Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Cravings

Have you ever had a taste for something, but you weren't sure what? Like when you keep standing in front of the refrigerator, door open, hoping something will pop out at you? Or you go to the store and wander the aisles, hoping to find that one thing that will "hit the spot."

You start trying to narrow it down: Sweet? Salty? Bitter? Tart? Cold? Hot?

Sometimes, I just can't put my finger on what I want.

That's how I've felt about reading, lately. I'm dying for a thriller, but ... not really any of the thrillers I pick up. I'm reading a few I love; it's not that. It's just ... I've got a taste for something.

I've had this yearning for a book for over six months.

And I can't find it.

I try all sorts of books; I love them, but they're not quite what I want. I get excited about one or the other, but it fades quickly, because the more I read of it, the more I realize it's not exactly what I want.

This sort of sends me into whining mode. All of a sudden I don't want to read anything.

So I started thinking: maybe it's the book I'm writing that I'm yearning to read.

Writing in a new genre makes me want to find some author who's written what I'm trying to write, just so I can see how it's done.

I can't find someone who's written what I want to write, because I can't quite put my finger on what that is!

So I'm sort of stuck in a tunnel, searching, with no light to guide me.

I hope finishing this thing will satisfy this yearning. It's driving me a bit batty.

Ever have these feelings?

24 bonus scribbles:

Liz Wolfe 5/21/2008 10:01:00 AM  

I'm in the exact same spot right now. I keep looking for a book that's similar to what I'm writing. I think it's because I'd see that as proof that I'm not barking up a tree that no one else can see. This book feels like it doesn't completely fall into an existing genre and I'm not sure if that's good or really, really bad.

Heather Harper 5/21/2008 10:12:00 AM  

Hmmm. Maybe that was why I couldn't finish Twilight and Runemarks... But yeah, I have cravings that drive me batty, too.

Heather Harper 5/21/2008 10:12:00 AM  

That would be Twilight EYES, not TWILIGHT. I could read TWILIGHT over and over...

Anissa 5/21/2008 10:39:00 AM  

Yes!!! And like you, I ultimately came to the realization that I wanted to ready MY book. So I had to finish it.

I tend to know the beginning and the end, but let the story take me where it will. Makes for some exciting (and sometimes frustrating) times!

So yay! I think it's a good thing. The rush over what you're writing matching your cravings as a reader.

Now go crank that puppy out so I can read it too!

Loreth Anne White 5/21/2008 11:13:00 AM  

Sounds to me like you need to write that book you are searching for, Spy. I've read this on other author's bios ... that they couldn't find what they were craving to read, and decided to write it themselves, thus launching a new career.

I'm also on a keen thriller/espionage hunt so .... if you have any pointers, or make any finds ... please do share!!

Avery DeBow 5/21/2008 12:01:00 PM  

I had the same problem. I had a checklist of what I wanted in an urban fantasy, but couldn't find hardly any of my required elements in existing novels. So, I ended up writing what I wanted. I think that may be how many of us start our books. Nothing breeds proactivity like dissatisfaction.

Travis Erwin 5/21/2008 12:46:00 PM  

Good post. I once heard an agent,can remember who, say write the kind of book you want to read, because you can be assured there are others out there who feel the same cravings you do.

Aimless Writer 5/21/2008 04:19:00 PM  

OMG, yes!
Its right there..just outside my vision..I can reach it with the tips of my fingers but just..can't..grasp. My mind wants to reel it in but its too whispy and illusive.

spyscribbler 5/21/2008 07:56:00 PM  

Liz, yes! Although, I think I'm searching for a template or something to make my life easier, LOL.

I always wonder how close "completely falling into an existing genre" is to "being a stereotype."

spyscribbler 5/21/2008 07:57:00 PM  

Heather, I have to read Twilight. People talk about it so much! I really hate it when I don't have the urge to finish a book. :-(

spyscribbler 5/21/2008 07:58:00 PM  

LOL, Anissa! I think you've got it. Now I just have to make sure I write what will satisfy my craving!

spyscribbler 5/21/2008 08:00:00 PM  

Oh, Loreth, what do you want to know? My espionage research extends over YEARS. Three, in fact.

Although, I still feel like I know nothing. I'm going to the International Spy Museum this weekend; anything you want to know? They have an AWESOME collection of books. Hundreds, all espionage-related!

spyscribbler 5/21/2008 08:02:00 PM  

"Nothing breeds proactivity like dissatisfaction."

So true, Avery. Love that. I think that's exactly where I'm coming from, at the moment.

spyscribbler 5/21/2008 08:03:00 PM  

I really hope that's true, Travis! I really hope that's true.

That's my problem, Aimless! I want to write the book I'm craving, but it's just outside my reach! Exactly!

Melanie Avila 5/21/2008 08:24:00 PM  

So what did you eat? ;)

Aside from writing the book you want to read (which I agree with and think is good advice), one trick that works for me is to grab one at random. I rarely watch the one I picked but inevitably the one I'm actually interested in comes to mind. Works for DVDs, too.

Loved the Agape way 5/21/2008 10:38:00 PM  

I'm constantly craving the book I have yet to write! So I'm never satisfied. Brownies, however...they are satisfying!

Edie 5/22/2008 08:51:00 AM  

Yes! Once I'm between books, I'll binge read, but while I'm in the frenzy part of writing, it's my book I need to finish.

Loreth Anne White 5/22/2008 11:16:00 AM  

Hey Spy -- I meant more in terms of: when you do find something close to that elusive espionage thriller, do let us know! But I know you will :)

Enjoy the museum -- I hope to pop in there next summer.

Oddly enough, what has gone part way to sate my hunger for that elusive 'something' is reading several creative non-fiction works. (have I got that term right? I need caffeine still ...)

StarvingWriteNow 5/22/2008 11:30:00 AM  

I totally hate when I have unidentified cravings. Most of the time my cravings are very specific; I can literally taste what it is I want. But on occasion I get the other and I eat every damned thing in the house trying to satisfy it.

I get what you mean about literary cravings. I've been off romance for six months and while I like mysteries and am plowing through Juvenile & YA books, I'm not quite as satisfied as I was with romance. However I don't want to read romance--I'm just not there yet.

Barrie 5/23/2008 04:10:00 PM  

Well, I just read three good books (The Dead Maiden's Hair, The London Eye, Lock and Key) in a row, and now I'm kind of stuck. But I did get three in a row. So, I'm not complaining. ;)

spyscribbler 5/26/2008 02:12:00 PM  

Wow, Melanie. That's kind of like what I do with the coin toss thing. If I can't decide, I toss a coin. Then, I can usually tell what I want to do by whether I'm happy with the outcome of the coin toss or not, LOL.

spyscribbler 5/26/2008 02:14:00 PM  

Loved, Brownies sound AWESOME right now. Just AWESOME. I am so hungry for chocolate.

Edie, I'm dying for a binge read! It's been a dry month all around.

Loreth, I hear you. I LOVE biographies because of that. I hope you enjoy the spy museum. It was fun!

spyscribbler 5/26/2008 02:16:00 PM  

Writenow, I get those cravings, too, and I do eat everything in the house to find it, too! And then I wander through the grocery store forever.

I hear you about romance. I do like and respect romance, but sometimes I have to be in a certain place of my life.

spyscribbler 5/26/2008 02:17:00 PM  

Barrie, I don't know any of those books! I need to check those out, for sure! Three in a row rocks.