Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Snark Day Again

Two snarks because I can't help it. It might be that time of the month. *sigh*

First, March of Dimes, SO NOT COOL. You sent me a dime and asked me to return it to you. It's going to cost me 41 cents to return it to you! It feels like you're forcing me to donate to you.

Look, I give where I can, and we all have to choose where we want to give our giving money, and, March of Dimes, you are not it..

Usually I can only give a measly $10, but currently I am saving up because I'm sponsoring each of my students one penny for every minute they practice this summer, with the proceeds going to the Bright Side of the Road Foundation, which will really add up because my kids practice a LOT.

So it's not like I'm a stingy person. Every time a blog friend asks, I throw at least ten dollars toward their charity, even when I'm broke. But this dime shtick? SO NOT COOL. Now I feel guilty for keeping the dime, or irritated that I have to spend the 41 cents. And yes, my budget goes down to those 41 cents. There is no such thing as pocket change at the moment.

And, why would I give money to a charity who has the money to mail out MILLIONS of dimes? That adds up. How many of those get returned? I bet not a high percentage for a mass mailing. So my donation would probably go straight into the trash can. I don't want to donate to a charity where my money isn't going to help anything but advertising for that charity.

So ... I guess I'm going to imagine, March of Dimes, that you wanted to donate your dime to sponsor ten minutes of my students' practicing. You said, after all, that you're all about children. Why not give some children a few more years to spend with their father or mother who has ALS?

At least your dime won't end up in the trash.

I erased the second snark of the day. I'm feeling better.

I am also writing complete sentences today, with subjects, verbs, and everything. This is a step up.

If I have time tonight, I'll try to finish a post I started awhile back on SEO for authors and why I think it's important. It might be tomorrow or the next day. I'm on a writing streak, and preparing two students for a competition. And I have to send out a mailing and ...

Yeah, well.

How's your writing going? Have a snark you care to share? I'm in the mood for a snarkfest. Sometimes it feels so good to just vent.

23 bonus scribbles:

Melanie Avila 6/04/2008 02:26:00 PM  

Perfect timing. I got followed/chased on my morning run and that just set the tone for my entire day. I even yelled at some small children. Grr.

Fortunately my MC is at a point where he needs some backbone, so maybe my mood will help.

Anissa 6/04/2008 03:06:00 PM  

This drives me crazy too! I've seen it done by a number of charities. I always feel that if they can afford to send out money at random, then they obviously don't need more from me. Irritating.

spyscribbler 6/04/2008 03:24:00 PM  

What a day, Melanie! What's MC mean? I'm just a little envious of your adventures in Mexico, even when they scare me!

spyscribbler 6/04/2008 03:25:00 PM  

It's really irritating, because I don't want their dime. I really don't. I wanted to send it back, but it will cost me 41 cents! (Or more? Hasn't it gone up?)

I'm happy to share everything I have. I just don't like feeling like they're taking it from me, rather than me sharing it.

Bailey Stewart 6/04/2008 06:25:00 PM  

Wow, a whole dime? The most I've gotten from these charities is a nickel. Obviously I'm on the wrong charity mailing list.

spyscribbler 6/04/2008 06:36:00 PM  

Thanks, Melanie! *blush* I should say, duh! Stupid me!

spyscribbler 6/04/2008 06:36:00 PM  

ROFL, Bailey! This is the first time a charity has sent ME money. Annoying.

Liz Wolfe 6/04/2008 07:50:00 PM  

I get annoyed at the ones who send me address labels and card personalized with my name. I don't want them and it makes me feel obligated.
Spy, what's SEO mean?
How's the writing going? What writing? I'm doing the ambivalent thing where I think I should finish the mystery that's due in November, then I think I should finish the Paranormal Suspense. I'm bouncing back and forth so much that I can't even get my plots worked out. I need about a month in a hotel room all alone.

spyscribbler 6/04/2008 08:02:00 PM  

I know what you mean, Liz. Although, I do have to admit that I use those address labels. Without donating. I didn't ask for them, so what else am I going to do with them?

It's not like I'm stingy, truly. I have my charities, I swear.

SEO means Search Engine Optimization. It means being award of how and where you rank in keyword search, and controlling it to the extent that you can.

