Wednesday, June 18, 2008

The Good, The Bad.

Book Roast is here

It describes itself as:

We slice and serve one author a day for fun and prizes and a good, old fashioned roasting. First, we whet your appetite with a short excerpt from the author's book, followed by three questions loosely related to the passage. Some questions are silly, others are straightforward and the rest are plain crunchy. For dessert, the author picks the winner who answers the most questions correctly – or the most creatively. We like spice, but some authors prefer things sweet, which makes Book Roast deliciously unpredictable.

The prize: a free copy of the author's book (and an occasional surprise!) Each contest runs 9am - 9pm Eastern Time (U.S.)

Best of all, authors will pop into the blog throughout the day to answer questions, share a laugh and toss out some insider tidbits.

Three of my favorite authors are lined up for Book Roast's debut weekend, Bernita (love her Lillie character!), Therese (Souvenir will make you cry. Promise.), and Erica (The Roofer is in my top five all-time favorite books, so is Do You Wear High Hells in Heaven?):

Weirdly, Bernita Harris - June 23
Souvenir, Therese Fowler - June 24
Head Case, Dennis Cass - June 25
The Roofer, Erica Orloff - June 26
Queen of the Road, Doreen Orion - June 27

Now the bad.

I'm going to the dentist today.

I'm scared.

The last time I went to the dentist, I tried to think of silver linings, ways to comfort myself. So I came up with this: If it hurts, if they yank a tooth out or something without numbing it, then it'll be good research for a torture scene.

This was not helpful.

I'm not even getting anything done today except x-rays and a cleaning. I'm going to a University place, because it's cheaper to deal with my root canal there.

But having students work on me is a little scary.

I've done it before, but I was a student myself, and let me tell you, the dental students were THE HOTTEST GUYS on campus. And I had several friends among them, so when I went, I was in a room with like three or five of my friends.

That was cool.

Not so cool now.

I'm scared.

9 bonus scribbles:

Rhonda Stapleton 6/18/2008 12:22:00 PM  

((hugs)) I'm afraid of the dentist, too. :( I'll be sending good vibes your way!!

Erica Orloff 6/18/2008 12:34:00 PM  

Hi Spy;
First, thanks. That means so much about my books.

Two . . . I will say a prayer for you. Yje way I always look at it . . . you pray or meditate not for it to "go away" but for the "best and most serene" experience possible. So that' smy wish. That you find calmness surrounding you for unexplained reasons . . . and just sail on through.

Peace,
E

conley730 6/18/2008 01:26:00 PM  

I went to the dentist this morning to get my teeth cleaned. I was a little nervous though because last time I went I had broken off a corner of one of my teeth and ended up having to get a root canal. I had a clean bill of health today though!

Thanks for the Book Roast info. I'm going to check it out.

Melanie Avila 6/18/2008 01:33:00 PM  

Good luck at the dentist. Keep in mind that no matter how bad it is today, it'd be much worse if you never went and all your teeth fell out. I knew a 38 year old who had all his teeth pulled because he never maintained them. 38 with dentures!

StarvingWriteNow 6/18/2008 02:08:00 PM  

That's okay, Son is afraid to get shots. I had to hold his hand last time.

You'll be all right.

spyscribbler 6/18/2008 08:09:00 PM  

Thanks, Rhonda! I think they helped!

Erica, best and most serene experience possible. I will keep that prayer in mind. Definitely!

Ohmigosh, Conley, that's what happened to me, today! So it might be as bad as two root canals, I guess we'll see. *sigh*

Melanie, that's what I keep telling myself. If I get my teeth fixed up now, then, you know. I'll have teeth! :-)

Writenow, I'm embarrassed to admit that the last three times I went to the dentist, DH held my hand. Except he's gone today. :-(

Therese 6/18/2008 09:35:00 PM  

Thanks for naming me a favorite!

Hope the dentist went well. I hate going, too--every one of my molars has at least one filling. :(

Edie 6/19/2008 12:19:00 AM  

I love the "best and most serene experience" prayer. I read ahead and know you came out of it okay. I hope he was hot though. You didn't mention that.

Bernita 6/19/2008 05:12:00 AM  

Sweet of you Dear Girl. Anyone who is NOT afraid/apprehensive of the dentist is weird.