Sunday, May 18, 2008

I Fell Flat On My Face

Yep. I did. I tripped on my pant leg. Flat on my face. It wasn't a stumble. I didn't sink to my knees.  It was BAM! in front of one hundred people. One moment I'm upright and the next minute I'm face down.

I'm telling myself I showed the students that even if you fall flat on your face, you put a smile on your face and keep going. (Keep going is one of my big mantras.)

Other than that, the day went pretty well. Utterly exhausting. I was "on," onstage, for nearly four hours straight because there was no break between recitals (the first recital ran over).

I was more myself this recital. I put at the forefront of the recital what I'm about, as a teacher. Well, I featured the students, hopefully, so they were at the forefront, but I showcased them with all I really try to teach them--not just piano.

It worked out so great, I really don't understand why I didn't do that before. I guess because I was so worried about the business and pleasing the parents and trying to minimize the inconvenience to the parents, that I forgot to show them what I'm about.

I haven't written but a little in the past three weeks. I'm not sleeping at all, because my mind is just whirring at night because I didn't spill its contents on my computer. I can't wait to get back to it tomorrow!

When I start writing again this week, I want to apply the same lesson learned. It's one thing to be real (my motto two years ago), and another to figure out what you're about and to be it more.

What story is not just going to be real for me, but is going to put what I'm about in my story in a big way? That's my writing goal this year.

Any thoughts? And ever fall flat on your face in a very public way?

26 bonus scribbles:

R.J. Keller 5/18/2008 10:48:00 AM  

"figure out what you're about and to be it more"

That is the truest, coolest thing I've read in a very long time. And what an excellent lesson for your students.

All of my public falling-on-my-face incidents have involved high heeled shoes. This is why I wear flats now.

spyscribbler 5/18/2008 12:24:00 PM  

I wish I had at least that excuse, R.J.! I get the flats thing. I think I wore maybe one pair of high-heeled shoes in my life. Maybe. Everything else has been flat, LOL. I'm more about comfort than style.

Aimless Writer 5/18/2008 02:13:00 PM  

Oh Spy! Well after an entrance like that things can only get better!
I trip all time. Usually, I know when my back is going out because I stumble over nothing.
I've also fallen off chairs at work. Thats always entertaining.
Glad the rest of the recital went good!

Edie 5/18/2008 08:45:00 PM  

Spy, falling flat on your face makes you sympathetic to people. In fact, next time I have to speak in public, I'll fall on my face on purpose. ;)

My writing goal is the same as last year. Write a better book than the last one.

Leigh Russell 5/19/2008 05:13:00 AM  

What a recovery! I think I would've run off and hidden in the loo.

Erica Orloff 5/19/2008 08:16:00 AM  

spy:
With your beautiful soul . . . you just got right back up.

:-)

Much love this Monday a.m. Great post.
E

Stephen Parrish 5/19/2008 09:20:00 AM  

Don't forget: anniversary tribute to Miss Snark on Pat Wood's Blog starting May 20th.

StarvingWriteNow 5/19/2008 09:29:00 AM  

Well, I feel like the last six months of my life has been one gigantic flat on my face fall.

BTW, are you returning to Borders any time soon? Believe it or not, I have to get some writing done and I thought perhaps this Friday I would head over there. Will you be around, or are you still in recital land? Would love to catch up with you/cry on your shoulder/etc. etc.

conley730 5/19/2008 09:39:00 AM  

I hope you're okay! I'm glad the recital went so well. I'm as clumsy as they come, so I'm very well acquainted with falling, tripping, stumbling, etc. At least I've never broken anything *knock on wood*!

