Thursday, May 01, 2008

Unwinding ... and Winding Up

It's weird. When I have no time, when I'm working all day and night, I still have to take time to unwind.

Even if I've been working for 15 hours and I'm exhausted, I can't just go to bed. I have to relax first. You'd think the sleep would be welcome, and it is, but ... I just can't get myself there until I do the blog routine and the bath routine.

Even though it means two hours less sleep.

Are you like that?

And here's another question: have you ever been too tired to sleep? Have you ever been unable to keep your eyes open, but when you go to bed, you can't fall asleep?

I've been spending lots of time getting my studio website updated, during my free seconds. It's that time of year. After a great conference, I have lots of new ideas to make teaching more fun for me and the students.

I'm not a one-thing person, though. I miss writing. I need to do two things to maintain balance. I do get more done when I focus on one thing, but only because I'll obsessively focus on it for days, and even skip sleep. That's not healthy. I need two things so I don't go nuts.

What about you?

When you don't have time to write, how do you handle it? Do you go inwardly mad? What is it about writing that makes it so addictive like that?

I miss my worlds, too. You know? I miss my characters.

I think I'm up too late.

Have you ever not wanted to go on a vacation because you didn't want to miss a writing day?

Just curious. I can't wait until Monday is here! Must. Write.

12 bonus scribbles:

lainey bancroft 5/01/2008 09:14:00 AM  

LOL, Spy!

Yes, to pretty much all of the above!

Especially the sleep. I have no trouble getting to sleep but lately I've had this wacky internal alarm that goes off sometime between 2-3 and I lay there, thoughts pouring out but just too exhausted to get up and get them down on paper. Strange because I've always been a 'farmers hours' type person. Not sure why the creative ounce of my brain wants to torture me in the middle of the night.

And the DH thinks I need help because I take my scribble books everywhere and have written some of the stuff I like best longhand while he barrels along the highway!

Melanie Avila 5/01/2008 01:04:00 PM  

I definitely need time to unwind. I'm not working now so it's not as severe, but when I worked at an ad agency I needed at least an hour or two before I could go to bed.

spyscribbler 5/01/2008 01:06:00 PM  

Oh, Lainey! What a terrible time to wake up. Too early to wake up early and too late to be a night owl!

I've always wanted to be a farmer's hours girl. I'm envious.

Isn't it funny what DH's put up with? Sometimes I think DH looks at me like I'm some strange alien creature.

spyscribbler 5/01/2008 01:08:00 PM  

That's exactly it, Melanie! And even though it makes me more tired in the morning, there it is, day after day, again and again.

Edie 5/01/2008 01:52:00 PM  

If I go to bed after a bout of writing, my mind is still busy with my characters, no matter how tired I am. I have to do something that slows down my brain before I go to bed.

I started writing after taking two weeks off to let my new idea simmer, and it feels so good! I'm much happier.

writtenwyrdd 5/01/2008 06:26:00 PM  

I take vacation so I can write. Best vacation I ever had was a week Downeast Maine in a timeshare all alone, writing dawn to dusk. I wanted to do it again this year but circumstances prevented me.

spyscribbler 5/01/2008 09:52:00 PM  

Edie, I'm like that too. The mind is just whirling! That's one of the reasons a great writing day is almost always followed by a sluggish one, for me, because I don't get any sleep!

Hey, good luck on launching the new idea! Time off is sometimes great!

spyscribbler 5/01/2008 09:54:00 PM  

Oh, wow, Writtenwyrdd, that sounds awesome! Maine's been on my wanna-go-see list.

I'd like to take a week or two and just not have anything but writing, where it doesn't matter when I wake up and when sleep?

Aimless Writer 5/02/2008 07:31:00 AM  

My idea of a vacation is to sit around writing all day with no other distractions! Give me my lap top, a glass of wine and a good WIP and I'm in heaven. Ok, maybe coffee in the morning. If I drink before dinner I fall asleep. How did Hemingway do it?
I think the multitasking thing is a woman thing. Most successful women I know are always in motion.
When I don't write--I go crazy.
When my old laptop crashed my dh ran right out and got me another because he doesn't want to live with me if I can't write. :)~ Self preservation on his part. lol
Sleep is for the weak. Wayne Dyer once said, "The morning breeze has secrets to tell you. Do not go back to sleep."
All the morning breeze has told me is to do something about the dark circles under my eyes from lack of sleep.

Loreth Anne White 5/02/2008 12:53:00 PM  

Oh yes, I often can't sleep because I'm too tired. It tends to happen if I've had a lot of tension, excitement, or too much physical activity during the day that has worn me out. For example, I can't sleep if I've just run a marathon, or sold a book for that matter :). I think it's got something to do with the cortisol dump in one's system from adrenline??

spyscribbler 5/03/2008 03:52:00 PM  

Aimless, I love that! Wine and writing! I love to play piano drunk. I've never written drunk. :-) That's an experiment!

As far as sleep goes, I am definitely weak. :-)

spyscribbler 5/03/2008 03:54:00 PM  

Loreth, yes! EVen last night, after the first day of guild, I was no longer nervous. I was SO exhausted I couldn't keep my eyes open. Then I went to bed, and I couldn't sleep!

I'm surprised to hear about the marathon thing! I always figured you'd sleep for a day after that!