Monday, June 30, 2008

I Need A Drink

A big, tall one. Actually, I need a whole night on the town. What happened where all my night-on-the-town friends just gradually disappeared?

So I got the root canal today.

It was EMBARRASSING, mostly. I was terrified. I actually had tears running down my face and I was shaking. Not trembling, but shaking.

You know, when I saw this ending to The Other Boleyn Girl, I though Natalie Portman had overdone the shaking. I thought, people don't shake like that.

Um, yeah, actually, they do.

When did I become such a wimp?

Nothing hurt except the one Novocain shot.

How was your last trip to the dentist?

 

22 bonus scribbles:

Zoe Winters 6/30/2008 03:34:00 PM  

Hey don't worry about it. I was so upset/anxious over the concept of being put to sleep to get my wisdom teeth taken out (had never had surgery) that they had to reschedule and give me a valium for the night before and morning of surgery.

spyscribbler 6/30/2008 03:45:00 PM  

Zoe, you have no idea how much better that makes me feel! I only have one wisdom tooth. I'm hoping I don't have to have it taken out!

I forgot to say, my dentist was really nice, really, really, really nice. And great. Thank God.

And some hottie was helping him out. :-)

Robin 6/30/2008 04:14:00 PM  

I just watched Natalie. Man, she does shake a lot. You couldn't have shaken that much. Could you?
I think valium was invented for the dentist's office. You aren't alone!

StarvingWriteNow 6/30/2008 04:47:00 PM  

You Survived! HOORAY! I knew you could do it.

conley730 6/30/2008 04:52:00 PM  

Did you at least get laughing gas? That should have relaxed you a bit. I had a root canal not too long ago. It wasn't fun, but the pain stopped immediately.

Aimless Writer 6/30/2008 04:52:00 PM  

Awww, its okay. Don't worry about it. People who work in dentist offices have seen it all. Fear does funny things. I've actually had one woman vomit on me she was so worked up. (I got to go home early that day!) A little shaking? Peanuts to the office staff. You were an easy one.
When I get nervous I think of trees. Palm trees, a forest of trees, any beautiful green trees swaying in the breeze. I don't know why this calms me, but it does.
Let your mind take a walk through a forest, down a beach, etc.
Would a book on tape/CD help? A good story to take you away?

conley730 6/30/2008 04:53:00 PM  

I forgot the most important part of my comment! If you're ever down my way or I'm ever up your way, we can definitely go out for drinkies. I don't get to do that too much either anymore now that I have kiddos. Plus, now that I'm older if I party one night I'm hung over for a week!

Edie 6/30/2008 06:52:00 PM  

My last visit was just a cleaning and some xrays, but I've had some that left me shaken and feeling weak for the rest of the night. It's not fun. Glad it turned out okay.

Michele 6/30/2008 09:01:00 PM  

Oh, I definitely shake when I'm nervous. It's bad. I didn't even think twice when I saw how much Natalie P. was shaking at the end of that movie...it looked right to me! :-)

Hope you're feeling better now.

M.

Liz Wolfe 6/30/2008 11:40:00 PM  

Spy, you have my sympathy! I had a wonderful dentist for years who really, really believed that if any of his patients felt any pain he wasnt' doing his job right. He even gave painless novacain shots. Unfortunately he's 1000 miles away now so I still get knotted up going to the dentist.
Just don't get me started on having the MRI. I totally freaked. The second they shoved me into that tube I heard a blood curdling scream. How embarrassing to discover it was coming from me!
The best thing is that gums, tongue and other mouth tissue heals very quickly.
Oh, and I still think that when I was a kid (in the stone age) dentists made everyone have soup for lunch after any kind of dental work because they KNEW we'd dribble it down our chins.

spyscribbler 7/01/2008 08:50:00 AM  

Well, Robin, it was actually more, like when she shook after the miscarriage. Except I couldn't find that video on YouTube! :-)

spyscribbler 7/01/2008 08:50:00 AM  

Writenow, I did! BIG phew. And I even had ice cold stuff last night and it didn't shoot pains up my face!

spyscribbler 7/01/2008 08:51:00 AM  

Erin, you got laughing gas? How unfair is that? I want laughing gas! And it is SO nice my tooth no longer hurts.

spyscribbler 7/01/2008 08:53:00 AM  

Aimless, I was actually terrified I would pee myself, LOL. I had to go pee like five times!

I was listening to Fearless Fourteen. I'm thinking next time I need to take some music. Or Twelve Sharp, that's my favorite. She needs to have some quality time with Ranger. I'm tired of Morelli.

spyscribbler 7/01/2008 08:54:00 AM  

Erin, ohmigosh, that is the TRUTH! I get SO sick, even after one glass of alcohol! Maybe not sick, but under the weather for a week. Yuck.

But if we're ever in the same vicinity, DEFINITELY! That would be a blast!

spyscribbler 7/01/2008 08:55:00 AM  

Edie, I know the feeling. I tried to go writing after, but I had to go home and take a nap. But I couldn't go to sleep. And then I got a RAGING headache. It really throws one off sorts!

spyscribbler 7/01/2008 09:11:00 AM  

Michele, I love that you do that, too! I felt a little embarrassed, though.

spyscribbler 7/01/2008 09:12:00 AM  

LOL, Liz! I had a dentist who felt making a cavity an unpleasant experience would make kids brush better and go to the dentist more often. It worked for the first, not so well for the second.

Rhonda Stapleton 7/01/2008 09:50:00 AM  

((hugs)) I don't like the dentist, either...if they could knock me out every time, I'd totally do it. LOL

Karen Olson 7/01/2008 06:45:00 PM  

I actually just watched this, since I never saw the film, and have to say, Anne had a lot more courage than that. And there was no note from Henry to Mary. He was off with Jane Seymour, getting ready to marry her, because he HATED Anne at that point.

Okay, I'll stop now. I shouldn't have watched that.

As for dentists? I just don't go unless something hurts...

spyscribbler 7/01/2008 11:03:00 PM  

I was a I-don't-go-unless-something-hurts person, too. It didn't work out so well for me, LOL.

Melanie Avila 7/02/2008 01:53:00 PM  

I had a bad experience with my wisdom teeth when I was nineteen, but since then it's been fine. I'm glad you made it through!