Avery 5/19/2008 12:24:00 PM  

No tripping, but I have fallen off chairs, as well. The best one was in high school when I fell asleep during a chemistry film. I started awake, jerked upright and toppled off the chair onto my butt.

lainey bancroft 5/19/2008 12:40:00 PM  

Oh, Spy! So sorry you fell and hope you didn't hurt your lil self, but how wonderful you got right back up!

spyscribbler 5/19/2008 01:50:00 PM  

Oh, Aimless, you have a bad back? I fear having a bad back. Let's hope there's no falling for you anytime soon!

spyscribbler 5/19/2008 01:52:00 PM  

LOL, Edie! There's a strategy! I do like to make an audience comfortable, though. I tried, what else can you do, right?

spyscribbler 5/19/2008 01:54:00 PM  

LOL, Leigh! If there would have been somewhere to run, I would've been tempted!

spyscribbler 5/19/2008 01:56:00 PM  

Awww, Erica, thanks! I've had a lot of practice getting up after falling down, that's for sure.

spyscribbler 5/19/2008 01:56:00 PM  

Thanks, Stephen, I almost forgot!

spyscribbler 5/19/2008 01:58:00 PM  

Oh, awesome, Writenow! I'd absolutely LOVE to hang out. I'm heading to Washington DC for a couple days this weekend, and then DH is leaving to work again. :-( :-( :-(

I have TONS of writing to get done in the next three months. Anytime. Maybe we could write for a few hours and then go out and cry over a beer. :-) I should be back by Tuesday or Wednesday or so.

spyscribbler 5/19/2008 01:59:00 PM  

Conley, that's great! I've only ever broken a toe, twice. Once when diving on someone (was on the diving team), and then a few months after while practicing starts for track.

When I was little, my feet pointed in. I CONSTANTLY tripped over my own feet!

spyscribbler 5/19/2008 02:01:00 PM  

OW, Avery! Ohmigosh, that had to hurt, but it's hilarious in the telling. Once, in school, I was tipped back on the back two legs, propping my feet on the desk. And then, BAM! The chair went all the way back.

spyscribbler 5/19/2008 02:02:00 PM  

ROLF, Lainey! "lil"? That was the most embarrassing part. I'm not so little, and it felt like when I went down I shook the whole theater. That night I ate broccoli for dinner. No kidding!

Karen Olson 5/19/2008 05:41:00 PM  

Three years ago, I was playing tennis and I'm not sure what even happened but the next thing I knew, I was sprawled on the court, my glasses broken, my face scratched and bleeding. I still have wicked scars on my knees and shoulder from it. Lucky I didn't break a hip.

spyscribbler 5/19/2008 05:55:00 PM  

Oh, ouch, Karen! Very lucky you didn't break a hip. It's weird, isn't it? One moment you're standing, and the next instant you're on the ground. There's no time to do anything!

Melanie Avila 5/19/2008 06:14:00 PM  

I trip all the time, but aside from my recent tumble in the middle of the street (and that was backwards, not on my face) most of my spills have been because of sports or dancing.

Once while salsa dancing my partner went to dip me low but my foot slipped and we both ended up on the floor - him on top of me. In the middle of a club.

I also had the experience of opening my eyes and seeing a dozen people looking down at me to see if I was alright. I was playing flag football, went to catch the ball, it drilled me in the head at the same time a man from the other team tried to catch the ball through my head. I'm ok now. ;)

Anissa 5/19/2008 08:10:00 PM  

I hope you had a wonderful writing day, Spy!

It sounds like the recitals were great, fall and all. I think I might have stuck with the piano longer if I'd had a teacher like you. :)

Avery DeBow 5/20/2008 12:56:00 PM  

Hey, you're coming to D.C.? Where are you heading? You know, that's my former neck of the woods. Now, I'm about two hours away.

spyscribbler 5/21/2008 07:34:00 PM  

Hah, Melanie! That's hilarious. That could be really sexy, too!

Who knows, Anissa? Kids either love me or get tired of practicing, LOL.

Oh, cool, Avery! The International Spy Museum, of course! DH wants to go to the zoo and the American History museum, and we'll probably hit Georgetown and Embassy Row.

Any suggestions?