Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Where Does It Come From?

I was trolling the internet, looking for quotes for the recital program and ideas for awards (I googled old-fashioned virtues, LOL. I'm pretty old-fashioned in some respects.), and I came across the mention that George Lucas was completely broke by the time Star Wars hit the theaters, having had to use mostly his money because so many people didn't believe in his vision.

It's not an original story, certainly. (And my source was not much of one, so I may have the details wrong; feel free to correct me.)

But I was wondering: where does that come from? What kept him, and all the others like him, going?

Is it faith and belief that their vision will become profitable?

Is it an attitude of damn the consequences, I just have to do this?

Is it an inner certainty that they are on the right path?

Are they so focused on their target, they don't see the rocks falling around them?

Is it some life mission encoded in their DNA, which allows them to take no other path?

There are some things that not even the most positive human being can manufacture. There have been some things in my life I've had no doubt about. And those beliefs were not manufactured, they weren't pep-talked into existence.

Just a bunch of questions and thoughts. I rarely tell my students "you can do it." I have to SHOW them, PROVE it to them. People just don't believe stuff like that. It has to come from somewhere inside.

I don't know. I'm just thinking. And procrastinating more work. I took a three hour nap this morning, but that's all the sleep I've had in the past two days. I'm not going to get much than that tonight.

Back to it, I guess. I keep fantasizing about spending all day Tuesday in bed. Reading.

5 bonus scribbles:

LaDonna 5/14/2008 08:26:00 PM  

Yep, call me wierd but I really think we all come with a plan. You see children with amazing abilities at an early age, a person driven to do this "thing" regardless of obstacles and money. It's comforting in a way, that the restlessness allows us to make a choice, and do it. Pretty cool! :)

Great blog, Spy!

Barrie 5/15/2008 03:32:00 AM  

Here's an interesting explanation from Jenny Crusie:
http://www.jennycrusie.com/essays/ratswithislands.php

Erica Orloff 5/15/2008 07:35:00 AM  

I love stories like his. What keeps someone going? What keeps ME going?

I think I was never particulary interested in settling for what I called an "ordinary" life--punching a clock, working for "the man" for thirty years, retiring, dying. :-) So it's the utter faith that this way suits me and there's no turning back. That this is like gambling and putting my chips down on the craps table. I don't know. I just keep going.
E

Edie 5/15/2008 08:02:00 AM  

Great questions, Spy! I agree with everything the others said. I tried taking different routes, but they weren't right for me. This seems to be the one I have to take, for whatever reason. I wish mine was an easier one, but it wasn't to be.

And why not lie in bed all day Tuesday reading? It sounds lovely to me (except I'd be in the recliner).

Ello 5/15/2008 11:33:00 AM  

Interesting question. I think it is a nice mix of alot ot these. AFter all, you have to not care about the walls falling around you, have to know that what you are doing is just going to work, etc. I love success stories like this. But for every success story, there are many more failures. What distinguishes the two is interesting to ponder also.