Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Egg on Face; Cool Publishing Path

So three things happened this morning. The first is that, ohmigosh, I missed reporting two release dates.

First, Meg Gardiner (love her blog; love her humor ... or is it humour over there?)  The Dirty Secrets Club came out a bit ago, plus I just saw China Fire on the tables at Borders.

She has an interview up at Omnivoracious, an Amazon blog, talking about how Stephen King helped get her a US publisher. VERY cool story!

Second, Bernita Harris's new Lillie St. Claire story was released yesterday in the Weirdly II Anthology.  The first one was awesome. You know how I love short stories. The second one I'm positive is fantastic, but I'll let you know personally in a day or two. :-)

And finally, as I opened my reader, I discovered that Things Are Not All That Bad in Haiti. It's a retraction, but it's a confusing one.

So are you saying 2,000 children is not all that bad for Latin America? Or are you saying the 2,000 figure is off? Or what?

Sometimes retractions are fine, sometimes they look like sloppy reporting.

So I went digging and learned that the UN Dispatch is "sponsored" by the UN Foundation, but it is not part of the UN.

I feel like unsubscribing and going back to subscribing to the UN's own feeds directly, even though they don't offer full feeds. If this is his only mistake, that's cool. It's just, when it's your first week with a blog, it doesn't give me a whole lot of confidence that I'm getting what I want.

But, gosh, he did quote CNN. Can I blame him for that? My irritation with CNN grows every day.

Go BBC!

I didn't mean to bury my announcement about The Spy Books Drop Site. If you get a chance, I'd appreciate your thoughts. Egg on Face #4: The formatting in my feeds is all screwed up and I don't know how to fix it. That pretty much sums up what it was like figuring out how to work Expression Engine!

2 bonus scribbles:

Bernita 6/25/2008 02:45:00 PM  

Thank you, Dear One!Really kind of you to mention Weirdly at all, you know.
Thing is: if you don't like the Lillie story,the anthology's not a waste.

spyscribbler 6/25/2008 03:47:00 PM  

This is true, Bernita, I enjoyed many of the other stories.

But I still am buying it for Lillie's story.