Saturday, June 28, 2008

I Need A Second (fifth?) Job ...

Because I've just discovered iTunes. Okay, not really. I've been using it for over a year to play the student's their songs.

But, like, ohmigosh, I just discovered iTunes.

It started when I decided to download all my CDs into iTunes. See, even though I had them semi-organized, when a student wants to hear something, I have to go digging through my CD collection. And I forget which piece is on which album, or I think I have something I don't, or I think I don't have something I do and I buy it.

When it's catalogued and folderized and playlisted on iTunes, it's just a two second click away. So I'm doing that.

But I've discovered the iTunes store. It started when one of my students (who has excellent taste in music which I take full credit for since I've taught him since he was a little guy) and Mark Terry (who I'm prejudiced to believe has good taste in music since he played piano) mentioned Jack Johnson.

So I went on iTunes and listened to the first 30 seconds of all his stuff. (Edie, he reminded me of you: happy.)

I like.

And then I've always been curious about Coldplay.

I like.

The thing about iTunes, is there is SO MUCH music. It's like a freakin' aural candy store! There's everything. Everything! I've been listening to thirty second snippets of all my old favorites, Dylan, U2, The Cure, a lot of musicals, and a ton of others.

Then this cataloguing and playlisting thing is SO cool. I have all the Beethoven Slow Movements from his Sonatas in a playlist, and last night I couldn't go to sleep for listening to them.

It's crazy, but it seems like I don't listen to as much music because I'm too lazy to go rooting through my CD collection.

This is SO convenient. iTunes is, like, heaven.

But I can't buy any. No budget for it until at least September. And it's KILLING me. If I won the lottery, I could easily spend $2,000 within an hour. I LOVE iTunes!

I want an iPod for my birthday.

(Update on DH: The internet and phone were down (provided by the same company). All is okay. He hasn't received my birthday package yet and didn't confess his birthday to anyone, so he spent his birthday all alone. Poor guy.

Man, he had me worried. I knew there was NO way he wouldn't call me on his birthday, let alone skip three days! )

Anyway, have you discovered the glory of iTunes? The software is free, if you want to download and catalogue your music.  The songs aren't, though. Except you can listen to free 30 second snippets of ANY MUSIC IN THE WHOLE WORLD! That is THE coolest.

So if you have iTunes, what tricks do you use? Do make a new playlist everyday? How do you organize it? I'm pretty new to the whole iTunes universe.

15 bonus scribbles:

Mark Terry 6/28/2008 11:14:00 AM  

I've rather pointedly made a rule for myself--one album or equivalent per month. Get an iPod video or touch, because you can download TV episodes for $1.99, which is quite handy in airports, airplanes and long car rides. I've got episodes of Bones, Stargate SG-1, Stargate Atlantis, Star Trek: Enterprise, New Amsterdam, Farscape (a new discovery).

Yep, iTunes is like being a pill addict and being given the key to the pharmacy.

Robin 6/28/2008 12:05:00 PM  

I don't listen to i tunes that much, but I'm addicted to books on tape. I belong to audible.com. I buy the books on audible, they download onto i tunes, and then I put them on my i pod. It's wonderful.

Melanie Avila 6/28/2008 02:30:00 PM  

I don't buy many songs, but I've been an itunes addict for years. I used to swap songs with my coworkers and I have all kinds of playlists set up. 80s mix, salsa mix, My Happy Songs (which is the best because it's all my favorite songs BUT I have to play it when I'm alone because there are some weird ones on there.)

Aimless Writer 6/28/2008 02:36:00 PM  

Love itunes. I got an ipod last Christmas and it goes everywhere with me now.

Glad your DH is well.

spyscribbler 6/28/2008 03:05:00 PM  

That is so cool, Mark. Yeah, I'm begging for an iPod for Birthday/Christmas. I'd like an iTouch! Well, a girl can dream, right?

I'm definitely going to have to do the budget thing. It will help that it's tax deductible. So cool. :-)

spyscribbler 6/28/2008 03:06:00 PM  

Robin, I'm an Audible girl, too! I don't have an iPod, but I download the books to my Palm Pilot.

Have heard the Stephanie Plum books on Audible? Better than TV. Definitely better than TV!

spyscribbler 6/28/2008 03:07:00 PM  

That's so cool, Melanie. I can't wait to get my music organized. :-)

And now I want to know what's on your "My Happy Songs" playlist!

spyscribbler 6/28/2008 03:08:00 PM  

Aimless, I can understand that! I've been lugging around my laptop. Doesn't quite have the same convenience factor, LOL.

Zoe Winters 6/28/2008 04:48:00 PM  

I'm glad things are ok with the hublet. Also, LMAO @ "folderized" hehe.

My husband uses itunes like a crazy ninja. He's SO obsessed with his ipod. He takes it everywhere with him. Even to the library while I looked at books today. It cracks me up. He's so adorable.

amy,  6/29/2008 12:26:00 AM  

Love iTunes. Totally. The kids love it, the parents love it. Love it. Wish I had some way to organize everything (or, rather, the time to do it), but I just search for what I want and play, play, play.

Edie 6/29/2008 12:57:00 AM  

Hublet? Never heard that before, but I like it. Spy, so glad he called and everything is all right.

Thanks for comparing me to Jack Johnson. I just went over to YouTube and listened to one of his songs. He's great!

I don't have any of his stuff. I'm careful with my money right now. Someday ... I just hope it comes soon.

spyscribbler 6/29/2008 01:17:00 AM  

Zoe, I couldn't think of a word for it! :-) Once I get an iPod, I'm totally going to be like your husband. It's addicting!

spyscribbler 6/29/2008 01:18:00 AM  

Amy, that sounds like heaven. I can't get over it. It's amazing! An iPod is definitely on my wish list!

spyscribbler 6/29/2008 01:21:00 AM  

Edie, I'm the same way. I've been staying at home. A LOT, which isn't that great for my writing.

If I win the lottery, I'll buy all of us some iTunes!

Melanie Avila 6/29/2008 12:11:00 PM  

I realized I was opening myself up to that when I mentioned my playlist. ;)