Thursday, May 15, 2008

Help! Please ...

Okay. I'm having the worst time coming up with awards for Saturday. If you have any ideas, I'd be SO amazingly grateful. I've been working on this for two days and I'm getting nothing done.

First off is the award for the person who always gets the job done, no matter what. Responsible, diligent, tenacious ... I wanted to call it the Pit Bull Award, but I'm told that has negative connotations.

(Well, DH always tells me I'm like a pit bull with a bone; I don't let go. I take this as a compliment; he means it as a criticism, LOL.)

He suggested The Marine Award. But I thought that wouldn't quite suit 3rd - 5th grade girls.

I then suggested The Dog With the Bone Award.

He didn't think that would suit.

As for other awards, I kinda like these:

The Mount Everest Award (tackling and mastering a huge challenge), The Can Do It Award (attitude of), The Pablo Casals Award (most likely to save the world through music/sensitivity/compassion).

I've got the "Wonderful Work Ethic Award," which is okay, I guess. A little corny, but please tell me the thought counts?

I just feel this pressure to get the exact right wording to make each student feel really special about their achievements. And the following awards sound so boring compared to how proud I am of their work this year:

The Perserverance Award, The Helpfulness Award, The (can't think of a name; Endurance/Athleticism) Award, Expression, Sharing (their music), Cheerfulness (the infectious kind that makes work fun for everyone around them), Compassion, Adventuresome/Picking Challenges, Patience, Determination.

*sigh*

Maybe it's okay to have boring names if I talk it up. Ugh. Off to write the speech to talk it up.

Any suggestions?

8 bonus scribbles:

conley730 5/15/2008 02:40:00 PM  

How about the Survivor Award? Outwit, Outlast, Outplay! Maybe for the endurance/athleticism one or even the Pit Bull one. What about naming them after people who portray the traits you're awarding?

Aimless Writer 5/15/2008 03:19:00 PM  

Hi Spy!
My company orders stuff from here: http://www.baudville.com/
That might give you some ideas.
Good luck!

Melanie Avila 5/15/2008 11:15:00 PM  

All I can think of are those stupid high school senior superlatives. Is that even what they're called? You know, Most Likely to Succeed, but with a twist. Most Likely to Keep on Playing Even if the Bench Collapses and the Lights Go Out. That sort of thing. :)

spyscribbler 5/15/2008 11:21:00 PM  

That's a GREAT one, Conley! The Survivor Award. That's fantastic! I'm going to use it.

Aimless, that site was PERFECT! Thank you so much, it was exactly what I needed. (And for some reason, I don't think I commented on your post. I did read your blog though, so maybe I did, but good luck on your new adventure! You'll have time to do some COOL stuff!)

I remember those!!! Oh, Melanie, that would be SO much fun, especially for the young kids! I don't think our high school had those, but they are tres cool.

Barrie 5/16/2008 01:47:00 AM  

For the Pit bull Award, could you do something with Sticktoitivness (I know, I know, not good spelling!)?

I do think you're right; if you give a little description of the award along with the name and explain how this person came to win it, the kids will be enthralled.

Especially if you save the student's name til last. Then they're all listening for clues to figure out who's getting the award. :)

spyscribbler 5/16/2008 03:52:00 AM  

Oh, Barrie, thank you! Those are fantastic ideas. The Sticktoitiveness Award it is! I should've offered a prize.

I'm crossing my fingers that the kids all feel great at the end of the recitals. Praying, too.

conley730 5/16/2008 10:02:00 AM  

You'll have to let us know what you decide to name your awards and how the kids liked it.

Avery DeBow 5/16/2008 01:52:00 PM  

Sorry. I'm of zero help, here. I'd be giving them out saying, "Here's your award, it's for whatever you feel you earned it for."