Wednesday, May 07, 2008

It's like, book city!

I haven't been to Borders or writing for about a week, maybe a week and a half. I can't remember, LOL, and that's highly unusual for me. (I usually go everyday.)

So when I went today, I had to go through the store and touch all the new books and see all the new displays. As I was up front checking out the new James Patterson book, (definitely caught my eye, since I've fallen in love with my share of imaginary characters) a little kid came in the front door, seemingly for the first time.

He stopped, his eyes got really big, and he got this huge, silly grin on his face.

"Whoa!" he said. "It's like, book city!"

I had to laugh, because that's the exact same feeling I get every time I walk into a book store.

Definitely a kid after my own heart.

I just love the bookstore. And since I was tagged by Edie and Karen, I'll do that page 123 thing with James Patterson's new book, which asks the question, "What if your imaginary friend from childhood was your one true love?"

Isn't that a cool premise?

Page 123, five sentences in, plus the next three. (Did I get that right? I'm not at home to check.)

" ... Come for a ride. I want to talk to you, Jane. I came all the way up here from the Village."

"I really don't know that we have anything to talk about, Hugh," I said, keeping my voice mild.

If you haven't done this, feel free, and I'll link to you here! I won't tag to anyone specifically, since I forget who's already played!

How's your week going? How was your weekend?

5 bonus scribbles:

Aimless Writer 5/07/2008 01:19:00 PM  

I love that first step into a book store. Only I don't think "book city" , my thoughts say, "all these got published so can mine!"
I loved James Patterson until I read The Quickie. Every page was a chapter! It drove me crazy! It was like reading a kids book. Was he drunk when he wrote this? I know he's known for short chapters but that was annoyingly ridiculous! And I heard he has a team of writers writing his books. What's that about?
I was looking at his new book yesterday in the store...thinking..maybe...
Let me know if you like it.

Liz Wolfe 5/07/2008 02:45:00 PM  

I'd love to hear what you think about the book. Some of Patterson's books are my favorites, others not so much. Even the last Cross novel didn't seem as good as the earlier ones. I have to say that the last page of Roses are Red had such a twist that I gasped. But you really had to read the book earlier in the series to be shocked at the twist.

spyscribbler 5/07/2008 03:09:00 PM  

Aimless, to tell you the truth, I was fascinated. I carried it over with me, typed the sentences for the meme, and didn't read much else.

How do I put this? When I opened up the book to find page 123, my first thought was, "Ohmigod, does it even have 123 pages?"

It's written in big print, sort of, with very easy language. I mean, YA and children's books don't even dumb down that much.

But I'm really curious as to how he's going to spin out this story. I confess I have a set of imaginary friends that are years and years old, LOL, and I'm a little bit in love with one ... and Ranger.

(Well. I eventually turned them into characters, so I'm not crazy, right? Oh, gawd, now I'm embarrassed.)

spyscribbler 5/07/2008 03:11:00 PM  

Liz, I love the Cross movies. I've never read a James Patterson book, completely by accident, not by design. Which Cross book do I start with? I loved the movies, and they don't strike me as so ... easy-reading as this one.

Edie 5/08/2008 12:34:00 AM  

I tried reading one of his books. There was no character development, and most of his paragraphs were one sentence. Maybe his other books are better, but I don't have any desire to read them.

What a smart kid! Has a way with words. LOL