Sunday, April 13, 2008

Zip, Zap, Zoom

Firefox 3 is in its final beta version, which means it's as perfect as I can notice, techno-dunce that I am. It is SO fast, it feels like you have a new computer. I switched early because my computer is old and slow, and it was getting stuck with the amount of memory Firefox 2 used.

Firefox 3 is really fast. I thought people were just saying that, and it was just tech-nerd buzz.

Nope. It feels like I have a new computer. What is cooler than that?

And for free!

Today is Global Day for Darfur. The list of participating organizations is huge, and what strikes me is not only the long list of organizations who care about this issue, but the wide variety of approaches they have to the problems.

I'm still reading Lee Child's Without Fail backwards. It's a fascinating study, and I can't put it down. Even backwards. Except the cat knocked it into the tub (he really likes to watch things fall), and so now it's too wet to read.

How do you dry a book out? One would think I should know that sort of thing.

When I was growing my teaching business, I had a habit of shaking things up. I mean, really shaking things up. I would change so much from year to year, I would lose about 20% of my students with every change. I would make BIG changes. (The 20% didn't matter, because I'd get double that calling me.) I learned a ton. So did the kids.

I make fewer risks every year.

I remember the me that used to insist that you're not shaking things up enough if it's not scary. That if you're not shaking things up, you're not growing.

I tell my students to go crazy during their twenties. Explore, live, take risks.

But who ever said it had to stop in your thirties?

7 bonus scribbles:

Edie 4/13/2008 08:08:00 PM  

You don't have to stop taking risks at tany age. I keep doing new things all the time, and I'm in my fifties. If you stop changing, you stagnate. You get rusty and moss grows on you. It's not fun. Grow, Spy, grow! Zip, zap, zoom!

Michelle Lauren 4/13/2008 09:45:00 PM  

Hey "Spy scribbler,"

Just wanted to say hello on your blog. We used to be in the same CLWOW chapter. I don't know if you still are, but I remember meeting you at one Wine & Cheese party (I used to edit the "Chick Chat" newsletter).

I don't think you have to stop taking risks ever. I think as we age, we're able to take more selective chances. Even risks that appear small on the surface may be huge leaps for individuals. Anyone involved in publishing has experienced this. For instance, I started entering my work in contests last year.

The experience terrified me. Putting yourself out there for critique by people who have no qualms about telling you exactly what they feel, no holds bards, is a risky position. But the chance paid off. Both of my novels made the finals; one went on to place 3rd in that contest.

So I think it's safe to safe we continue to take risks as we age. It does become more difficult because as we age, we become more aware of the consequences of taking risks or rocking the boat. That makes a lot of people uneasy, for good reasons (i.e. rocking the boat means you might get thrown out, if you can follow my rambling analogy).

BTW--I love your site. I've added you to my blog roll over at my main site: www.michellelaurenbooks.com

If you get a chance to stop by that or my blog and leave a note, I'd love to hear from you.

Michelle Lauren 4/13/2008 09:48:00 PM  

By the way Spy,

What's your opinion on Firefox 3 vs. Safari? Safari definitely beats Internet Explorer in my opinion on speed, however I've had problems with it logging into my hotmail account.

Sorry about the multi-post. I meant to post this question before.

Stephen Parrish 4/14/2008 02:59:00 AM  

There was a hit song a few years back about wearing sunscreen. I forget the title. One of the lines was "Do something every day that scares you."

I don't, not every day, but when faced with a choice between two alternatives I almost always choose the scarier alternative, and I don't experience much regret.

spyscribbler 4/14/2008 12:05:00 PM  

LOL, Edie! So true! New things, new things! I don't want moss on me!

spyscribbler 4/14/2008 12:07:00 PM  

Hi, Michelle! I think I remember you! I have you in my mind, I hope that's you. :-) Do you have a picture up? I'll remember you in an instant, I'm sure!

That's great about the contests! And it sounds like it was very rewarding for you, too! Taking risks generally pays off, doesn't it? Even if you fall flat on your face, something good always seems to come out of it.

I haven't tried Safari, but Firefox 3 is seriously like browsing with a new computer. It's amazing. It's so fast! And I love the plugins. There are so many things you can add to make your browsing experience perfect for yourself.

spyscribbler 4/14/2008 12:10:00 PM  

Stephen, I wish I could think of something every day that would scare me! That's a great line to live by.

I don't experience much regret. "Never look back," I say. I think the only thing in my life I regret is getting sick in my twenties, and that wasn't my choice. :-)