Friday, June 27, 2008

For Crying Out Loud!

So, okay, it's been a day. For the third day. Mostly because DH just hasn't called in three days now.

The first day, I figured he was busy. No biggie.

The second day, I was already panicking. You see, the second day was his birthday. It's been our running joke for the year because last year I forgot his birthday.

(I have to interject: I did NOT forget it was his birthday. I forgot that that particular day was already the 26th. There IS a difference, right?)

He's a guy who likes attention on his birthday. So I was definitely worried when he didn't call yesterday. And then today, nothing yet. I'm in half a panic, trying not to be.

I keep telling myself it could be internet costs. They raised the rates, RETROACTIVELY. By a HUGE amount. AFTER he downloaded 629 MB of pictures, they mentioned rates had gone up to $1 a MB! 

So I wouldn't be surprised if he got a bill for $2,000 and threw his computer in his suitcase or something. Or maybe the company cut service and is setting up one with a new company; they had been making noises of doing that.

Or maybe something's wrong.

Anyway, you remember when the Hot Cop came and got my keys out of the car when I was locked in my house?

Well, I took the house key off DH's set and hid it outside. Brilliant, no?

Last week, I locked myself out of the house. No biggie. I was so proud of myself, because I went and got the key and got in the house! Brilliant method!

And then I put that spare key on my table.

You know where this is leading, I bet.

Last night, there were two keysets: DH's car keys without the house key, and mine, with the house key. I looked at DH's and said no, that's the wrong one. I went and picked up my set with the house key. I locked the door, walked outside.

And looked in my hand. DH's car keys were in my hand.

So I tried for three hours to break into my house. I even tried to break a window, but I couldn't get it to break. (I figured it would be cheaper to replace window than to get a locksmith.)

No go.

So I call a locksmith. He comes out, a cutie twentysomething who called his girl an "Angel" in a delicious Russian accent. "You're an Angel, is what you are. Do you want me to pick something up on the way home?"

I liked him after that.

Except he couldn't pick my lock. He had to drill a hole through it. Twice. What annoyed the heck out of me is that I COULD HAVE BOUGHT A DRILL AND DONE THAT FOR A QUARTER OF THE PRICE!!!!!

*sigh*

Where is DH? I hope he's okay.  It could be a storm, I guess.

17 bonus scribbles:

Edie 6/27/2008 10:17:00 AM  

Big hugs, Spy. Hope you hear from DH soon. I'm with you on the locksmith's drilling two holes in your door. I'm always afraid I'll do something like that.

Melanie Avila 6/27/2008 03:12:00 PM  

$1 per MG? That's crazy. My dad works on boats and my mom sometimes goes a week without hearing from him, so I understand a little what you're going through. I'm sorry everything seems to be going wrong at once, and esp that your door has been drilled. Twice.

Amy 6/27/2008 03:31:00 PM  

I hope you hear from the DH soon.

I'm sure you didn't think it was funny at the time (or maybe still don't) but LOL on the whole key thing. I say that with affection, because I HAVE TOTALLY DONE THAT. Twice. In the same day.

Zoe Winters 6/27/2008 04:18:00 PM  

I hope everything is okay. And I like that delicious Russian that calls his girl "Angel." You better write him or I will. :P

Karen Olson 6/27/2008 04:56:00 PM  

What does your DH do, Spy? I'm sure you'll hear from him very soon.

Aimless Writer 6/27/2008 09:18:00 PM  

Hang in there! There could be a million silly reasons he hasn't called yet. There were days when my dh didn't call and didn't even realize how much time had passed.
Let us know what his excuse is?

Michelle 6/28/2008 06:57:00 AM  

Mmmm. Spy, I hope you've heard from him by now. I understand your worry, and it is probably an internet thing.

Sorry about the keys, LOL. I've had to break into my house a couple of times, but my house was obviously less secure than yours :) .

spyscribbler 6/28/2008 10:32:00 AM  

Thanks, Edie! Finally heard from him this morning. Gosh, I was worried. And isn't that totally lame? Drilling? What happened to the art of locksmithing? I couldn't use that in a story.

spyscribbler 6/28/2008 10:33:00 AM  

Melanie, we're afraid to see the bill. We're betting his entire next paycheck will go to the internet.

Frustrating, but what can you do?

spyscribbler 6/28/2008 10:34:00 AM  

LOL, Amy. It's a tad embarrassing, but once the sting of the $125 is gone, I'm sure it will be funny.

Twice in the same day? That makes me feel better. :-)

spyscribbler 6/28/2008 10:35:00 AM  

Oh, Zoe, I WILL! A story is already brewing from just that one line of dialogue. I just love when that happens. I have a feeling my next novella will be called something "Angel." :-)

spyscribbler 6/28/2008 10:36:00 AM  

Karen, I'm actually not sure at the moment. I forgot to ask. He used to inspect food, but then he moved up to cooking, but now they want him to be an office manager. We only had a couple minutes on the phone.

spyscribbler 6/28/2008 10:37:00 AM  

Aimless, the internet and phone were down. And normally, I would just be annoyed he hadn't called me for so long, but ... I knew he'd call me on his birthday if he could, you know? So then I started worrying something had happened.

spyscribbler 6/28/2008 10:38:00 AM  

Michelle, thanks! I just heard from him this morning, thank God. Phew. I really have to learn how to walk out of the house with my keys!

Melanie Avila 6/28/2008 02:26:00 PM  

I'm glad you heard from him AND that there was a reasonable explanation. :)

Zoe Winters 6/28/2008 04:46:00 PM  

I can't wait to read it, Spy! I'll totally crit if you want.

spyscribbler 6/29/2008 01:57:00 AM  

LOL, Zoe. I think you won't even mind its kinkiness, since you've read Story of O three times. :-)