfer you to a person, which they will eventually.

spyscribbler 4/03/2008 09:11:00 PM  

Edie, you're kidding! Wow! See, it used to be the 0 key. Now it's the # key?

I can't tell you how thrilled I am to know that. That's awesome! Thank you!