Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Fears? And Time.

What are you afraid of? Do you ever feel a bit embarrassed to be afraid?

Today wasn't bad, but they take FOREVER. As I was coming home, I felt a little bit embarrassed for whining on my blog about being afraid. I mean, sheesh. I feel like a wimp.

The student dentist spent TWO HOURS with me, just getting acquainted with my teeth.

And I had to set up a second appointment, again for TWO HOURS, where he'll make a "treatment plan."

So I set it up for tomorrow. I'm trying to get it over with, and it's SO slow.

But as I was driving home, I though that I'd much rather have a fourth-year dental student spend four hours with me, along with a teacher coming by to check what he does, than ten minutes with a dentist.

So that's cool. I definitely need a root canal. I complained that I brushed for five minutes with an Oral-B electric toothbrush and flossed and took really good care of my teeth. He said that oral care matters, but it's partly just genetics.

And then he told me he sees people who NEVER brush, and they never get cavities.

Is that not unfair???

The thing about a fourth-year dental student is, I think, they're grateful to get out of the classroom and do some real stuff. And they're at that stage where they still believe they actually like what they're about to do. And I think they're graded on niceness or something. Everyone was so nice.

It was much better than two dentists ago, a "real" dentist, who actually YELLED at me for being afraid. I didn't even do anything wrong, like jerk away or anything. He just took it upon himself to SCOLD me for being afraid, I guess because I had to hold DH's hand.

If I hadn't been so terrified, I would've given him a piece of my mind.

I guess I do feel a little bit embarrassed for being afraid of the dentist.  Oh well, I'm just hoping this mess is over with as soon as possible!

The time thing is nice, though. Have you noticed how the world has become about not having time for this or that? Like the customer needs the quickest and most convenient experience. And it's gotten worse: now some business books even talk about dropping customers who take up too much time.

So I'll take the four hours.

4 bonus scribbles:

Edie 6/19/2008 12:22:00 AM  

Spy, I have bad teeth genes too. And you're right, it's definitely not fair. :(

Hope it goes faster than 2 hours tomorrow after all.

Aimless Writer 6/19/2008 07:15:00 AM  

He yelled at you? I have a few bad names to fling at him that I'm too polite to write here.
I used to be a dental assistant in my last life (many years ago) and I held the hand of many fearful patients. Handleing fear is part of the job. He needs to get a new one if he can't handle it without yelling. What a jerk.
The dental student sounds nicer. And he's probably going to be more careful.

Melanie Avila 6/20/2008 12:39:00 PM  

It is nice when they take time with you. My doctor here always sits at her desk and talks to me BEFORE the exam, then again AFTER the exam. Even though there are always several women waiting for their appt, she's never rushed me out.

spyscribbler 6/20/2008 12:45:00 PM  

Edie, I agree. It did go two hours, but it was okay. The scary part is in a week. :-)

Aimless, wow, see, I wish you'd been there! I will give the dentist that it was Friday afternoon, and I'd just chipped a tooth. He'd probably planned on going home early. Still. I agree with you. :-)

Melanie, that's awesome! See, that really makes me trust a doctor.