Tuesday, April 22, 2008

What Are Your Mental Leg Irons?

Even though I once roomed with a girl going through the process of converting to Judaism, I don't know all that much about the religion. We had some fun conversations, (I just love learning about religions), but she never explained Passover to me in this way:

"This week, while I eat my daily matzo, I'll
be trying to identify my own mental leg irons.
I'll search out the fetters that limit my
perceptions and/or interactions, that prevent
me from flying even freer in my creativity, that
stifle the best in my life and loves."

Isn't that beautiful? Read Pari's post at Murderati yesterday.

I'm going with the idea that my lack of organization is my leg iron, which is why I'm organizing my feeds. My addiction to blogging, of course, is not a leg iron.

(Not to diminish her post with a joke. I'm going to give her question some serious thought this week.)

I am making friends with Google Reader again. I think I'm going back to it, because it's too clumsy to add Feeds into Thunderbird. It feels like I don't have enough blogs to visit every day! I don't know what's up. I need to go through my blogroll and make sure you're all in my reader.

Speaking of which, are you in my blogroll?

If not, please tell me. Really, please. Because if you're not, I'm going to miss out when you update your blog, and I hate to miss things.

  1. This is a most sensible post on promotion, by Lynn Viehl.
  2. I am so bummed Tess Gerritsen's blog is being shut down. I'm sad. I aspired to be her blog one day. 
  3. And I like Jason Pinter's post on the Point System.  Interesting.
  4. This is late news, but does this mean my beloved Borders is going to be okay?
  5. Have you been to edittorent? Awesome site.

So what are your mental leg irons? And are you in my blogroll?

19 bonus scribbles:

Zoe Winters 4/22/2008 02:30:00 AM  

I don't think I'm on your blogroll. I looked and didn't see me but I might have overlooked it. I know you visit my blog a lot.

Bernita 4/22/2008 05:25:00 AM  

Mental leg irons?
All I know is that I clank when I walk.

Susan Helene Gottfried 4/22/2008 07:47:00 AM  

I just realized that while I'm one of your fans and I read you daily, you're not on my blogroll on my blog! I'll be fixing that, have no worries -- and some deep apologies for the omission. A lot of my friends aren't on my blogroll, interestingly enough.

As for the definition of Passover, I like that. The icky Haggadah my family uses repeatedly says that we should talk about the seder as if WE were the slaves, not our fore-ancestors. This idea you're presenting gives that a new resonance. Thanks.

lainey bancroft 4/22/2008 09:28:00 AM  

LOL, Bernita! Me too.

Spy! You don't have enough blogs to read! Gah. Are you for real? Sometimes I can eat hours at a time hopping from blog to blog and I don't even comment on all that many. Tess G for instance will be sorely missed. What a &*(% up that entire situation grew into! I'd like to see anonymous posting banned. IMHO and opinion is ONLY an opinion worth contributing if you're willing to stand up and declare it your own.

Sorry to go off topic. =)

Edie 4/22/2008 09:49:00 AM  

LOL at Bernita. I clank too. Blogs and emails are the worst. I ended up writing so many pages before I opened up my internet, and that helped. But now I'm doing some paying work that I need to be in my Internet. So here I am.

I'm on your blog roll. Magical isn't but you usually go there. Do you visit all these blogs? Wow. That's a lot!

Mark Terry 4/22/2008 10:16:00 AM  

I've long known I'm my own worst enemy. That's about the same as mental leg irons, I think.

Liz Wolfe 4/22/2008 10:37:00 AM  

I'm really sad about Tess G. closing down her blog. It was an auto-read for me. As for Editorrent, Theresa is a friend of mine and she's AWESOME. She crits my stuff sometimes and I'm always blown away at how much she knows and how she imparts that wisdom.

LaDonna 4/22/2008 01:58:00 PM  

Spy, loved the verse you shared. I visit only a certain amount of blogs, because I feel the pull. I could surf the net for most of the day, but that wouldn't get pages done. So, like Edie I might have to do pages first, then my visits.

Melanie Avila 4/22/2008 02:27:00 PM  

I'm there! Thanks. :) I have a decent sized list that I try to I run through every day, and yours makes the short list when I'm pressed for time.

I think my mental leg irons are my insecurities. If I force myself to sit down and do whatever it is I'm dreading I ALWAYS feel better after I get it over with. Right now I need to call a printer in Spanish & I really don't want to, but my client's waiting, so...

spyscribbler 4/22/2008 03:35:00 PM  

Zoe, I will fix that, certainly! You're in my reader and my palm pilot!

LOL, Bernita!

Susan, I'm the same way. I have all my friends scattered between my palm, my Thunderbird Reader, my blogroll, and my transition back to Google Reader.

I'm trying to get them all on Google and my blogroll.

Not my idea, but it's one that's inspired me this week!

spyscribbler 4/22/2008 03:42:00 PM  

LOL, Lainey. It's strange. The places where I look the most, there's never any new posts when I have time to read. Of course, when I don't have time, they build up!

I agree. Oh, Lainey, it's so frustrating about Tess. Why do bad people get to ruin a good thing?

spyscribbler 4/22/2008 03:49:00 PM  

Edie, I like your system! I can now reach the internet at Borders. This is NOT a good thing.

*sigh*

Lots of these blogs aren't in my reader, so I keep missing some of them. It always feel like when I have time, there are no new blog posts, but when I don't have time, there are tons!

spyscribbler 4/22/2008 03:56:00 PM  

Mark, it's true! I think that's why they call golf the game of life: your greatest competitor is really yourself.

The cool thing is that if they're our own limitations, they can (or so they tell me) be removed by ourselves. I don't know. It's hard as hell work, that's for sure.

spyscribbler 4/22/2008 03:58:00 PM  

Liz, me too! I've only just discovered edittorrent (God, I can never spell it right!), but I like it so far!

spyscribbler 4/22/2008 04:04:00 PM  

LaDonna, I need to do Edie's trick. My problem is that I allow myself to read blogs in the morning on my palm pilot before I get up.

That takes TOO MUCH TIME!

But I'm addicted. *whimper*

spyscribbler 4/22/2008 04:08:00 PM  

Melanie, this is funny, but you're actually the reason that's nagged me to get my stuff in order. You're in my blogroll, but you're not in my reader! I keep missing your posts! Honestly, it's driving me crazy.

Funny, I have a short list and a long list, too. :-)

I have the same problem with insecurities. And I HATE calling people.

conley730 4/22/2008 10:13:00 PM  

Spy, you're on mine, but I didn't see me on yours, although I know you visit!

Melanie Avila 4/23/2008 01:41:00 PM  

Glad I could help. ;)

I finally made the call around 4:30, then had to go in this morning. They were so unprofessional I walked out on them. No insecurities today!