Thursday, April 03, 2008

Interesting Question

I was reading through Seth Godin's archives, and came across a question he asked (but didn't answer):

"How come books get blurbed and promoted
by other authors, but movies don't get blurbed
and promoted by other directors and actors?"

I don't know the answer to that, but it's an interesting question. I like that we do. I get a rush every time I hand-sell a book, a real high.

Whereas, when I'm in Borders, I'm more likely to keep the fact secret that I've got a little essay in a book, but I am all over people who pick up a book by someone who's blog I read, or is in my chapter. 

Like, the other day, I introduced someone to The Ghost Dusters series by Wendy Roberts. (Awesome book! I can't wait until the next one comes out! The only reason I haven't raved to you guys, yet, is because I'm saving it up for a whole post. It's worthy of a whole post.)

Similarly, I check my stats. I get excited when people click through to one of you guys's books. And even more thrilled when they buy it on Amazon. (I do get a referral fee, but it's so low, I'm not worth paying. I think I have a whole eighty cents earned, so far.)

I just love selling other people's books so much, I've actually considered working in a bookstore. In fact, I consider it every summer, but my teaching schedule is crazy, and I still need time to write.

And I love writing in bookstores, so I'm afraid working in one would put a crimp in my style, LOL.

Do you think Borders would take volunteers?

Anyway, I don't know the answer to Seth's question. Do you?

6 bonus scribbles:

Susan Helene Gottfried 4/03/2008 06:15:00 PM  

There are fewer movies and they get bigger promo budgets.

Ergo, we have to use each other and ourselves to build word of mouth.

spyscribbler 4/03/2008 06:32:00 PM  

You're exactly right about your last sentence.

I'm not sure about the fewer movies. I think fewer movies make it to the big screen, but there are a whole lot of movies we never hear about. The "midlist" movies are virtually unknown to the general public.

I wonder if they buzzed each other, if we'd hear about those movies.

Edie 4/03/2008 09:12:00 PM  

Spy, I just followed your link and read the excerpt of The Remains of the Dead. You bet I want to read her books now. Thanks!

I don't know if dirctors and actors don't promote other movies. I'm not active in their community.

conley730 4/03/2008 09:44:00 PM  

Wendy's book is on my to be read list too! It looks really good.

Karen Olson 4/04/2008 10:46:00 AM  

Movies get review quotes, which they pepper their advertisements with. I think that's the equivalent to an author blurb.

Wendy Roberts 4/04/2008 12:46:00 PM  

Thanks for mention (and hand selling!) Remains :) :)