Monday, June 23, 2008

2,000 Children?

I try to keep abreast of what's going on in the world. (The BBC offers feeds for each section of interest if you want to plug it into your reader, and the UN Dispatch also has a feed.) 

Still, I somehow missed Haiti. I don't know how. 2,000 children? Isn't Haiti ... small? From the Un Dispatch:

CNN reports on horrific crimes against children in the restive, gang controlled slums of Port-au-Prince:

"In Haiti, UNICEF and local officials report that kidnapped children are being raped, tortured and murdered. The United Nations Stabilization Mission in Haiti has been working with the national police force to try to halt such crimes. They suspect that criminal gangs are responsible."

The agency reports that as many as 2,000 children a year are trafficked to the Dominican Republic, often with their parents' support. And about 1,000 children are working as spies, messengers or soldiers for armed gangs in the Haitian capital of Port-au-Prince.

Earlier in the month, a demonstration was held in Haiti's capital after a 16-year-old hostage was murdered and other hostages had been raped and lynched, including infants, UNICEF said.

So ... how was your weekend? I have some cool news tomorrow! (I hope!)

14 bonus scribbles:

LaDonna 6/23/2008 10:35:00 PM  

Spy, these crimes are the most difficult for me to come across. I've watched movies like Beyond Borders, Rawanda, and I'm stunned. The factual stories happening today are not shown on the news like they should be. I've watched documentaries on T.V. about street children too. The world has become so desensitized to horror, and it's a shame that people know much more about Paris Hilton than the millions of people who are victims of genocide and torture. It's not even on the radar for some people. Sorry so wordy, but I love children. They should never be harmed.

Very sad.

mom2brie,  6/23/2008 10:39:00 PM  

Well, damn, that's depressing :(

Edie 6/24/2008 12:43:00 AM  

Spy, I hate it that these terrible things happen in this world. LaDonna already said everything I would like to say.

For a change of topic and mood, I'm eager to hear your cool news. :)

Erica Orloff 6/24/2008 06:50:00 AM  

Hi Spy:
This world will be measured by how we cared for our children. And our track records, as a human civilization, is abysmal.

E

Leigh Russell 6/24/2008 03:43:00 PM  

Shudder across the blogsphere.
I notice you claim the best part of your blog is the comments, presumably from other people. Why are we women so self effacing? I find your posts interesting and stimulating.

Melanie Avila 6/24/2008 04:23:00 PM  

I'm surprised I hadn't heard that either. I spend most of my time online and we watch a lot of educational programs. Awful, just awful.

If only more people thought like Erica - I think that's very true about society being measured by how we care for our children.

Can't wait to hear your news. :) Is it about a _____?

spyscribbler 6/24/2008 04:26:00 PM  

LaDonna, isn't it awful? That's why I subscribe to the BBC and other selected places for my world knowledge. The CNN is ridiculous. Although, I suppose if the only way you can make people aware of the world is to put down a dose of celebrity, then ... what can you do? Still, unless you go looking for it, there's a whole world out there that we just don't know.

Yeah, really, about children. I just don't get it. I don't understand.

spyscribbler 6/24/2008 04:27:00 PM  

Sorry, mom2brie! :-) And that's just the beginning, sadly. :-(

spyscribbler 6/24/2008 04:27:00 PM  

LOL, Edie. I hope I didn't make it out to be too cool. It's not, really, just I'm finally going in beta with this site I've been struggling with for ages!

spyscribbler 6/24/2008 04:32:00 PM  

Erica, I don't know if it will be measured or not, but I definitely think we should be making a better world for our children. I just don't understand the "I'll be dead, so what do I care?" mentality.

And I Just. Don't. Understand. how people can do this to children. I can't get in their mindset to understand. Do they think they're rats or something?

spyscribbler 6/24/2008 04:36:00 PM  

Leigh, LOL. Well, it's true. It's not self-effacing. I guess I don't spend a lot of time with writers in real life, so the part of this blog I enjoy most is the comments. It's half my social life, at least, LOL. I'm pitiful, huh?

spyscribbler 6/24/2008 04:40:00 PM  

Melanie, that was my reaction exactly. I try to stay abreast of things around the world, so I was surprised I hadn't heard of it.

I agree the measure of a society is how they care for their children and their children's future.

Robin 6/24/2008 07:46:00 PM  

Spy, that's awful. I'm trying to make last minute vacation plans right now. Did the article mention where in Haiti the children are kidnapped from, by any chance? Will they kidnap foreign teens? What if you payed them a lot?

(Perhaps that was too sick even for me.)

I work 3 days a week in an inner city residential program in Reading, PA. These poor kids have been through hell. I echo Erica's sentiments. Ladonna too.

WendyCinNYC 6/24/2008 07:56:00 PM  

Ugh, that's awful. I subscribe to a newsletter from an organization called Equality Now that keeps people informed about injustices across the world to women and children. It breaks my heart to read each story, but they also have a list of ways to help (usually by writing letters to political leaders, both in the US and wherever it's happening.)