Saturday, June 14, 2008

A New Bookstore

I'm so happy.

I'm in a new bookstore out of town because a couple of my students are in a competition this weekend. (They won first place. I'd like to think they would have won first place even if there had been other competitors in their division.)

It's a Borders, and the Borders takes up the WHOLE building. It's larger than most Borders, but it's not two-story. It's long. And it's not just long. It's crowded long.

Like, if you stand in the middle of the store, drowning in books could be a definitely possibility.

In fact, I decided today how I wanted to die. I want to die in the middle of a Borders, in old age and preferably after I've written 100 books. I want to die flat in the middle of a BIG Borders under a pile of a thousand books.

Heaven.

The aisles are so crowded you can barely get around, and the book cases go so high you need a foot stool. I made the rounds three times before I could concentrate enough to even start thinking about which books were going to be my friends today.

(Dickens' Bleak House and the writing book I've never read before.)

I was so giddy, I noticed I was grinning. And by the third lap I had tears in my eyes.

I'm sure you think I'm kidding or exaggerating.

Or maybe you understand.

Is there a seven-story bookstore anywhere? Where's the biggest bookstore in the whole world? I've decided: that's where I want to go on vacation next summer.

14 bonus scribbles:

Robin 6/14/2008 05:31:00 PM  

Borders rocks! I love Borders. Plus, they send me awesome, enticing coupons all the time (not to mention the free capuccino on my birthday). I share your adoration and do not find "tears in one's eyes" an over-reaction.

Edie 6/14/2008 09:41:00 PM  

I love this blog! That's how I feel walking in my library. Like it's a sacred place. I love it so much.

I've never been to a Borders or a Books-A-Mmillion. :(

Aimless Writer 6/15/2008 09:03:00 AM  

Just don't start dancing in the aisles! Although, I probably wouldn't be able to contain myself. There's a giant book store up in Havard Square in Boston. I can't remember the name but it was like heaven. I never wanted to leave! My family had to drag me out kicking and screaming.
I feel your joy!

Stewart Sternberg 6/15/2008 12:47:00 PM  

I love Borders, and not just because you can buy my writing at Borders. I think it is that Borders will take chances with writers that Barnes and Noble won't. I'll tell you what I miss most though, I miss the independent booksellers. The small bookstore, although it never had the selection you'll find at the superstores, it had a charm that the others can't match.

Christina 6/15/2008 03:54:00 PM  

I always thought I'd like to be buried under a huge library or book store. That way if there is an "afterlife" I'd be happily reading it away.

StarvingWriteNow 6/16/2008 06:20:00 AM  

Okay, you can die in Borders just as long as its not a day when I'm supposed to meet you there. Are you back home now?

Bernita 6/16/2008 06:46:00 AM  

Books = greed. Lust.

spyscribbler 6/17/2008 10:11:00 AM  

Robin, so true! Although, their Rewards program used to be much better. It was disappointing when they changed it. :-(

spyscribbler 6/17/2008 10:13:00 AM  

Oh, Edie, I remember that magical feeling in a library! Our local ones don't have that ... essence. But the HUGE one around where I grew up?

I looked forward to it all week!

spyscribbler 6/17/2008 10:14:00 AM  

Aimless, you know, I'm dying to visit Boston. And New York City. Those are two places I haven't been that I desperately want to see!

spyscribbler 6/17/2008 10:15:00 AM  

Stewart, we have the most charming bookstore here in Chagrin Falls. I'd go more, but I can't write there! And they have a really tiny selection. But ... the smell is amazing. It smells like books!

Oh, and all the floorboard creak. It's great.

spyscribbler 6/17/2008 10:16:00 AM  

Perfect, Christina! Definitely heaven!

spyscribbler 6/17/2008 10:16:00 AM  

ROFL, Writenow! Okay, that's a deal! I'm home, btw. I'm free this Thursday - Sunday, any Borders you want. :-)

spyscribbler 6/17/2008 10:17:00 AM  

Yeah, I hear you, Bernita. :-)