Thursday, May 29, 2008

Feeling the Love

First, two links to pass on: I love this post about baby birds at Paperback Writer, and Mark Terry has a 96 page ebook On Writing for free!

When you first love someone, the passion is strong. It's huge. It's something you think about every day, every hour, every night. But then, as time goes on, the passion recedes into a holding position. It's still there, but you only bring it out now and then, when you're reminded how much you love a person.

Like, when DH leaves, I remember how much I love him. For sure. It's not that I love him more when he leaves, of course, it's just that I remember the passion. I feel the passion.

And so it is with writing. For me, particularly, with pseudonym. Just a few days ago, a friend emailed me, and I was talking about something I didn't like about Ms. P's career. Then, all of a sudden, something she said opened this floodgate of passion for what and why Ms. P writes.

I'd forgotten I loved it. Even though, every day when I sit down, I do love it. It's just so common an occurrence, I pretty much forget it exists.

But Ms. P has nowhere to grow. So I'm still intent on feeling the love somewhere else, too.

Because I realized: I can't really write unless I'm feeling the love. I can't GO with a story until I hit that sweet spot, find that passion, feel that overwhelming love that carries me away into the story.

I can piddle. I can research. I can brainstorm and plot a bit. I get little snatches of scenes. But until I feel the love, it just. ain't happening.

I woke up this morning, and suddenly, I'm feeling the love.

Knock on wood.

What about you? Are you like that? When do you fall in love with your story? First? Halfway? After the first draft is done? Or do you feel the love for your readers? Or whatever drives you?

Actually, what drives you? What fuels your writing? Is it love, passion, or ambition? Is it that inner insistence on finding a creative outlet? Or what? And when does it kick in and make the story flow?

8 bonus scribbles:

Travis Erwin 5/29/2008 12:43:00 PM  

A love of books and passion do fuel my writing and they are the things that led me to pursue the craft in the first place but these days I am motivate just as much by stubbornness. I have to prove to both myself and the naysayers that I can do it.

Rhonda Stapleton 5/29/2008 12:45:00 PM  

Good question. I'm driven by motivation to succeed...I also like deadlines. LOL. They force me to work steadily so I don't slack off.

Edie 5/29/2008 11:13:00 PM  

I fall in love with my characters. My stories are character-driven. I left my last story half written because I got a more marketable idea. (I plan on going back to it.) But today I was thinking about the characters, how great they were, and I'm missing them. :(

Off to check out Mark Terry's site. Thanks for letting us know about it.

spyscribbler 5/29/2008 11:39:00 PM  

Travis, I feel that, too. I love story. Story rocks. So do humanity and characters.

Funny about naysayers: sometimes I think I inflate what people say so that they feel like a naysayer (even when they're not), simply because it motivates me.

spyscribbler 5/29/2008 11:40:00 PM  

Rhonda, motivation to succeed is a good one! You do awesome with deadlines. Watching you do Fast Draft was inspiring!

spyscribbler 5/29/2008 11:41:00 PM  

I love my characters, too, Edie. That's so sweet about missing your characters. You know, I have some characters who revisit me near daily in my imaginings. They're, I guess, a bit of an imaginary bunch of friends now.

LOL ... that doesn't sound crazy, does it?

Jennifer McKenzie 5/30/2008 12:32:00 AM  

I have a lot of things that drive me. I want the Redneck to be able to retire early but it's a fabulous outlet for a lot of my angst too.
Best of both worlds.
I treat it like a business though.
I love to write. There are times when the story just won't shake loose.
I barrel through them as best I can.

Bernita 5/31/2008 05:44:00 AM  

It's the exploration - seeing where the characters and plot take me.
I have to like the idea, have anticipation before I begin.