Monday, May 26, 2008

The Lolita Effect

Hi all! I'm sitting in an internet cafe in DC while DH messes with the airlines and tries to get things worked out and checked in and whatever. Ah well. I'll start the countdown for his return tomorrow.

Anyway, I'll probably be gone most this week, too, but I wanted to pass on this link to Ello's Blog, where she's interviewing Dr. Durham on Wednesday about her book, The Lolita Effect. Here's a summary of the book:

In The Lolita Effect, University of Iowa professor and
journalist M. Gigi Durham offers new insight into media
myths and spectacles of sexuality. Using examples
from popular TV shows, fashion and beauty magazines,
movies, and Web sites, Durham shows for the first time
all the ways in which sexuality is rigidly and restrictively
defined in media—often in ways detrimental to girls’
healthy development. The Lolita Effect offers parents,
teachers, counselors, and other concerned adults
effective and progressive strategies for resisting the
violations and repressions that render girls sexually
subordinate. Durham provides us with the tools to
navigate this media world effectively without censorship
or moralizing, and then to help our girls to do so in strong
and empowering ways. (Overlook Press)

I'm quite passionate on the subject.

And, since I just have to rant every time the book comes up in any way, I'll do it again: I don't care how good or well-written or whatever the book Lolita is, you won't catch me reading it. There are just lines one doesn't cross, and, you know, I don't do that line. I can't do that line. I can't even read fiction about it, even if it's excellent fiction. Yuck.

I'm not sure when I'll be around this week, but I'll check out the archives for sure. I hope you'll pop by her blog on Wednesday! There's a Q&A session, I believe.

I hope you're having a nice, extended weekend!

6 bonus scribbles:

Edie 5/27/2008 08:18:00 AM  

Spy, hope you're having a great time. I saw the new Indiana Jones movie, and it was pretty good.

I feel sorry for young girls these days. You can't walk down a shopping mall without seeing how women are sexualized. It's sad.

Melanie Avila 5/27/2008 03:28:00 PM  

Have a safe trip!

I think the over-sexualization of girls is even worse here in Mexico. Girls as young as 5 and 6 strut around in halter and belly tops, high heels, and short skirts. It really is sad.

spyscribbler 5/27/2008 08:23:00 PM  

Oh, Edie, that's awesome! That was out this weekend? Darn, DH wanted to see it, but he thought he'd miss it. He wouldn't have!

I agree about young girls, definitely.

spyscribbler 5/27/2008 08:23:00 PM  

Melanie, wow. Yeah. There is so much more emphasis on appearance for girls than there is for boys. Tons more. I don't agree with it.

Ello 5/27/2008 10:29:00 PM  

Thanks so much for this! You are a total peach! I hope you can pop by but understand as you are busy travelling around!

Bernita 5/28/2008 07:45:00 AM  

You won't catch me reading it either.