Wednesday, May 14, 2008

A Show of Hands?

So, last night, I spent SIX HOURS unraveling the mess of backups upon backups upon backups I had strewn across three computers. Sometimes four backups on one computer.

Finding the most up to date version is a MESS.

I am not what you'd call a techie geek. Okay, lately, since I've become addicted to Life Hacker, I've been edging towards that way, for sure.

But techie or not, and especially those not, can you watch this and not absolutely SALIVATE, chomp at the bit, want so bad you CAN'T WAIT for GetDropbox to come out?

*whimper*

8 bonus scribbles:

Edie 5/14/2008 02:11:00 PM  

Spy, you're much more of a techie than I am. I only have one computer and, um, are we supposed to delete our backups?

spyscribbler 5/14/2008 02:15:00 PM  

LOL, true, Edie. It was more of a mass sync and delete, so that I had ONE up to date version.

Then I backed that up, of course. But at least for the moment, every file is in the right place, and is up to date.

So no digging through ten possible place to figure out which one has the correct and most up to date file.

*sigh*

That's why I love Dropbox. It automatically syncs everything without you have to do anything. That's AWESOME!

spyscribbler 5/14/2008 02:17:00 PM  

(Oh, and we have three computer because one's an ancient waiting room computer for the students to do theory work (and serve as a central backup for us), one's DH's computer, and one's mine.

I'm not such a glutton I use three computer myself! Just felt the need to clarify, LOLOL.)

lainey bancroft 5/14/2008 03:53:00 PM  

OMG, Spy! Do you suppose even I could use this?

And like, not have to screw around forever to reformat things I've emailed myself from Mac and opened on PC and renamed and lost and recopied and, like...Oh, never mind. I'd be happy if I could just post a picture on my freakin' blog and have it come out the proper size every time!

Avery DeBow 5/14/2008 05:14:00 PM  

Mac has a new thing called "Time Machine." It backs up your entire computer to a separate hard drive. If you lose files on Tuesday, you can just go back to Monday and retrieve everything. It's a really nice thing to have around.

Edie 5/14/2008 08:03:00 PM  

If I have to buy another computer, I'm tempted to buy a Max. I hear there's a lot of problems with Vista.

spyscribbler 5/14/2008 08:16:00 PM  

Me, too, Lainey! And I have no idea how to work those automatic syncing things that are supposed to back up stuff. It's all too confusing.

This looks like it does everything automatically. I'm dying for a tool like that!

spyscribbler 5/14/2008 08:19:00 PM  

Nice, Avery. I've been lusting after a Mac.

Oh, Edie! You should get one and send me a picture and tell me all about it, so I can live vicariously! I've been lusting after one. They look so cool!

And you could use Scrivener, the one writing program (aside from Word) I wish I could use!