Sunday, May 04, 2008

Learn Your Limitations ...

Ever since I attended (and had a couple of my students participate in) a workshop by one of my favorite piano teachers, I've been jazzed. This isn't great for writing, at the moment, but once I get everyone planned for next year and get through the Spring Recital, life should be back in balance again.

One of the hardest things to do is to see our own limitations.

They're easiest to find when they're hiding behind an "I can't."  They're much more difficult to unearth when they're invisible under any variation of "it's hopeless."

Sometimes, the easiest way out of a rut is just to see what's possible, to see where the next mountain lies. The further past the basics you get, the harder it is to see where you're limiting yourself.

What a great thing when we find them. I step over them, put them behind me, and firmly fix my gaze on what's possible, on what I previously thought was impossible.

More and more, whether it be writing or music, I find the path to improvement is finding and discovering what we can't currently see.

Once you can see something, you can fix it.

Once you step beyond your current limitations, there's a whole toy store of stuff to play with. It's exhilarating, really. All we have to do is see what's possible beyond our limitations.

Limitations are just an entranceway to the fun.

Learn 'em, and then jump to the other side.

Have you ever had that experience of banging your head against a ceiling for ages and ages and ages, and then suddenly you're through, and you're exhilarated for weeks on all the new stuff you get to play with?

18 bonus scribbles:

Barrie 5/05/2008 12:58:00 AM  

Yes, I have had that experience. Recently, in fact. I discovered that I can live through public speaking. And even enjoy it.

Edie 5/05/2008 10:29:00 AM  

Terrific post, Spy! Very inspiring. It's happened with my writing, taking it to another level. It's happened in my personal life just by changing my thinking from negative to positive. It's amazing how much you can do if you believe you can.

Ello 5/05/2008 04:34:00 PM  

Good post! I am there with you. I was so stuck in a corner with no way out that I could see. I had to step away and think of everything else until finally I had an epiphany and I made it safely to the other side. It is a good feeling.

Avery DeBow 5/05/2008 05:05:00 PM  

"They're easiest to find when they're hiding behind an "I can't." They're much more difficult to unearth when they're invisible under any variation of "it's hopeless."

I love this explanation. I can tell you've helped many a student go places he or she never thought possible.

Melanie Avila 5/05/2008 06:36:00 PM  

I agree, great post. Too many times I've realized that what's truly holding me back is ME. Not any of the excuses I lay out there. Thanks for the inspiring words.

spyscribbler 5/06/2008 01:27:00 AM  

Barrie, that's cool! I remember you blogging about that. Are you planning to do more, soon? Congrats!

spyscribbler 5/06/2008 01:29:00 AM  

Edie, that's so true. The hardest part, sometimes, is just believing we can. I hope it happens to my writing sometime!

spyscribbler 5/06/2008 01:30:00 AM  

Ello, thanks! Isn't it a great feeling? I've been stuck for about a year or two. Let's hope my students are ready to go with me, though!

spyscribbler 5/06/2008 01:31:00 AM  

Oh, Avery, I don't know. I try. It's more difficult to get them past the "I'm afraid I can't" valley. Very difficult. It is one of the lessons I hope most to impart.

spyscribbler 5/06/2008 01:32:00 AM  

Melanie, it's always me holding myself back, it seems! I'm clever with the excuses sometimes, and I don't even realize I'm making them!

StarvingWriteNow 5/06/2008 06:35:00 AM  

Well, kind of... my relationship with my ex was like that for the last 6 months of it or more. And now that it's over and I'm literally moved on, a lot of possibility that I could not see before has come to light.

Travis Erwin 5/06/2008 11:39:00 AM  

Timely post. I've been in a rut for a week or so, but today I feel like I could write forever. Lets hope the feeling lasts.

LaDonna 5/06/2008 02:35:00 PM  

Spy, love your post! You've shared a very valuable lesson today. I think we all get "stuck," and finding our way out isn't always easy. I've had more energy these last few days, and its seeped into all aspects of my life. I didn't even realize I'd been temporarily stuck. LOL. We've had some major family adjusting, with my youngest moving to Alaska for a while. We survived, and she's excited and that's all that matters in the big picture. Sometimes we have to stand still, I think, to experience. I'm just loving this new energy, though. Thanks for sharing!

spyscribbler 5/06/2008 07:21:00 PM  

Writenow, this may not compare, but I remember this guy I almost married. When he left, I wanted him back, and I cried and cried. Then a couple months later, I realized he was out of my life, and this HUGE BURDEN fell off my back. I was suddenly so relieved to be free! I hope that happens to you. :-)

spyscribbler 5/06/2008 07:21:00 PM  

I love those days, Travis! I need one of those days, badly!

spyscribbler 5/06/2008 08:06:00 PM  

Wow, LaDonna, Alaska? That's cool. That's where Glenn goes to work a bunch. Isn't that new energy great?

I'm sorry your daughter is going to be so far away!

LaDonna 5/06/2008 10:45:00 PM  

Hey Spy! My daughter's hubby is military and I think the base is close to Fairbanks. We're just now getting used to some of Alaska's cities and stuff. Picture 3 kiddies, one rather large dog, and a couple tooling from AL to Fairbanks in an explorer! LOL. Gotta love the image.

Where did Glenn work?

spyscribbler 5/07/2008 12:24:00 PM  

Hey, LaDonna! That's really cool. I'm not good on the geography of Alaska. It's much bigger than I imagined it. He'll be up on Petersburg this summer. I'm pretty sure it's close to Men and Trees, LOL. ;-) One of the Men and Trees characters was going to meet the mayor of Petersburg, LOL.