A month alone sounds awesome. I'm thinking of hibernating next week.

Aimless Writer 6/04/2008 08:52:00 PM  

I can't snark today. I'm too sad. But I think its silly for the March of Dimes to send out those dimes. How many got thrown out without being opened? What a waste!

spyscribbler 6/04/2008 09:13:00 PM  

Seriously, Aimless, YES! If there are 5,000 in my community, then they're probably sending out at least 100,000 per state. Do you know how much money in dimes that is?

HALF A MILLION DOLLARS!!!!

Edie 6/05/2008 12:04:00 AM  

Stamps for regular letters are 42 cents now. I don't even like it when charities send me return address stickers with my name or my husband's name. That makes me feel obligated. Like you, I want to give to a charity of my choice, not out of a misplaced obligation. I would resent giving, and the idea is to feel good about giving.

spyscribbler 6/05/2008 12:14:00 AM  

Edie, I totally agree. I was all ready to send it back without a donation, I was all ready to put the extra time in doing that one thing, but then they didn't include a postage-paid envelope. That put me over the edge.

And funny, after all this, I meant to keep the dime and put it towards my students. Guess what? I was cleaning my desk, and I accidentally threw it away with the mail-trash.

I guess I'll go rooting through. Tomorrow.

I mean, now I have the bad luck to worry about for throwing away money.

*sigh*

Bernita 6/05/2008 06:31:00 AM  

I despise charities which use the same tactics as con artists and most of their fund raising goes for administration.

lainey bancroft 6/05/2008 09:30:00 AM  

Huh, I got a nickle the other day, and an envelope of labels with my name spelled wrong! If they'd spelled it right I would have used them, though. Better that than wasting them.

The other charity scam I hate is phone solicitation. Are they volunteers? Of course not. If I sent ten bucks, eight of it would go to wages. So I am in affect PAYING someone to harrass my family at dinner time! Grr.

conley730 6/05/2008 10:34:00 AM  

I don't feel obligated at all when the charities send me labels or note pads with my name on them. They've run numbers and decided it was worth it to send those. They had to figure "x" percent of people won't send anything back. I get them from the same charities over and over. My kids were preemies, so I am glad March of Dimes does what they do, but I wouldn't have sent them back that dime either!!!

Josephine Damian 6/05/2008 10:57:00 AM  

How's the writing going?

Am writing a novel for the first time in eight years! It's just like riding a bike - easy.

The hard part is writing my master's thesis at the same time - in meeting my page quota for my thesis so I can get back to the novel for 3 days. I'm using a reward system to manage - write up 25 pages of thesis research and earn 3 days to work on the WIP.

My only snark is my blog break'll be over sooner than later and I'll have those demands as well. My plan now is to blog less once my break is over.

spyscribbler 6/05/2008 10:01:00 PM  

Bernita, I couldn't agree more.

Lainey, that's awful! I can't stand when the phone rings. Well, I think y'all know how I feel about the phone. I got rid of it, and got a Grand Central number. Now only the important calls come through. :-)

spyscribbler 6/05/2008 10:02:00 PM  

Conley, I know what you mean. I mean, I just can't donate because they send me something. I have particular issues I've chosen to make important in my life. The others? I can't do everything.

I was a preemie, too. Born October 6. I was supposed to be born in December, LOL. I was supposed to die!

spyscribbler 6/05/2008 10:03:00 PM  

Sounds like a good reward system, Josephine! Wow ... I wish writing a novel were easy for me, LOL!

Avery 6/06/2008 01:17:00 PM  

That whole guilt thing doesn't stop me from using their dime or their address labels. I didn't ask for them, so why should I feel bad? But, that's just me.

My writing is flat. Out. Stalled. It's this whole house thing. We have a settlement date, it gets moved. We get another, it gets moved. All I can think of is, "When, now?" So, I'm trying to do some research and backstory, but I'm getting very close to nowhere, fast.

conley730 6/06/2008 01:52:00 PM  

You weren't supposed to die!!! Mine were 8 weeks early - due September 21st, born July 30th. I was pretty sure with twins they'd be early, just not that early. They were each over 3 lbs. though which is pretty big for a preemie. Maybe if March of Dimes wasn't sending out all those dimes they could prevent more premature births!