Friday, April 04, 2008

Music, the Distraction.

So Borders is having a guitarist, and she's playing really cool music.  I can barely read or write.  That's both a compliment to her and a selfish complaint.

Right now, she's playing the Godfather theme.  This cracks me up, because my stepbrother always watches the Godfather while rolling meatballs. (In my Italian step family, the women cook, but the men roll the meatballs.)

When I did gigs, it was the song that I always played about two hours in, when I was sipping on my third drink. (I cannot do that sort of playing without drinks. I'm not a lush, I swear.)  Boy, I just loved hamming that one up. 

It's the only "gig song" I'll play when not doing a gig.  So when I get home from a night of drinking at 2 am, I'll sit down and play the Godfather theme, over and over ad nauseum until I fall asleep on the piano bench.

Now she's playing some movie music from Chocolat.  Now that just makes me drool over Johnny Depp.

I mean, really, come on. Johnny Depp. You can't actually expect me to focus on writing on a Friday night when I'm hearing Johnny Depp and drinking songs?

Tonight, I have this burning wish that you were all local, and I could call you guys up and we could all spontaneously go to a bar and have a big old party.  We could laugh, complain, cry, shoot the shit.

No wonder writers hang out in the bar at conferences.

Okay. Back to writing. I swear. I'm writing now, right now. Only 2,000 words and this novella that won't end will be finished!

I've mentioned before that I have a tough time listening to music and writing. It's one or the other. But I can listen to music and drink. :-)  I can listen to music and spend time with friends.

So if you were local, would you come? To a big old drinking bash? Spend an evening just having a party?  Oh, gawwwd, I want to go out. Whatever happened to all the friends I could just call up and say, "Let's have a party tonight!"?

Oh, right. We grew up. And, gosh, having more than two drinks costs days and days of my body going, "What the ****? Do you think you're twenty or something?"

Blah. Back to work.

8 bonus scribbles:

R.J. Keller 4/04/2008 07:48:00 PM  

I would absolutely come. Especially with Johnny Depp-ish music playing.

Susan Helene Gottfried 4/04/2008 09:16:00 PM  

Not only would I come, I'm sort of local. I think we're only about an hour apart.

conley730 4/04/2008 09:16:00 PM  

I would be there in a heartbeat!!! The kids are with their dad this weekend so I'm having a bachelorette weekend.

mom2brie 4/04/2008 09:34:00 PM  

I'd come too! I've never heard you play the theme to "The Godfather" ... interesting :)

Would you play and we could all sing!?! (Only for a little bit though, so you could just relax and enjoy the rest of the!)

Are you getting a nice bottle of Champagne or wine for when DH comes home????

Edie 4/05/2008 01:20:00 AM  

I'd come! I usually have one drink, maybe two. Even two is pushing it for me.

Michele 4/05/2008 10:43:00 AM  

Oh, I'd totally be there! Although, I have to confess I can't drink much (stupid migraines), but I would love to be there and would have a great time!!

I would also LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to hear you play someday! Man, I have such admiration and awe for those who play an instrument so well that I get lost in the music. Sigh.

I actually played piano when I was younger--took lessons for a couple of years--and I have a piano now, but it's been way too long since I've sat down and practiced playing (thanks to headaches again). I bet playing again would help improve my memory, wouldn't it? Hmm. That's it...I'm shutting the computer and waking up the family with my piano playing right now! LOL

Wow, this was like therapy! Thanks, Spy! :-)

One more day and counting until your DH comes home! Yippee!

lainey bancroft 4/05/2008 11:11:00 AM  

Me too! I'm there! And I can drink but it makes me think I can sing...so we won't go to a karaoke bar. 'K?

Bernita 4/05/2008 06:10:00 PM  

Of course I'd come!
Mind you two drinks and I'm tiddly...